Disney buys LucasFilms.

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by deathmechanic, Oct 30, 2012.

1. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    So get ready for some singalongs with some space battles. Movies 7-9 are being planned out. I thought the Clone Wars anime was difficult to follow due to the uncannoness. The battles were cool but story was certainly hacked up. Now a child friendly series of movies?

How much will they change the story?
    Will they follow the books?

I'm astounded that Disney threw 4.5 billion into buying this, but saddened that LucasFilms is going down in the toilet.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. Munishin

Munishin Well-Known Member

Goodyear
    I heard about this. My initial response was Noooooooooo! But then I read some posts and people made a few good points. Their team up with Marvel to develop The Avengers turned out good so I'll just wait and see.

3. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    Just heard about it myself.

Anticipation level is 5.5, excitement level is 4 (out of 10)

Never got much into the post trilogy books, comics, or whatever, and the naration of the Clone Wars animation reminded me of watching the Justice League on Saturday mornings back in the 80's.

Until it's out, I'll continue to suffer through Episode 1 to get to Episodes 2-6 on my DVD player.

I'll reserve future judgement for when more details are leaked. er, I mean reveiled...

4. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

I heard about this today and processed mixed feelings.

I'm excited there is going to be more Star Wars, but Disney has always been known for Cartoons and Teen Comedy shows. But, if I'm not mistaken, Disney did bring Narnia to the screen; which was a quite successful series.

5. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    I'm excited to see what they do. I don't believe children stuff will be a large problem. Look at marvel and what they've done. Also Pirates before that, all PG-13 movies. Not to mention a few marvel movies that are being worked on that are supposed to be rated R.

As long as they stay cannon, and stick to the books, I can see no harm in this. Doing episodes 7-9 has been a childhood dream of mine.

6. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Active Member

China Grove
    This could be good, Luke skywalker as the new sith(spelling), Han and leia get married, have 2 young jedi kids. Yep, iv been waiting on this :D

7. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    The thing is though is that I'm worried is that it will be a cartoon series of movies done by LucasFilms Animation. Which are the guys who brought out the Clone Wars series. If they contract it out to somebody else wonderful, but its hard to see them do that when they have LucasFilm, LucasFilm Animation, and LucasArts.

George Lucas is also looking into making a live action TV show (Starwars:Underworld) so its difficult thing to see them making a non animated movie. It is possible like J.J. Abrams filming Fringe and StarTrek at the same time but not likely.

8. CaptDez

CaptDez New Member

If disney doesn't follow the books of chapter 7,8,9 then Star Wars would be changed forever for the worse

9. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    I'm just going to watch the original trilogy and pretend this event never happened.

10. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    I never have liked the post episode 6 stuff. The books are long, gigantic and boring (imo)

They should go back to the Sith Era. That would make me very, very happy.

11. noobpod

noobpod New Member

Chicago
    I also have mixed feelings. It could be good it could be bad. I just hope it won't be animated.

I just hope they make Darth Bane movies.

12. Fyzix

Garland
    Yesssss..... Darth Bane! :D

I own the entire trilogy, and read it at least 3-4 times a year. :p

13. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    I have full faith in Disney. They know that the SW fan base is huge and doing something to upset them in the beginning would just be killing the cash cow they purchased.

14. noobpod

noobpod New Member

Chicago
    I read it a while ago. I've been meaning to read it again.

15. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Detroit
    I fear for the Star Wars genre. Lucas already ruined it (in my opinion) with Episode one and three. There's just poor continuity, and it appears nothing was really planned to keep with the original Skywalker story line.

If they are going to do anything I hope to see an Old Republic movie. At least that way they can't screw up the Skywalker story line.

16. lazergrenade

lazergrenade New Member

I agree, and Old Republic has my favorite story line and sith characters so far.

17. noobpod

noobpod New Member

Chicago
    Oooh, a Death Troopers movie would also be cool.

18. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    Our country is drowning in debt and Disney can afford to make a multi-billion dollar deal? there is something wrong with this...
    and I swear if they screw up my one of my childhood memories Ill flip my lid and kill someone

19. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Correction, Disney just made a multi-billion dollar investment. They didn't buy an asset that they expect to depreciate over time the way you and I buy an airsoft gun or a car. They're betting 4 billion dollars that they can produce an market Star Wars products for a return of greater than 4 billion plus the cost of production (they'll get revenue from ILM and Skywalker Sound for sure, but it'll be at a far slower rate). If they can't, you can bet that this will be a huge blow the largest media corporations on the planet. This purchase matched their 2011 net income and was greater than their entire cash and cash equivalents at the end of FY2011. Make no mistake, this isn't pocket change for Disney. If their return was $0, it would be catastrophic. But it's a smart investment because it's Star Wars. It's a better blue chip than Coke and McDonalds.

I'm excited for this. Lucas already deuced on my childhood with the prequels and it's can't possibly get worse than Episode II. Disney did a fantastic job with Marvel, making some of the best action/adventure movies of the last decade. They've seen the fan scorn at a sub-par Star Wars production as it was aimed at Lucas and they're going to do their best to avoid that. It's the difference between making hundreds of millions and making billions. They know that if they do Star Wars right, they can eat their competitions' lunch for the next century.

20. Fyzix

Garland
    Oh my god, yes! That would be amazing!