Does anyone here wash their bbs?

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by Southpawlegend, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Southpawlegend

Southpawlegend New Member

Salisbury
    I saw this somewhere but I'm not sure where what advantages does washing our bbs give us and how do you do it?

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    The only time I ever washed bbs was when I accidentally dumped a bag on the ground. Otherwise, I see no real benefit. No bbs I've ever used have had much in the way of residue on them out of the bag, and I keep them zipped up in my gear bag if I'm loading, so not much really gets in there.

3. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    I read somewhere that they have factory grease still on them and it funks up your gun faster

4. Knief

Ann Arbor
    I've read a lot of things too, many aren't true.

5. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    I mean it seems legit ill commit a few kings arms .36 to the cause and see what's the difference

6. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    if your bbs come with a residue on them, change your brand because they are supposed to be polished and ready to go OOB.

7. Star_folder

Star_folder Active Member

Lexington
    Sometimes, especially with super heavy weights, you don't have a choice of good bbs, so you buy what you get. Sometimes they still have crap on them that needs to be removed. Personally, instead of checking anything like that, I wash them all. I find it easier to wash them, than to inspect them. Washing them consistently has the possibility to increase the consistency of the rounds. And, with my imperfect .4s, I'll take whatever help I can to make them shoot better.

The way I see it, washing non bio bbs won't hurt them, and will possibly increase their performance. Because there is no negative possibility, I wash them.

8. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    Everything required to do this

Including a lunch to occupy your time

Attached Files:

9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    You really don't need to make a new post for every picture. Just write your step-by-step in one post.

10. Vandal

Vandal New Member

Atlanta
    Washing BB's

The only time you should ever wash your BB's is if of course if you spill them. If they are spilt bios, throw them away. Wet bios can really screw up your gun.

11. hasmeen

hasmeen New Member

Bakersfield
    You should never reuse bbs. You can cause your gun to jam, damage the inner barrel, or break the gears or even lock up the gear box if the jam is serious.. Plus the bbs may have scuffs, scratches, and chips making them not as accurate. Just buy some bio bbs and reload. They are better for the environment and not to much more expensive.

12. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    no one is talking about reusing bbs, washing them before first use or picking them up after the bag/bottle spills... your right though... never reuse bbs...

13. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Southpaw, for ignoring my request that you stop multi-posting your guide, I'm deleting everything but the first post. If you wish to rewrite it, please do so in an edit in that post.

14. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    Fine

For others interested just wash them in soapy water.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  15. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    As said, that's completely irrelevant.

BBs are washed because they help the hopup do its' job better from what I can tell (that's why I've done it, but there hasn't been credible mention of it for any reason except dirt cleaning so take that with a grain of salt). I remember a while back, with .3s (G&G I believe) and 1.5-2 Joules of power (don't remember exact setup or output, sorry) in an R-Hopped PDI 6.05, I got at least 20 feet of effective accuracy out of washing the BBs.

So yes, I wash my BBs. But I do every little thing to make my guns better, so if you think it's worth your time, that's up to you.

16. ZakDaMack

ZakDaMack New Member

Stevenage
    I thought that bio bbs release harmful chemicals into the soil, which isn't good for wildlife and plants

17. matthewzguitarz

matthewzguitarz New Member

anza
    I wash them every time I get a new bag, just to be safe.

18. Hartman96

Hartman96 Active Member

Woodville
    Are you serious? o_O No.

19. Vandal

Vandal New Member

Atlanta
    *full on face-palm*
    They are called bio because they are biodegradable, and i think you probably know that...

20. Southpawlegend

Salisbury
    Doesn't mean it isn't bad for the environment.... Just cause they degrade doesn't mean they don't release chemicals he does have a point