DMR build gun

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by TheLost, Nov 16, 2012.

1. TheLost

TheLost Conductor of the Poop Train Supporting Member

Westerville
    Price Range: 250-350 USD (EDIT: with exception of VFC SSR)

Type: AEG

Model: Mainly these two, (G&P M14 Soc. 16 DMR body) http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_672_829&products_id=40081 , or (ICS L85A2) http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=30244
    EDIT: Adding (VFC mk17 SSR) http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_672_755&products_id=36059Open to any suggestions as well

Role: DMR base gun.

I just want a good base gun for a DMR. Mainly interested in these two, but I'm torn, and always want to know if there's any other ideas for Bases (not any m16's, m4's, m4(16)(17)(18), etc)

Either of these good? Pros? Cons? Upgradability? Reliability? Range? Etc.
    I used to run a KM16 SR12 but I broke it when I took a risk during a game. Reason why I don't want another.
    (I was the sole survivor on my team and he other team had slowly closed in on me. I took off running along a ridge to get to higher, more defendable ground, but saw people ahead and tried to quick cut and slide down the hill. Real intense run for your life stuff lol. I took out a guy on the way down [no i didnt slide into him, while I was sliding I took a quick shot at a guy about 90 feet away and got him in the leg, lucky hit hah] but... then I tumbled and so did the KWA. Needless to say I called surrender and the gun was done for, but some parts were salvageable for the cqr.)
    So I've already run M16's and m4's before, looking for something new.
    Thanks guys! :D

EDIT: Please include Make and Price in your suggestions, as well as some of the things that may be needed to get the gun started.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

JG AUG A3, A&K SR-25, Maybe an M14 EBR(I dont know brands), or a Scar-L/H if you can find one, you could do a P90 if you wanted. A DMR is not dependent on the base gun, but the quality and performance of the internals.

3. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    When building a DMR,really and truly most things internally are getting chucked out so I'd personally be looking for a gun with strong gears and good compression components for a base. That leaves it pretty wide open for choice, so it's pretty much your personal preference on externals and platform.

For my taste, it'd be either a FN Scar H SSR or a H&K 417 simply because I really like the look of them, and VFC in particular build sexy externals for both.

Out of the 2 in your post, I'd go for the L85. People say alot of good things about the ICS one too, even to go as far as to say it's the best L85 in airsoft. Can't say that from experience, but heard it frommany.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  4. TheLost

Westerville
    I'm just curious because I don't know what kind of parts will work with the weird ICS L85 gearbox, but I do know what works with a V.7.
    I would go for the SCAR SSR but they all seem to be out of my price range :/
    And looks wise I definitely want something that looks like a DMR. (part of the milsim we do, someone with an MP5 and an extended barrel will not be considered a DMR because an MP5 is not used in life as a DMR)

5. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

Whether it is considered a DMR or not it can be a DMR in airsoft. I would prefer having a SMG DMR so people think I cant hit them from far and think I pose no threat

6. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Doesn't Alex have three DMR P90s or something? Anyways, I'd recommend the A&K SR25 or the Classic Army one if you can afford it. Elongated V2.5 gearbox plus the looks you want. The L85 also seems like a good choice, it also uses an elongated cylinder assembly, which is better for longer barrels and heavier ammo.

7. TheLost

Westerville
    Thanks rich! so the l85 gearbox is essentially a strangely shaped V2.5? But like I said Blue, I WANT something that looks like a dmr.

And that's the point fo our "DMR" rule. It's done like that to increase realism because how often have you seen a guy take someone out at 400+ yards with a P90? my point exactly. We do this for realism that's all, and I would like to stay with that.

8. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    I get it if you are going for the looks. But take an airsoft MP5, add a 500mm Orga, ultra high quality internals, or a FE, ER Hop it, use .43's and this MP5 will out DMR your DMR simply for the reason that in airsoft, BB sizes are controlled and heavier weights can be utilized by any gun.

9. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    Not really, it uses an elongated piston though. I only know that from researching some stuff about SR25s, the piston the elongated V2.5 uses is compatible with the L85 piston. Same with the gearset. In fact, the SHS parts I plan on using in my own CA25 are labelled as the R85 piston and gearset. However, I think the L85 has a split gearbox...

10. TheLost

Westerville
    I know you "can" do that to an mp5, but that's not the point. the events I go to split guns into groups as they would be in real life. for realism. MP5's, cannot be used as a DMR and have a FPS limit of 400 and other limits. Assault rifles have certain rules, LMGs have other rules, Snipers have a set, and so do DMR's. If you are to be any of the roles in an event, your gun must fit theyre list, and if it's not in a certain list, they will assign it to one. That's why I need a true DMR rifle to be a DMR. Must be an M16, SCAR SSR, L85, M14, FAMAS, AUG, HK417(18), SR25, SVD, G3, PSG-1 (also sniper class), FAL (long barrel), or the longest version of the Sig 55x series. These must be limited to 450 fps w/ .20g and can only be Semi-Auto (hard welded, or modified in some way to be ONLY semi.)
    That's why SMG's, and Short assault rifles are out.

And about the M14, I heard the internals on that thing are absolutely beautiful, and very few upgrades (actual bought parts, not personal mods such as custom r-hop, shimming, etc) are needed to really reach out and touch someone. What's the situation on the L85? Star_Folder, if you're out there! What do I do? lol

11. TheLost

Westerville
    I do love MP5's though, I almost bought one instead of the CQR I bought. Glad I got the CQR though. LOVE it.

12. thuperman15

thuperman15 New Member

400+ yards is unheard of sir

13. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    I still think you should just pick a platform you like, and just look for one with strong gears, metal spring guide and known for good compression. That way all you need to change out is the spring and motor in terms of the drivetrain and the compression will be sorted for the r-hopped TBB you'll put on. Any other mods would be for durability and tuning i.e sorbo pad cylinder head. Boom, sorted.

14. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    I think he was exaggerating

@KWA: Yeah, for realism I understand. But I don't like the rules though. It should be classified on the capabilities of the guns. Not the looks. And NO sock gun will even come close to a completely upgraded one. I don't care how good those internals are, but it doesn't happen. Unless you buy an extremely expensive stock gun which is pretty much already upgraded. But still custom work will beat that out.

15. dylan484

dylan484 New Member

Tifton
    I think you need to get off the forum and finish your gun! I wanna see how it turns out!

16. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    You sir, are thinking of the G&G L85. The ICS L85 is basically a v6 gearbox with a special spring guide. The G&G makes the better DMR base, not the ICS.

Something else to note, the R85 gearset has mechanical precocking. If you don't have a way to release the spring tension, then you will need to make one, or disassemble your gearbox after every game. It would be better to find an SR-25 gearset and not use an R85 gearset.

OP: The G&G L85 makes the better DMR base than the ICS L85. The G&G has the v2.5 piston and mechanical precocking. The ICS is only a "regular" AEG, and has no benefits, besides the removeable spring guide, for a DMR.

However, if you are going for a milsim aspect, I don't think an L85 is what you are going to want for a gun. They are assault rifles, not DMRs. Something like an SR-25 would be more suited to more realistic milsim.

17. TheLost

Westerville
    that was a typo lol I meant feet

18. TheLost

Westerville
    G&P confirmed.

Thanks Star! Probably just going to upgrade the G&P (m14) because I can't find the G&G (L85) in stock anywhere, and I you're right on that it's not really a DMR, but for some reason they call it one? (i guess that's only here) So I don't think I'm going to go that route, I was just really attracted to the Bullpup configuration since I used to have an AUG and that thing performed well for awhile, until a friend borrowed it and accidently broke it. Yes he paid for it haha and then he repaired it to use it. But anyways, back on topic, what would some good upgrades for the G&P be?

I've been looking for a good hi-torque motor, and can't tell what the best idea would be. Wondering of these, which to choose?
    -G&P Devil Jet Hi-torque M170
    -G&G strong torque up motor
    -ICS turbo 3000 motor
    -Matrix hi-performance Magnum motor
    -Systema Super-torque motor

Looking for highest torque so I can pull either an M130-m140 due to FPS limits at a blistering trigger response.

Also, anyone thinks I'll need new gears? I'm not super familiar with G&P internals so I'm not totally sure if I need new ones.

And what would the best spring in my M130-m140 range be? Guarder? Systema? Prommy? etc? for this gun.

I'm for sure shimming my Hop and I'm going to be using a Reaps Bucking with a couple other Hop mods as well as stabilizing the barrel etc.

EDIT: the reason I ask is because I've only built hi-speed, lo-power AEG smaller guns, and done very few mods in the way of Hi-power AEG. Most of which were hop&barrel modifications. So i'm not totally sure of the tolerances/pros/cons/etc in these higher power builds.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  19. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    None of those motors. Get a Lonex orange motor. One of the best motors out there. Guarder and modify springs are great. Don't use a reaps bucking. Just flat hop a Lonex, Systema, or Guarder hard bucking. You'll want to get new gears most likely. Not sure on brand, though. I haven't looked around for v7 gears in a long time. Get a new piston and piston head. Radius the cylinder window. Go check out some other DMR build threads for full lists of mods.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  20. TheLost

Westerville
    Thanks Archer, very much appreciated! If this all goes as planned, this is going to be one bada** gun. thanks for all the info guys. Any extra input is definitely welcomed. But I think I've got a decent start here.