DMR Build with ICS gearbox

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by theonlyBuster, Aug 2, 2012.

1. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    I'm considering doing a DMR build with a version 2 gearbox.
    I'm planning on using the ICS split gearbox so I can more easily swap out springs to vary the velocity when needed with little hassle.
    That is to say one upper with a M150 spring and another with a M130 spring, possibly a M140 upper gearbox also.

My question, for all you techs and gurus out there, is how well do you see this idea working and do you think the ICS gearbox can handle the strain of a M!50 spring?

I plan on making the lower a nice strong gear ratio to pull any "normal" airsoft spring, but I'm more concerned about the gearbox cracking under the stress.

As usual, any input would be very much appreciated.

2. GreenListerine

GreenListerine New Member

Be sure to use sorbo and radius the cylinder window. Maybe a POM cylinder head also. It should be fine.

3. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Buddy of mine has done quite a build out of a ICS. As far as I can tell there is nothing to worry about when compared to any other v2. I would make sure to radius the gearbox. Also, for an m150 you could look into the shock absorber thing. Its suppose to help a lot in v2s... I can't remember the correct name. >.>

4. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX Member

San Angelo
    You're thinking of the Shock Transfer System. I don't think it will work with ICS due to the hopup being shaped diffferently.

But yeah, ICS can take the abuse just as well as any other potmetal gearbox. I am running 40 RPS with M120 and M140 Upper Gearboxes in mine.

5. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Sparky has confirmed that any hop up can be modded to fit in an ICS.

6. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    Out of curiosity, which hop-up works the best but needs the smallest to no amount of modification?

7. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    My friend hasn't had a problem with the stock one. Just tune it like you would any other.

8. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County
    The ICS one. The only down side to the ICS hop up is its plastic construction.

All other metal hop up units require the same modifications to the body of the unit.

I'll try to find the Photoshopped picture showing the required mods...

9. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    Sniped by Sparky

Well I was originally planning on putting the split gearbox in my VFC, but Sparky knocked that idea down a while ago. So I was planning on buying a ICS body, tossing the gearbox in there and using my old Madbull hop-up. But I'm relatively open to other hop-up brands seeing as I'm basically building a gun from scratch.

Alright awesome. I'll wait for those as well as do some research myself.

10. Adman234

Adman234 Active Member

Wildwood
    You shouldn't need an STS if, as green said, you radius the cylinder window, install rubber buffered sorbo, and use a POM piston head.