difference in torque vs high speed

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by certlife, Jan 5, 2013.

1. certlife

certlife New Member

I have a g&g m4 and i am looking yo upgrade motors and spring and all of the above. Can someone help me along i have been doing alot of research and i figured a 120 spring and motor might be good.

2. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    Get the HT, you don't have the right gear set for a HS motor. You also need a new gear set to to with the m120 and the HT motor. 16:1 or 18:1 lonex gears will be good. If we are talking the G&G Combat Machine then yes.

3. certlife

certlife New Member

So the difference in torque and high speed is

4. Zardichar

Zardichar New Member Supporting Member

NW
    High torque motors have more torque than high speed... high speed motors are used in high rps setups, which require different gears, torque is used in high fps setups.
    There are much better upgrades that you can do for your gun besides motor and spring.

5. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    In the G&G CM its downfall is its crappy motor so yes he needs a new motor ASAP. The spring can wait. He can do hop up/range mods:
    R-Hop
    M nub
    TBB 6.03
    .25 bbs
    New bucking

6. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

High speed motors have actually become kinda obsolete now that we have high torque motors with neo magnets that have a ridiculous mount of torque and can pull heavy springs on super high speed gears. High torque motors are actually better for high speed, they will give a much better trigger response and have a much lower power consumption. You simply compensate for their lower speed with lower gear ratio.

500fps at 45rps would be considered insane a few years ago, now it's not even that difficult with the latest generation high torque motors and high speed gears.

7. certlife

certlife New Member

Awesome. I have a another question. What kinda of barrel should i get

8. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    What's your budget and have you done your hop up unit yet?

9. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Prometheus if you have the funds, Madbull if you're budget building.

10. Star_folder

Star_folder Active Member

Lexington
    Since when do motors require specific gear sets?

11. certlife

certlife New Member

Not really on a budget. And the gun is still stock. I just ordered the motor today. I am wanting to add a silencer to the gun for the look so i will need a longer barrel

12. CoppertopNeasg

Boston
    They never have... I see no reason why a high speed motor should ever be used when high torque motors can produce much better results when stronger springs and short stroking is used.

13. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    Nice job repeating what Nortech said, takes skill.
    Get the prommy if you can.

14. certlife

certlife New Member

So back to the question. I have have to upgrade rhe hop-up when i upgrade rhe barrel

15. CoppertopNeasg

Boston
    It is not a 100% necessity but you will get a much bigger performance increase if you upgrade to rhop first.

16. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Actually it would make more sense to upgrade the barrel THEN do the hop-up modification. But yes, I will agree that the Rhop isn't absolutely necessary.
    I personally like the simpler mods such as the floss mod.

17. CoppertopNeasg

Boston
    You are so completely wrong it is not even funny. It is a widely accepted fact the hop up unit should be upgraded. If you think that the floss mod performance increase compared to the performance increase of rhop or one of its variants when installed correctly and MNub used then you have never used a gun with a properly installed rhop unit.

18. Axis

Axis Active Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

You may want to install a flat hop instead of a R-Hop first. Installing a R-Hop is extremely difficult for some, so if you install a flat hop you could get a feel for installing a R-Hop, if you see what I'm saying.

19. CoppertopNeasg

Boston
    I actually didn't repeat what Nortech said. I gave my personal opinion on high torque motors and why they are better. I see nothing in Nortech's post about stronger springs being used in conjunction with short stroking. I do however see Nortech state that high tourque motors can pull strong springs on high speed gears. Maybe you should brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

20. Star_folder

Star_folder Active Member

Lexington
    You people forget, that if you install an r-hop, and then install a new barrel, you'll need to reinstall your r-hop. Buster had a point with that. It would be better to replace the barrel first, and then install an r-hop.