Featured DMR/Sniper + 2ndary build (gear/teching questions)

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Falco, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:41 PM.

1. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    (feel free to skip the intro and down to the bolt action section, your not missing much) I guess I'll put this here. As many of you know I have temporarily gotten out of airsoft. Multiple injuries/surgeries have sidelined me for a while, but I hope to be back in a couple months (fingers crossed).

In my few years of airsofting I've "wasted" a lot of money on stuff I never even used. I've probably had 15 AEGs and I've only actually used half of them at an actual field. And half of those only got used once. I want to make weapon system that suits my style and that isn't simply an impulse buy because something looked cool XD.

My style of play is typically based on stealth. I like sneaking around whether its hiding in a bush for an hour, or crawling a half mile through long grass and thorns to flank the enemy. If I choose, I can definitely become a true sniper, rather than "a guy with a sniper rifle".

MED at my field is 100yards for anything over 400fps, and limit is 550fps I believe. I can definitely push that 550 and utilize heavy weight bbs. If I go bolt action, I would definitely want to have a backup AEG both for a secondary weapon, and a primary weapon when called for (some rounds at my field would not be as suitable for a sniper). So we'll get to the backup gun in a bit. First lets talk primary weapon.

Bolt action

JG Bar 10 makes the most sense here. I've had one before, and I wouldn't mind getting another one to upgrade. A year ago I would have gone all PDI parts behind the hop up, but the new Wolverine bolt is tempting. For $500 I can have Bar 10 with fully installed Bolt and Co2 system contained within the gun. Add anther $100+ for hop up/barrel.

I've never seen or used a Bolt in person, and I don't know the pros and cons of the Co2 system. Any advice there would be appreciated. Obviously price is more expensive than standard upgrade parts, but the pros are an extremely reliable, and adaptable system, that doesn't have a 550fps spring behind the bolt making follow up shots easy (I have trouble just pulling the bolt back once on a Bar 10 at 550fps~ lol).

After deciding between spring powered, and HPA/CO2, the next question is a backup AEG. This is a tricky one. My preferred gun would be a TM MP7 AEP, but the FPS is a problem. I need something with a little more authority. My ideas so far. Weight isn't a concern, but size and how easily it can be slung/carried are important. Its important it have some sort of stock, whether fixed, collapsible, or folding. This is another one I'd really appreciate help. What guns would be easily carried around the field all day? Any methods?

Three guns I've seen are
    TM aug high cycle
    VFC MP5a5 (smallest)
    EF UMP (because its fun to say UMP)

Let me know what you guys think. Any information regarding sniping whether gear or gun related. If I have time I will follow up with a DMR post if I choose a semi auto gun.

ma_airsoft likes this.
  2. Hangtight

Hangtight Active Member

If you want to go CO2 on a BASR then also consider the Mancraft SDiK. I've got one in an L96, with the regulator and the 12g CO2 bulb adaptor contained in the stock. At 500fps (0.2g) it gets 120+shots out of one bulb, ultra consistent, and very accurate with an R hopped Prometheus EG 450mm barrel and AA hop up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    Thanks! I forgot about Mancraft, but I'll have to look into them. IIRC they can be a little cheaper than the Bolt. L96 is preferred over VSR10 so that would be cool.

Edit, went to their website, and is it really only <$300 shipped with regulator and Co2 adapter? Price seems very good.

Also, for backup I really like the looks of a TM MP5a5 (retractable stock).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 2:53 PM
  4. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Active Member

The Bolt is pretty awesome. I've seen one in person, it's SO quiet and easy to pull the bolt. It will be consistent as well, I'm not sure how consistent spring BASR's are though. Also I know nothing about the SDiK that @Hangtight has, but it sounds nice too. The VFC mp5's have a proprietary gearbox shell, sector gear, mechanical burst(which is kind of cool) and a mix of v2 & v3 internals. I had one, they're pretty good externally but I'd change quite a few things internally.

sneakysniper4321 and ma_airsoft like this.
  5. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    Mancraft definitely seems cheaper from what I can tell. About $300 or less shipped. I don't know a lot about the system, so would it be worth it over the bolt? Its purely mechanical (no battery) which is a plus, but ordering from Poland I believe makes me a little nervous. If there's a problem it would be much easier to deal with for the Bolt.

So I'm leaning towards bolt. Evike has a preorder for a JG Bar 10 with Bolt co2 installed for $500 which is a pretty good deal IMO. I'll research the mancraft more before a final decision.

Secondary gun. I've looked around, and I think I will either go with a TM MP5a5 (great prices from Echigoya), or possibly a custom M4 (requires more research).

The big question is how do I carry my secondary weapon, and switch quickly between the two? I figure that when I'm on the move it would make sense to sling the sniper rifle, and carry the AEG. But then what do I do with something like an MP5 when I start sniping? It would be awkward having two guns with slings and have to remove the sling to use the weapon.

sneakysniper4321 and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  6. Hangtight

Hangtight Active Member

The guys at Mancraft are great. Very helpful and good communication. They also stand right behind their product with continuous improvements.
    The mechanical system is exquisitely simple, and very tunable.
    I went for a no name adapter hard lined into a US made Palmer regulator so I could get the custom fit.
    The bolt pull is little finger light, and once you've got the gas volume tuned and the flow through the air nozzle right the gun is virtually silent.
    If you look carefully at my installation you can see the small hole in the bottom of the pistol grip. You can simply insert an Allan key and tweak the regulator pressure to adjust the fps for different fields.

BOA_SP3CT3R and Falco like this.
  7. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    Awesome info! I'm definitely very interested in the Mancraft then and I'll look into it more this evening. I would probably look at buying everything from their website to guarantee proper fitment. IIRC everything except the line cost less than $300 shipped. L96 is cool as well ;).

Just need to figure out how to properly carry two guns. I'm probably going to check over in the 1Q1A gear thread.

BTW, what L96 are you running? IIRC Well and UTG are the two most common, but its been a little while since I've researched sniper rifles.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  8. Hangtight

Hangtight Active Member

It started as a Well MB 01. The stock has had the ballast stripped out , and I made a light block to replace the heavy bipod mount. Barrel is a 450mm Prometheus EG, R hopped with an AA hop up. There's a 2.5mm flow restriction in the air nozzle that stops the BB being accelerated too violently over the hop which causes inconsistency, but that's only because I fitted a volume reducer in the cylinder. I get twice as many shots, but the initial pressure is much higher. Black steel cylinder for the looks, and the stock trigger box as it's barely holding any weight with the Mancraft. With a little work on the sears it has a nice crisp break. I did some work on the bolt handle to get a nice action.
    Squeezed the regulator and co2 adapter into the stock. You can't adjust the cheek piece any more, but that's no loss.
    Then I nearly drove myself mad painting it Flecktarn!

[​IMG]

Falco and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  9. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    Nice man! Sound very similar to what I'd do. I'll update once I've done more research and decided for sure on primary and backup weapons. I definitely like the BASR route with a good secondary gun.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  10. Falco

Falco Well-Known Member

Atlanta
    Alright y'all. Decisions have been made... After lengthy deliberations, I've decided to go a different direction than I originally planned, and I'm looking at a JG Bar 10 G-spec and a TM MP7 backup :p.

I'm also going to hold off on HPA system for the moment, and upgrade the setup using AA/PDI. It will be more cost affective for me now, and will make a great platform if I want to switch to HPA in the future.

(If I go HPA/Co2 later I'm sold on the mancraft, but would go with the Wraith Co2 conversion and Storm on tank regulator. The Wraith conversion seems to be a much better option as it has an expansion chamber which really helps with the consistency of Co2.)

For now the setup would be JG Bar 10 (g-spec) with AA cylinder kit (Teflon), AA zero trigger, AA spring guide, AA hop up, PDI/Laylax barrel (spring rated to 500+fps. There will be a few mods such as a port cover to protect the Teflon coated cylinder and R-hop (need to look into bucking options).

I should be able to keep all that under $600, and as stated can easily convert to HPA later with a nice trigger, cylinder and hopup/barrel assembly already installed.

Backup gun will be a TM MP7. I'll run both weapons with a 2-point sling (will look into something like a 2 and 1 point magpul sling for the AEP) on both weapons. I have some ideas for running the sling on the Bar 10 so that I can secure it to the weapon when I'm in sniper mode so I don't have the sling getting in my way.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  11. LightIsRight

LightIsRight Member

Cannon Falls
    Wow, that's a nice paintjob! As a Flecktarn user myself, I love that!

Falco likes this.
  12. sneakysniper4321

sneakysniper4321 New Member

northlake
    This looks great, who did the r hop? also, have you ever ranged it?

13. sneakysniper4321

sneakysniper4321 New Member

northlake
    I also have a vfc mp5a5. What would you change inside? i just got it and haven't shot it enough to really get an idea of how it performs.

14. Hangtight

Hangtight Active Member

I do my own R hops. You can buy a metre of EPDM auto hose for a few bucks and that'll last ages.
    With 0.43 Geoffs (350fps,equivalent to 500\0.2g) I can consistently hit a head sized target at 80m, and with a bit of over hop it reaches out to over 90m.
    The new Mancraft reg has an expansion stage, as does the Palmer reg I used supplimented by the piece of copper hard line in the pic. I can fire 120 shots in quick succession in freezing temps with no variation in fps, although you can feel the reg getting cold through the walls of the stock!

BOA_SP3CT3R and Falco like this.
  15. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Active Member

Kept meaning to reply to this, but kept forgetting.
    1. The motor. The stock VFC motor is super weak. No torque, no speed. I'm not too knowledgeable about motors, but maybe a ZCI or SHS high torque would be good.
    2. The piston is also super weak. The piston and tappet plate are polycarbonate, and the tappet was broken when I got mine.
    3. Probably the bucking. Mine gave terrible accuracy, might have just been a lemon though. If I still had it I'd probably flat hop it.
    Sector gear is proprietary. If you change it you lose the 3rnd burst. I'd probably put a mosfet in and use a lipo. I'd definitely radius, correct AOE, shim and all that stuff. The shell is proprietary as well, so I'd make it a very low stress build because I don't know if you can buy a replacement. Hope that helped.