Does what I want exist?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by MasterK, Jul 23, 2012.

1. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    I'd like to stick at $250, but I'd push to $300 tops. I'm looking for a lightweight AEG, with it's primary focus as CQB but could still be decent for Field games. I really have no experience with the internal workings of an AEG, but would like to learn. So preferably a setup that would be relatively simple to upgrade or repair if need be, but maybe not require anything immediate. Since this can be a rough and sometimes abusive sport, I'm really more concerned about function than beauty marks.

ICS has been mentioned in many threads as a brand for someone who doesn't really get in the gear box and had pretty decent internals, but their split gearbox design is often easier to work on and upgrade.

During my research I came up with 3 that meet most of the requirements.
    • ICS MP5 line - Most likely poor for field
    • ICS Sig 552 - Not light weight
    • ICS M4 S-System -Proprietary Crane Stock Battery. Probably best for performing dual role

A couple of bargain ideas:

JG Sig 552 Navy Seal version

AEG/JG Matrix PDW

JG MC36C

I don't expect anyone to look at every single one of these, but if any pop out as a good fit, or some I may have missed, I'm open to suggestions for myself to further research.

2. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

When you say light weight what do you mean I don't see a sig 552 to be really heavy.

3. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    The ICS MP5 line is great for both. I really like them, and that's what I'd get. But the knee with the full metal body aren't exactly lightweight...

4. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    Actually, my friend uses Butteryfly type batteries in his ICS M4 S-System Crane Stock with no problem

5. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    I think some of these websites have erroneous info. The weight seems to vary from about 5 lbs to 6.5 depending on where you look. But from the reviews I'm reading, seems it's right about 5 lbs and people like the weight. So, this might significantly help my decision process.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  6. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Yeah my gun is about 8lbs and I am big by no means ,and it is not heavy to me at all. You should be just fine at 5lbs.

7. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Weight depends on distribution. The real steel M4 is about 6.5 pounds spread over just under 3 feet. At the same time the MP5 is about 6 pounds spread over about 2-2.5 feet.

The MP5 feels much lighter but really the difference is about a half pound.

Both guns weight about the same, but weight distribution plays a HUGE role. So don't rely on simple numbers, but how the numbers is dispersed across the gun.

With that said, when looking for a CQB weapon, I highly suggest you handle the weapons to see how they feel and how the weight is distributed.

8. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    Thanks. I was seeing 6.8 and 7+lbs, and this info was listed for the 552 not the longer versions. Maybe an oversight during copy and past of data from one to the next, who knows.

I really like the ICS Sig. Any reason for me not to get it? vs Say the S-System or MP5. The only thing that might be an issue is Mag availability/compatibility, where there seems to be ample choices for M4/MP5 style AEGs.

9. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    Makes sense. I'm going to handle some this week, but I wanted to go in there with a good idea of what I was looking for, maybe 1-3 choices.

10. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    The ICS SIG is great. You can get the shorty version and use it for both. I've handled one and it's not that heavy, hell I was running around with an M60 for a whole day once and I'm not that strong, I think you'll be fine.