Difference between milsim and regular airsoft

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by airsoftbum1578, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airsoftbum1578

airsoftbum1578 New Member

I just got into airsoft and i always get confused between airsoft and milsim. If you know please tell me!

2. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    Regular airsoft sucks. MILSIM is cool.

Enough 'ideology' lol.

I don't know if I can define 'regular airsoft' because there are too many options, perspectives, variety of games, different interests, etc. It's like defining 'regular music'.

MILSIM, however, is much more limited. I'd say the principle that defines all versions of MILSIM is that there are "extra rules".
    • Limits on magazines, or magazine capacity.
    • Specific uniforms
    • Weapons that don't shoot BB, or don't include getting 'hit' by something, so they need more rules to explain how you are hit
    • Medic rules
    • ROE - or scenario-specific rules / expectations in addition to 'shoot the bad guys'
    • How to be 'hit' or 'dead' - often there are standards for this that are more elaborate than 'typical' rules
    I see it similar to bouldering, vs. alpine climbing, in the sport of climbing. Bouldering has very specific 'rules' for what you can touch or not touch as you climb. Alpine climbing generally says 'whatever works- just don't die'.

Or stock car racing. You have to use a specific type of car within specific standards. The limits are added to keep the style of race a certain way.

MILSIM rules are meant to eliminate actions or outcomes that are too 'unrealistic' which would prevent a military - combat atmosphere.

Also, in my opinion, MILSIM elements are added to promote a military-style environment - like operational planning, military-style communications, military standards of behavior, etc.

Not 'all' airsoft is for 'everyone'. Some don't like MILSIM - some 'MILSIM-players' don't like what we do at LZ-. Some don't like 20-minute 'death matches' in a small area. But, to keep the 'sport' and the industry growing, tolerance of how others play is important. MILSIM purchasers fund R&D of the manufacturers. Speedball players keep fields from going bankrupt. And large communities - diverse like the one here - enable manufacturers and retailers to advertise. And it gives us a voice against BS state and local laws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.