Does Hop up = range?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Yousef, May 3, 2018.

1. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Sacramento
    I'm upgrading my G&G CM16 Raider L and will buy a Prometheus 6.03 tight bore barrel. I've heard that hop ups made by G&G are pretty good, and I was wondering if I changed my hop up to a Prometheus hop up unit specifically made for G&G guns, would it improve range? I might also change the bucking to a Prometheus soft bucking. Also, if someone could check out all these parts and tell me whether they would work well together, I would gladly appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Barrel:
    https://www.evike.com/products/24385/
    Hop Up:
    https://www.evike.com/products/82409/
    Bucking:
    https://www.evike.com/products/31081/#pagetabs

Ggrstd likes this.
  2. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    The bucking is way more important than your hop up unit or your barrel, and also way cheaper. I'd start there. TruHop or Maple Leaf bucking.

Yousef likes this.

3. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    The g&g green bucking is excellent. If it’s not worn out or damaged, don’t change it.

The nylon grey with green wheels is a good unit as well. You won’t gain much by changing it.

That barrel you linked is good.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Yousef likes this.
  4. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Sacramento
    Ok thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it. Saved me some money and time :D

5. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Dont forget to flat hop the bucking.

6. Honeybadgerz17

Honeybadgerz17 Well-Known Member

Bellevue
  7. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Sacramento
    I always read and hear about flat hop and r hop, but can't figure out what either mean due to the constant arguements I read. Could someone leave a simple explanation? Thanks.

8. Airborne101

Airborne101 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    Flat hop is the process of flipping the hop up packing inside out and sanding off the nub that protrudes into the barrel. Then you flip the packing back around and install it on the barrel. You get a longer length of contact with the bb, providing better hop up.

The R-hop is a small patch that fits into the barrel window. It is concave in shape and conforms to the bb's curve. Because it conforms to the bb's curve, you get an increase contact with the bb, again providing better hop. The R-hop requires that you "flat hop" the packing by removing the nub as described above.

A well installed/tuned R-hop patch will provide better range/accuracy over a well tuned flat hop packing. Both will give you increased range over a stock packing and particularly excel when using heavier bbs.

Yousef likes this.
  9. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Sacramento
    Thank you my sir. Heres a cookie for the explanation

Attached Files: