Difference between CO2 and Green Gas/Propane GBBs?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by fradd, Sep 29, 2012.

1. fradd

fradd New Member

What's the diff?
    Well, okay, I know the main differences, like CO2 is more powerful, it comes in a canister, it works better in the cold.

But I want to know which one costs less over time.
    So I know that 1 single CO2 canister will last about 80 shots on average.
    Whereas a propane powered gun will last about 2 magazines worth of BBs in one fill, so about 40 BBs.

This means that for every CO2 canister, you will need 2 fills of propane to shoot the same number of shots.
    25*80 = 2000. So 2000 shots for every 15 dollars, since that is the cost of one pack of twenty-five CO2 canisters.

A Coleman propane canister is 3 USD, and a propane adapter is 20 USD one time.

3rd question: How many fills of a green gas magazine will a 16.4 oz. Coleman propane canister last?
    If I know this, then I can calculate how many propane canisters will be needed to fire 2000 rounds.
    And then, I can find whether CO2 or propane is more cost effective.

And yes mods, I used search. I didn't find much, partly because it rules out the words "co2" and "gas". So basically my search became "green"...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. Hydra572

Hydra572 New Member

Superior
    Ok, this is actually a pretty complex question. GBB guns are better judged individually, or by brand if nessacary. To sum things up blithely, if the CO2 gun that you are considering is made by someone other than KJW, don't bother. Low end CO2 guns are prone to breakage (not because CO2 has magical powers, because the build quality is crap) and usually replacement parts are not available. In Airsoft terms, that means they are a very bad investment. This quality problem by is by far more significant than how much gas costs. KJW on the other hand, makes some nice CO2 guns, that are still more prone to breakage in specific parts (loading nozzles, magazines) again, not because of the overwhelming power of CO2, because they are trying in vain to use simmilar parts in their CO2 guns that they use in their green gas ones.

After that rant, I'll answer your question simply, a Coleman Propane cylinder gives you lots of mags, because of this, propane is cheaper than CO2 and Green Gas. CO2 may last 80 rounds, but in a GBB, after 2 mags and possibly less than that, you'll be wanting to switch the CO2.

What price range are you looking for a gun in? Which guns are you considering?

3. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

I heard from somewhere that propane is supposedly shoot slightly higher than green gas, but aren't they almost essentially the same, if you take away the addition on silicone oil and the deodorizing agent? What is the right mixture of silicone oil and propane to make it almost identical to green gas? Speaking of KJW CO2 guns, I bought the KP07 recently, because of its versatility of being able to use both green gas and CO2. Would this gun be an exception to the rule with its upgraded internals? How about proper handling, operation, and maintenance on a CO2/green gas compatible gun?
    I also find it kinda retarded that some indoor fields would not allow propane but allows green gas on their facility. Their reason? Ventilation and fire codes. I wish mythbusters could do their scientific research on this issue and finally allow propane use on indoor fields...

4. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Sweet Hydra dropped in his two cents. Seems like I haven't seen any of your posts in a lil while

Green gas and Propane
    Yes green gas is essentially propane, to the point where you can ALMOST say Green gas = propane. The only difference is amount of silicon oil and scent. In regards to getting propane to perform identically to green gas, well it ain't possible (every single time). You'd need an extremely steady hand and a laboratory. In short, 1-3 drops of silicon per mag fill. The next question is how big is a drop, and what's to say those 1-3 drops are actually going into your mag and not bouncing around inside the propane adapter?

Upgrades
    What Hydra meant is that there are very few CO2 pistol upgrade and replacement parts out there. Often you purchase a CO2 pistol and what you get out the box is what you're "stuck" with until you throw it away or it breaks.

Green gas OK, Propane NOT
    It's simply because one, smell, and two, verbiage.
    Green gas sounds environmentally safe and friendly. Propane is that stuff we use to cook food on our stoves and camping equipment. Yes, same exact thing for the most part, but it's how most look at it.
    It's also the reason we say "Fatal accident" than "Deadly accident" in many occasions. Both mean the same thing, but fatal is often taken easier than using a variant of the word "dead"

OP: Yeah, I know searching 3 letter words is a pain on most forums. There are a few tricks, but even then they're iffy at best.

5. TheDraconicTyr

TheDraconicTyr New Member

For the propan it is supposed to be the same but when I did a comparison on an 85 degree day I got a drop of 20fps when using propane.

6. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

Thanks for the info... Good to know that there are people that actually use science as a method to state facts, not just an opinion... I would like to read posts that have these types of answers... Will look up "verbiage" on the dictionary later, lmao! Who said you can't learn from Airsoft!

7. fradd

fradd New Member

I'm looking mostly from 80 to 110 USD. I might pay as much as 120 if I really like the look of the gun (Deagle).
    So far I've looked at some WE M9s, WE M1911s, Desert Eagles, KJWs, and KWCs. Those seem to be the main brands around my price range.

I need the gun to have blowback. I very much want trades on it. It'd also be nice to have a threaded barrel and/or a rail, but those aren't really necessary. I'm looking for M9s, M1911s (only if they have nice trades), Deagles, Sig Sauer, Glock, H&K. Pretty much anything.

8. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    Co2 is pressured at a higher pressure than GG and Propane (which has a higher pressure than GG), thus it shoots harder but it also puts more wear on the gun. Propane is cheaper than GG, a bottle of shock oil and a tank of propane will give you more than twice the fills of green gas for like $6 bucks. Co2 usually will give you more shots, though sometimes guns with higher kick from blowback or higher rate of fire will have around the same (if not less).

Personally with your price range, go KJW. WE can sometimes be okay, but their QC is spotty at best and you could get a gun that'll last for years or a gun that'll last for a few mags. KJW to me is the best budget stuff, I've had 3 of them and have been more than pleased. Of course I'm a TM pistol fanboy (followed by KWA) then a KJW, but for your budget, I would trust KJW over anything else.

9. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

KJW KP07... Can use both green gas and CO2. It is an M1911 MEU with a rail... Replace the main slide with a slide that have markings, or get the stock one engraved. There is also a replacement outer barrel that is threaded. $110 at Evike. They also have a slide that have the eagle globe and anchor (the Marine Corps insignia) and says USMC M1911 MEU on it

10. TheDraconicTyr

TheDraconicTyr New Member

We hi capa series is a good line of guns. I have one and am very satisfied with it. It hold a lot to(27-30) which is very high for a pistol. If your looking for a high capacity gun go for the hi capa series.

11. Hydra572

Hydra572 New Member

Superior
    OP, if I were you I'd get a KJW 1911 or Hi-Capa. No nice trades, but a much nicer gun. I'd avoid the Cybergun Desert Eagle, and anything by WE. CplFlores, I've been through the rigmoroll of upgrading a KP07. Some parts are easily upgradable, many are not. I can try to answer specific questions, but its been a while for me.

12. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

The only upgrade that I am thinking to do is to grab a threaded outer barrel, and maybe a tightbore inner barrel. I am also interested on that carbine kit Evike has. Both upgrades should be easy. Oh, for some weird reason, my mags don't hold enough gas when I load it up with green gas. I do one 4 second press on the green gas can to the mag (like it is instructed on the sticker) and I only get up to 8 shots... I have to press the can to the mag 3-4 times of 4 second loads... Is this normal?

13. fradd

fradd New Member

Okay. I can't use green gas or propane, because I live in Colorado, and it gets cold.

So are the KJW's compatible with CO2 1911 mags.

EDIT: Oh, I see it does take CO2 mags. That's cool.
    But still, I wanted uniqueness. I guess that's not available at my price range?

14. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

Elaborate on how unique you want your gun to be? Do you want it to look different? Do you want it to perform different? Style different? I would use my gun (the KP07) as an example.
    Performance and cosmetic wise, since it it a TM clone, there are tons of aftermarket parts that you could either add or replace on it. My gun also supposedly is CO2 ready. Most aftermarket parts are colored differently so they could be easily identified as an aftermarket part. Performance upgrades normally consist of tightbore barrels, enhanced Hopup quality, better piston and piston heads, reinforced mechanisms and so forth. Cosmetically, you could add a different colored outer barrel, threaded outer barrel, different grips (real wood, aluminum, rubberized) grip emblems, skeleton triggers and hammers, mag well lips (I don't think there are any available for M1911's) custom engraved slides, and other attachments (such as lasers, lights, laser/light combos, provides it comes with a rail system). You could also take it to get custom painted, or do it yourself (some come in different colors when purchased stock) and so forth. Trademark wise, you could find ones with trademarks already on them or get it personally engraved. Again, it's all up to you what you wanna do. Make sure you ask other people in the forums whether or not its worth replacing/customizing a part. Some mods might not be suited/advisable for a gun. Hope I gave you an idea on what you wanna do with your future gun. Also as a budget airsofter that I am, I do my upgrades little by little, or if you could wait, save your money, and purchase all of your parts at once. I was going to attach some pics as far as parts are concerned, but it won't let me post them for some reason. Just check out my gun pics on my profile.

15. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

For the fill valve o rings, are they necessary? One fell out on one of my mags...

16. fradd

fradd New Member

Yes, that and silicon is what seals it so it doesn't leak gas. I think.

OT: By unique I mean different looking, looks wise.