Downgrading

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by dinoking1, Dec 13, 2012.

1. dinoking1

dinoking1 New Member

I was just wondering about downgrading. So say that i had a gun i wanted to use for cqb but it was shooting a little to hot(395-410ish) could i just change the spring to get to like a 320-345 fps. Or would that make the other parts in the gun get more wear and tear I thought it might happen cause if it was easier to push the spring then it might make the other parts go faster and maybe wear them down alot quicker. Dont much about this stuff. :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Um no....you can just put a low spring in no problem.

3. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
    False. Depending on the gun, you can run into a whole mess of problems. PE for one.

4. dinoking1

dinoking1 New Member

What is P.E abd what problems could it cause

5. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    ....to 350 FPS? I've only heard of problems with PE in high ROF builds, in all honesty I don't know much about it but plenty of guns fire 350 stock so I figured it would be fine.

6. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
    He also said 320. I never said it would happen, just that it could. Take a G&P, VFC or KWA for example. They all shoot around 22-25 RPS. Drop in a lower spring rate and that could jump 25-30 RPS and if they have a heavy piston assembly (KWA) or use a speed motor (all of them) you may have issues with PE. This all depends also on the battery used.

To the OP: PE stands for premature engagement which is where the gears hit the piston before it completes it's cycle, either killing the piston or gears.

7. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Fair point, and you probably have more experience with PE than I do, in that case, OP what gun do you have?

8. dinoking1

dinoking1 New Member

So with a ics sig 552 commando it might cause problems and if i did drop a lower spring in what else would i need to make sure i dont encounter P.E

9. Bait

Bait New Member

You shouldn't have a problem. My G&P is shooting 300 solid with a downgraded spring. I have about the same ROF, maybe slightly higher. I checked the ROF after 5 hours of play and it was at 19 RPS. At the end of a day which is impressive.

10. dinoking1

dinoking1 New Member

Okay good to know I was just wondering about this

11. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You can switch to a plastic piston head if it currently has a metal one, and remove the ball bearing or any weight that's in the piston. "Swiss cheesing" it will also help reduce he weight. Reducing the weight of the piston assembly will reduce the risk of P.E. and will also be more gentle on the GB shell. You could also look into re-shimming the gears, gluing in the bushings(if it has steel oil less bushings), re-lubing moving parts, and correcting AOE, might as well give it an overhaul while you're at it.

12. dinoking1

dinoking1 New Member

Okay so I basiclly would want to reduce the weight of the piston then just make everything run smoothly with shimming, aoe and a few other things

13. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I recommend you watch some non-retailer and non-sponsored tutorial videos about the mods first, it will make it easier to get it right.

14. Bait

Bait New Member

I don't think that is needed. If your ROF is under 20 you should be fine. I know I am at lest.