Drop leg holsters

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Devgru98, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Devgru98

Devgru98 New Member Supporting Member

Polo
    So, this seems to be a fairly generic problem with drop leg holsters, wobbling, left, right, every which way. You get the point, any ways to fix this or are there certain ones that work better than others? Thanks for any help.

2. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    Tighten them? Lol this is why I don't like drop leg platforms. Too many things can go wrong. Good ole hip holsters, they work wonders.

3. Devgru98

Polo
    I have been using a hip holster for the past few months and last when I used one I had it tightened to the point it was cutting off circulation some lol.

4. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    Is it one strap or two strap; one strap's usually wobble a lot more then two straps. But mainly just tighten them. I don't run a drop leg holster anymore, I use a mole leg panel with a serpa with mole adaptor and a dual pistol mag pouch and it dose not wobble at all, but it is the more expensive route.

5. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    I fixed min by buying a serpa holster and drop leg platform... no wobble...

6. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    My suggestion would be to buy a kydex holster. I switched to a g-code and love it.

7. Havok17

Havok17 New Member

Chicago
    I'm with thatoneguy and agree that good 'ole fashioned hip holsters are the way to go.

8. Username94

Username94 New Member

New York City
    I rock a cheap hip holster. I think its a better option then a wobbly dropleg, unless you of course have the money for a drop leg platform and a serpa.

9. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Nylon drop legs will pretty much always wobble. The material flexes too much and doesn't grip enough. Get a SERPA, G-Code, Safariland, or similar Kydex holster and you'll forget you've even got a gun there until you need to draw it. The difference between a nylon and a kydex drop leg is really amazing.

10. soticman

soticman I like Koch Supporting Member

^This^ i use a safariland drop leg with one strap, the higher up you have it, the less it wobbles.

11. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Excellent point, soticman. Most folks wear their drop legs too low. The pistol's grip should be in your palm if your arm is bent or hitting your wrist if your arm is straight down. You shouldn't have to reach for your draw, it should be very comfortable.

12. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    My friend has a drop leg for his KWC Desert Eagle, it has 3 straps lol. :D he had to hold it while he runs or it wobbles like crazy.

13. Devgru98

Polo
    I have mine as high as it can go, but it's still way to long I'll look into getting a G-code or simlar style

14. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    A Serpa is amazing. Pantac and Flyye also make a flat holster, that keeps the gun much stabler than a standard UTG drop leg you see often.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=38682

The review talks about the stability. If I didn't have a Serpa belt mounted, this is definitely my next choice.

15. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

I'm not trying to hi-jack but what about coyote brown holsters? Are they harder to find? The only ones I seem to find is Safariland.

16. Knief

Ann Arbor
    You have to understand that color names are entirely company dependent. When we talk about issue gear in Coyote Brown, we're talking about EI and AI Coyote Brown because they make the majority of vests issued to the Marines (who use CB). Blackhawk, Safariland, Gcode, Tactical Tailor, LBT, magpul, they all have different names for their colors. Some might use the word "coyote," but that doesn't mean it'll be the exact same shade as EI/AI CB. Many holster manufacturers (BHI, for instance) only make one shade of tan because it's universal enough to go with either CB or Khaki gear.

You're not necessarily trying to buy a holster that is the exact color of the rest of your gear. You just want a holster in the same color range.

17. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Got it, thanks Knief. I'm checking EBay right now for holster to attach to a Flyye MOLLE drop plate.

18. Knief

Ann Arbor
  19. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

I was looking up Serpa's and heard they are being banned by many associations for unsafe use?

Edit: I like that holster either way, just need to find a Glock 17 righty in brown.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  20. Knief

Ann Arbor
    There's been a long running debate about SERPAs in the real steel world. There have been a couple of instances where the shooter has drawn his gun and, in the motion of drawing it, pulled the trigger unintentionally. The cited reason is because to release the gun, you have to push a button near the trigger guard area of the pistol (at this point, the trigger is completely covered). As the shooter pulls the gun up, he keeps pressure with his index finger and as the gun releases from the holster, he drags his finger down onto the trigger, pulling it.

What it comes down to is bad technique, not a bad holster. I've been using a SERPA since it came out. A ton of players in my area use SERPAs. None of us has had or seen an AD as a result of the holster. Basically, one guy didn't fat fingered the thing and fired a round. I actually can't figure out how the hell he even did it. I've tried to replicate it, and my finger always falls on the frame of the gun, not the trigger (the release button is set above the frame, not the trigger guard). Spend some time working with the holster and you'll never have a problem.