Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year into my airsoft career, I bought my first airsoft AK, a CYMA CM.050 AIMS. Since then, I've owned three more airsoft AKs: a Tokyo Marui AKS-47 (or AK-47S according to the packaging), an E&L AKM (which I modded into an East German MPi-KM-72), and just recently, I got an E&L AKS-74U. All of these have performed all right so far. Granted, none of them will ever replace my G&P M16A1, but having an AK is an interesting experience. I will say, though, whenever I bring one of my AKs to the field, I feel like the only player wielding one most of the time. Do any other airsoft AK owners here feel like that?

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
Maybe on your field...but there are fields where the common AEG is the AK and the AR people are the odd ducks...

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Can only speak locally - m4 variants account for ~80% of the guns I see, followed by maybe 15% hpa hi-capas and the remaining 5% includes shotguns, boltys, AKs, SMGs, etc.

AK is generally a less versatile platform in terms of being able to run vertical grips, optics, rails, stocks, flashlights, etc. Which is a major bummer because the v3 gearbox is fantastic ime.

Mostly play CQB where a stubby m4 is king, but also own 3-4 AKs including this converted PP19 :)
Plant Trigger Aircraft Air gun Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah this happens all the time. This is usually the reaction:

Player: “Oh wow, this guy’s got an AK! I’ve always wanted to try one can I check yours out?”

Me: “Sure, if I can check out your m4.”

P: “Holy cow, this thing is heavy! I don’t know how you can run this all day!”

Me: “Yeah, it’s a good workout… your m4 feels like it’s made of paper it’s so light!”

It happens frequently enough (usually at least once per outing) that it makes me wonder if the weight is a deciding factor for people. I just embrace it, it makes me stand out and usually leads to meeting more people on the field.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 280820
We’re out there…….

and yes, I hpa’d this thing….
What brand is that one?

Yeah this happens all the time. This is usually the reaction:

Player: “Oh wow, this guy’s got an AK! I’ve always wanted to try one can I check yours out?”

Me: “Sure, if I can check out your m4.”

P: “Holy cow, this thing is heavy! I don’t know how you can run this all day!”

Me: “Yeah, it’s a good workout… your m4 feels like it’s made of paper it’s so light!”

It happens frequently enough (usually at least once per outing) that it makes me wonder if the weight is a deciding factor for people. I just embrace it, it makes me stand out and usually leads to meeting more people on the field.
Interesting you should mention that, because of all the AKs I've slung around, none of them have given me that much trouble. Then again, I am 5'10 1/2", and I do a weekly weight training regimen, easily managing 35 reps on a lat pulldown machine set at 140 pounds, for example.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah yes, a physically fit airsofter, we need more of your kind in the "sport."
I'm not sure if you meant that sincerely or sarcastically, but I will say this: lifting things I'm good at. Running, however, is a different story. I can run fast, but only for so long.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Interesting you should mention that, because of all the AKs I've slung around, none of them have given me that much trouble. Then again, I am 5'10 1/2", and I do a weekly weight training regimen, easily managing 35 reps on a lat pulldown machine set at 140 pounds, for example.
At 6’4 215 I quite obviously agree, heck I’ve even dual wielded AK’s as a joke before. But I’d say it’s fair to say the average airsofter may not be of the same stature/strength, and just prefer the maneuverability of the lighter m4 platform

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
Average Airsofter is Rounder and a bit slower that you fit guys...

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
Sky Tire Wheel Automotive tire Cloud

I am on the "line" and I look back...and this is what I see...my team mates assessing the situation...note hands on their mics...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's where you let superior strategy and experience take over and play smarter.
Yeah, like I said, I'm not good at running for long periods of time, so I prefer to get to a good spot as quickly as possible and try to hold the enemy at bay with my marksmanship skills.

E&L AKMS with a P* Kythera stuck in it…
I have an E&L AKM myself, which I put East German plastic furniture on to make it look like an MPi-KM-72.

Reactions: Graybeard

·
Registered
6 Posts
I run a Tavor, a stubby "Krink" AK and an MGL grenade launcher. All three guns get attention because they aren't an M4 but there are plenty of other AKs at my field. The reason the AK (Dytac SLR) gets attention is because of it's weight. For the size of the thing it's heavy. It weighs far more than most full size m4s I've held. It also has the most satisfying "thwack" noise when it fires. I like it so much I'm always eyeing the same Dytac SLR brand in a full size AK model.

The MGL gets a lot of laughs because I use a mag dump pouch for a barrel bag.

The Tavor gets a lot of "WTF is that?"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts