Do i carry too much gear?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Casanova, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Casanova

Casanova New Member

Buffalo
    Hey guys, i just readjusted all my gear again as i usually do every month or so, just to make sure it all fits and works as it should etc. and i started wondering if perhaps i carry too much on me when i play airsoft. On a typical day (from 10-11AM to about 10 PM) i carry a woodland molle FLC with pouches and 16 M4 mags, 2 Smoke grenades,a radio, 2 1 qt canteens, an M65 field jacket (in the event it rains), a camelbak ambush with med-kit (nobody i play with really carries one so i feel obligated to be prepared) and my iron sights for my M4, a PASGT helmet with ACH nape pad and pad set.

My Primary is an APS M4A1 with a surefire M500 and holographic sight.

It's not that the gear feels heavy/restrictive to me, it just seems as if i carry far more into my battles/scenarios than anyone else around me, thanks in advance for the input guys.

2. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    Not really. If you use all of it, you may as well keep it. You are
    The one who decides what you are willing to carry.

3. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    Can we see some pictures? And what type of mags are you carrying? 16 30rders seems a little much, but anything more than that is way over any game will require. And instead of new gear anyway, I suggest upgrades or a new gun, because APS isn't or wasn't that great.

4. Casanova

Casanova New Member

Buffalo
    i carry 120 rd Midcaps, and to be completely honest i have never had a problem with my APS, I've had it for nearly a year and a half so far and other than preventative maintenance I've done nothing to my gun and it clocks around 380-387 FPS. I've been reading reviews on it recently and i guess people have either loved them or hated them. which isn't really a surprise to me. They're good quality if you only factor in the price but they don't stand up to top level AEG's, although the games i play aren't highly competitive or that large so i haven't really much experience with better guns than mine. I will try to get pictures in the next day or two but I've been rather busy so finding time to get geared up again may be a challenge

5. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    Its always up to you. If your APS works well, then keep using it. However, for your magazines, you honestly don't need more than 8, depending on the game duration.

6. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    If he has the extra mags, and pouches for them, why not carry them?

7. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    The bigger problem is that you're using an FLC as a stand alone load bearing vest. It should be worn over a PC of some variety, often an OTV. without it, the FLC does a piss poor job of distributing weight and keeping your load tight.

8. Casanova

Casanova New Member

Buffalo
    I see, if i were to get let's say a woodland IBA, would i be better off ditching the FLC all together and attaching the pouches right to it, or does the thickness of the Kevlar/ceramic plates just help to distribute things better?

I've been finding lately that the gear I've been running is either effective and bulky, or it doesn't seem like i have enough stuff. I know it seems like a paradox in and of itself that something bulky is effective, but because the areas i play in are heavily wooded and swamp land and everything, i just feel weird if i don't have everything i need on my gear. Like say i need extra water or mags, i would have to leave the hot zones to get it if i left it in a bag in the safe zone, and that would just screw my team over.

at the same time, the majority of my stuff is team oriented gear, Like all the extra mags, smoke grenades for cover and whatnot, i play as a team leader so i feel like technically it's my responsibility to be able to help solve any problems we have gear wise as a team. Perhaps i over-think airsoft a bit :confused:

9. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    Since others seem to be answering your main question, I'm going to put to rest the qualms you have over being the TL.

Yes, you are responsible for keeping your team members squared away and at 100% operational capability. But you ARE over-thinking it a bit. This does not mean keeping any and all things on you at all times, you should bring the essentials. Get perhaps a MAP pack for the little extra things you need, but you should also distribute the team items. It is not your sole duty to carry team gear, it is a duty the entire team holds together. It is actually a possible detriment if one person has all of the gear, as if he/she goes down then your team just lost all of that gear.