Discussion: Are we overly obsessed with Airsoft gun performance?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by link0, May 14, 2018.

1. link0

link0 Active Member

San Jose
    Let me intro by saying that I'm actually pretty new to playing airsoft. I've been playing for around a year, but have become fairly knowledgeable about guns and their performance from obsessive researching and tinkering. I used to be the same way about road cycling, where I would tinker with and obsess about having the best Dura Ace components and lightest possible carbon fiber wheels, more than actually riding (I suck at riding). I'm realizing that there is massive diminishing returns for performance in Airsoft, just like cycling. A gun that's twice as expensive will usually only perform 1-2% better.

Most of the fields local to me are fairly short range (under 80ft engagements), but I've had the chance recently to drive further out to some longer range fields. It was a pretty windy day, and boy was I surprised.

My two rifles were shooting at 400fps limit of the field and all have Rhops, blah blah, etc. My red dot and my 4x scope were zeroed. I used 0.3g BBs (washed too, lol). However, I didn't feel like I had any real advantage over any basic stock combat machine. The presence of wind made accuracy pretty laughable. The use of scopes felt pointless too as tracing the BBs visually was far more effective than relying on the scope's zero. I noticed that the best/most successful player there (he was really good) didn't even have iron sights on his gun and was running it bare (I'm assuming he has a lot of skill with quickly tracing his shots).

I also noticed that pretty much everyone had about the same effective range (around 170ft or so). Having an extra 20 ft of extra maximum range is pretty negligible, when the BBs were being blown everywhere by the wind past a certain distance, it just became a game of spray and pray.

That said, my takeaway is that range/accuracy upgrades are overrated unless it's a zero wind day or if you are running 0.40+ heavy weight BBs and your field allows for high joule snipers. I don't think I'll ever think about buying a Prometheum or PDI barrel. Thoughts?

And a short video of this past weekend for your entertainment:

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. cetane

cetane Active Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    Short answer: yes....

I spend more time tinkering and tuning than playing. I actually enjoy that part more lol

3. Overwatch97

Overwatch97 Active Member

Yep. Some people are far far better techs than they are at actually playing airsoft. (But at least they can make money off it) The vice versa is true as well. It’s like those long Milsims where by the second day some people’s beefy guns are starting to break down, but yet those with near stock guns are still laying down fire.

As long as a bullet comes out the barrel you can do something for your team.

link0 likes this.
  4. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Martinsburg
    Not really...most of my time teching is spent trying to keep my guns running/competitive lol. I've yet to build a DSG [though that might happen in the very near future].

OPERATOR SPECTRE likes this.
  5. Honeybadgerz17

Honeybadgerz17 Active Member

Bellevue
    Honestly I love tinkering on my guns so much that I have three of them partially disassembled sitting around my room. Really the only reason I still have a working gun is that I told myself I'm not going to touch the krytac internals till it breaks, lol

6. link0

link0 Active Member

San Jose
    You have either a lot of guns or they are really high stress builds? I don't see a mild stress AEG that's well built and tuned breaking down until 50k to 100k+ rounds at least.

I have 4 AEGs running pretty smoothly now, so I ran out of stuff to do.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  7. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    I did use to have a lot of guns, but I managed to sell most of them off within the last year or two. Honestly, I just tend to only tech out of necessity. I don't even have anything over 430fps or 30rps at the moment. Though I will say that 'necessity' is highly objective... I've only had one gun break during use [loaned it to a newb, prior to upgrading/tuning it]. Main thing is, previously I didn't have the funding to actually do many schuae builds. While that's no longer a real issue, the current limitation is simply finding the time.

BOA_SP3CT3R and link0 like this.
  8. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Well-Known Member

Bull Shoals
    All my AEG's and AEP are in pieces ATM:p
    I want to build at least one DSG and DMR this year, and a few balanced guns.

In my experience I've had an advantage(sometimes small) with my guns over stock guns, mainly from effective range and trigger response.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  9. link0

link0 Active Member

San Jose
    I agree there is a small advantage in actual combat with a fully upgraded AEG (who doesn't love a crispy trigger response?). And of course the best advantage is having a durable/reliable build that won't go down in the middle of a game.

The problem is that all the popular Youtubers and retail stores try to make people believe that a more expensive gun will get you more kills on the field and is necessary to be competitive. I've played with a stock combat machine for many games and it feels like a 1-2% disadvantage and nothing to be worried about.

OPERATOR SPECTRE and -Spitfire- like this.
  10. NorsemanSDD

NorsemanSDD Active Member

Rice
    I think your observations are very good.

With airsoft versus real firearms the margins are narrow. Novritsh is trying to push consistent accuracy out to 100 yards. And the costs are up there. Much higher than a real rifle shooting 1 moa at 100 yds. A GBB pistol can easily shoot 50 yards with hop up. So like a foot ball game each yard has its price.

Of course the reason is that we are trying to push a feather through the air at safe speeds. Even air powered pellet rifles have much better performance and accuracy for the price........but you cant shoot your buddy with it.

White bbs are a double edged sword. You can follow your rounds going out. But so can the enemy back to your position. Im not a fan of them in most cases. Besides......for the sake of realism people should running sights on their guns.

Tactics are never replaced by a tightbore barrel or a high speed gear set. But you have to have a dedicated group willing to practice alot. Just remember the four F’s..... Find-Fix-Flank-Finish.

link0 likes this.
  11. Shadowed Snake

Shadowed Snake New Member

Alpharetta
  12. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    Not exactly... If he was, the SSG24 would be built better. As it is, it's waaaayy overpriced for what it is.

They're harder to track when they're coming towards you, but yeah. This is why I like multi-colored BBs... Keeps 'em guessing lol.

No, but they're definitely enhanced by them.

13. link0

link0 Active Member

San Jose
    I can't hate the guy for trying to make some money. We all need to pay rent after all. He is probably good for the sport overall by drawing in a lot of noobs on youtube. His videos do have pretty high production quality compared to most.

14. Honeybadgerz17

Honeybadgerz17 Active Member

Bellevue
    It's like the saying don't hate the player hate the game, the guys busting into the industry with pretty decent product can't really hate him for it

15. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    Yeah, but he could have at least made it with a brass barrel... honestly, at that price you'd expect steel.

16. excalibur3100

excalibur3100 Member

Pittsburg
    I don't really play due to financial restrictions, and transportation restrictions, but I remember with classics, that with an LRB 100 yards was possible, so the difference between one of those and a stock gun was huge. Now with RHOP you're talking close to 100 yards depending on BB weight and FPS, so comparatively speaking from 25 years ago till now we're getting close.

BOA_SP3CT3R and -Spitfire- like this.
  17. Bullpup GOD

Bullpup GOD Member

Decatur
    I prefer XTR ;)

But I agree, I used to focus on internals WAY too much. Hence why I'm selling my upgraded gun so I can get an externally nice gun. But I have used rental guns and done better than people with high end aegs and HPAs. I like the biking reference to dura ace, but I'm bigger in mountain biking.

link0 likes this.
  18. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    Current record for max range is around 500feet, as I recall.

19. excalibur3100

excalibur3100 Member

Pittsburg
    HUZZAH! I did not know that. Was that a thread on this forum?

20. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Well-Known Member

Bull Shoals