DIY remote propane/high-cap a GBBR magazine

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by adas1223, Jun 17, 2018.

1. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    Since been Sold. I LOVED this thing!

photo_2019-10-04_19-05-25.jpg
    dg9fpb8.jpg
    LuSDtL6.jpg
    NzLp0fj.jpg
    ZPVZpQ0.jpg

Decided to document a build which i had in my mind for some time now. Tapping a magazine to a generic 1/8 nipple to a QD fitting onto a propane bottle. Then modifying a blue propane bottle to be more compact than a coleman 1lb bottle.

but first some pics of the gun using this build:

IMG_20171031_214634.jpg

IMG_20171031_214806.jpg
    The next step would be canibalizing a flash magazine lower to feed a 3d printed reservoir. the shape would be that of a Surefire 60rd fat mag.

compare to TAPP airsofts creation (too long, bulky):

[​IMG]

fatmag for reference:

[​IMG]

What i created so far (tapped a prowin V2)

IMG_20180617_201737.jpg

Whats already available, which i dont like bc you can only use greengas with oil (and valve specific fittings):

[​IMG]

So far on the test run there is little to no cool down effect! obviously lost the bolt lock function too. stay tuned

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    kazuchan likes this.
  2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    How does this work with a high Vapor Point Gas? And by no cool down you just mean one mags of shots right?

I would be curious to see what happens when you tip the tank to be level with the ground (simulate a prone firing position) and see if liquid gets in the line and then if the former gas chamber in the mag can mitigate the liquid and not blow liquid gas out of this setup.

adas1223 likes this.

3. adas1223

stratford
    I'll do some chrono shots before and after. also with video of the ROF on a full propane tank, and if it changes after 100 rounds. I can also do an inverted bottle above the magazine fire test. Im pretty sure the temperature differences will play a role in the inverted test.

Same principle when the propane bottle is colder than the magazine itself, the flow of propane will stop and stay in the colder container, regardless of position.

we'll find out soon enough!

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Temperature will play a role, but so will volume. If you have a part of the system that is constant releasing gas so the pressure drops...the gas will migrate there regardless of it being cold or not. As to the speed on how it gets there...the temp will have a slight affect on that depend on the state of the material gas/liquid/solid.

adas1223 likes this.
  5. adas1223

stratford
    build supply list:

tap and die set

[​IMG]
    2 of these (one female): Solid Brass Barb Fitting 1/8" Hose ID 1/8" Male NPT Coupling Air Fuel Water

[​IMG]
    3M 4 x 6mm Black Flexible PU Recoil Hose Spring Tube For Compressor Air Tool
    [​IMG]

Disposable propane/MAPP tank Torch Adapter/Regulator 1/4" MPT NPT output BRASS

[​IMG]

teflon tape obviously

S&T 350rd Polymer Flash Magazine for M4 A&K Masada Series Airsoft AEG (Color: Black)

[​IMG]

I'll upload 3D file soon

kazuchan likes this.
  6. adas1223

stratford
    Disassembled and mocked up. Might be a bit long for my liking. We'll see!

IMG_20180721_192939.jpg

7. adas1223

stratford
    updates:

as the gun stands now. added surefire xc1 to top rail in front of irons. also I printed a recessed (purple) mock silencer which ends right at the inner barrel. for a super compact profile. Also, added a real steel magpul Grey grip. i think K2 slim grip. then a 3d printed and chopped magpul AFG for giggles.

IMG_20181116_123938.jpg

as for the HIcapacity conversion of the prowin magazine, slowly but surely. I have so far scanned a model of the magazine and flash mag section. next step is the scaling, then a bunch of quality time with a set of calipers lol

hicap gbbr.jpg

8. adas1223

stratford
    update: lost that previous magazine scan lol, but its quick to make a new one.

Made a 3d model and figured out this design is the quickest way to make a working prototype, with a balance of aesthetics from a surefire 60 round magazine. its a 2 piece print, which sandwiches the parts. i will just use tape to secure both parts and act also as a hopper cover. this will also make it a non-permanent attachment.

printed pics not up yet, but the fitment is spot on!! i'll test this soon enough and post some FPS results on a 100+ magazine dump B-)

thumbnail_IMG_20181101_155726.jpg
    11112.jpg
    333333.jpg

EDIT: heres the print!

it has now been fully welded around the perimeter and the lower section stabilized with hot glue. the clamshell is also taped together and now just awaiting test firing with remote propane XD

IMG_20190110_153716.jpg IMG_20190110_153854.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    kazuchan and fred_ditto like this.
  9. adas1223

stratford
    UPDATE: the hi-cap magazine is a bust. The feeding from the hi-cap gets halfway through the prowin magazine double stack tube and gets jammed. like JAMMED. midway. could do some filing, etc etc but my time is not worth it lol.

fun project while it lasted and the 3d printing aspect of it went flawless. learned a bunch from this journey!

fred_ditto and Peeque like this.
  10. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That’s my take on using propane tank as pressure source. I’ve got a Wolverine reaper project on the back burner that’s going to use this’ish thing. I need to remake it, I damaged the propane side while trying to remove the hpa air reg. I made those threads too tight :(

Automobilie and fred_ditto like this.
  11. Automobilie

Automobilie Active Member

I don't know if that hose is gucci for propane. Some rubbers might be attacked by it.

Might have better luck with a smaller highcap, like out of an MP5 or MP7 even. You could also get some copper tubing and use that instead of a double stack system.

12. adas1223

stratford
    If anything, I was thinking a sleeve/tube inside the mag to single stack it. But there is no allowance. Hence why the jamming. I might return to this project but who knows

Good thing I didn't mutilate the pro win mag. I have since converted it back to regular.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  13. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    Maybe find a cheaper jg or ka mag. The prowins I think have a wider channel to allow a more aggressive double stack to get 50 rounds in. The jg is like 33 rounds I think.

adas1223 likes this.
  14. adas1223

stratford
    thats true, quite aggresive. i mean, if anyone wants to donate to me a leaky 30 round wa gas mag SURE! XD