DSG Basic Info

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Bullpup GOD, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Bullpup GOD

Bullpup GOD Member

Decatur
    I have seen these dual sector gear builds shooting 60+ RPS easily and was wondering how hard it is to build one. Do i just pop in the DSG and im done or are there other modifications>

2. connorhayden1999

connorhayden1999 Active Member

You need a super heavy spring like an m170 or 80, and a really good motor. Then you’ll have to modify your piston to line up with the teeth of the DSG if I recall

3. Specter4

Specter4 Active Member

Highland
    Okay "easy" isn't the right word, a DSG can be simple if you know exactly what you're doing and what to look out for. The same as dropping an engine can be simple in the same means. Easy is relative so if you've never done it, its the furthest thing from easy

I imagine if you're asking that you probably have never tried opening, or closing a gearbox. I'd urge you to familiarize yourself with your equipment before you go pushing it to extremes like using a DSG or everything is gonna break. Before DSGs it was common to just upgrade the parts you had. Not perm mod. But nobody likes full stroke builds anymore.
    *cries alone in the corner*

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I definitely like full stroke builds, works much better with heavy ammo, DSG builds are kinda boring anyway. (yes I just said that)

It's more to a DSG build than just a DSG gear set and heavy spring and good motor, high output li-po battery (forget using a ni-mh) and a strong piston. You'll also have pay close attention to all details, because when more extreme setups fail, they tend to fail quite violently. One advantage with DSG setups is that it's easier to get them to feed reliably. Getting a 50 RPS SSG setup to feed is almost impossible, while a 50 RPS DSG setup doesn't even require particularly good magazines.

I recommend that you start out with a more moderate ROF single sector setup to get some experience before you try your luck with a DSG setup.

BOA_SP3CT3R and Specter4 like this.
  5. Peeque

Peeque Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lancaster
    I was actually considering trying a high ROF SSG build again. I wouldn't be aiming for 60 RPS probably closer to 40. Why is it harder to get high RPS SSGs to feed than a DSG? Wouldn't the only difference be the gearset?

6. Hangtight

Hangtight Well-Known Member

Air nozzle acceleration and speed is twice as high in a SSG build of the same ROF as a DSG, as the sector gear is rotating twice as quickly. This plays havoc with the feeding.

Peeque and Lefse like this.
  7. Specter4

Specter4 Active Member

Highland
    When you cut a DSG you mod the side opposite of the pickup tooth so It causes the nozzle to 'hang' a little longer before returning. I haven't had problems feeding 40rps SSG, that's the original reason behind a sector gear delayer chip

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've found sector chips to have very little effect on feeding at 40 RPS and beyond actually. It might be because I've done high ROF builds in G&G AEG's, they seem to be very picky on magazines.

9. Specter4

Specter4 Active Member

Highland
    ^
    I don't go beyond 40, my first real maxout speed build was with a hybrid v1/v2 JLS F2000. No sector clip if I remember correctly. Maybe the Myspace Era configuration worked out better for it. The pot metal shell must have had some worthwhile value and structural integrity because it held up just fine at 38rps somehow lol(?). pics related, first one isn't my exact one but it's the gb.
    Second pic is mine, used a bullpup modded MAG mid, check out that shoelace duct tape tactical mag acquisition device. Pre magpul xD

Note: to give some further insight into the f2k build all I really did was drop in a 14tpa element max speed motor and a handmade active braking mosfet, stock JLS 18:1 gearset m110 spring. man the thing should have broken but it held up perfectly and was well worth the $60 plus parts I spent on it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The vid is pretty impressive but it only sounds like about 36 i know it was up closer to 38 on a full charge

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  10. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    gunny hiway and Specter4 like this.
  11. That-One-Guy>>

That-One-Guy>> New Member

Hey everyone,
    So I am currently looking at doing a DSG built and I have a few questions. This Gun is an M4 it will be used for indoors, i usually shoot .25, I have a couple of parts picked out (Matrix high speed 16;1, a metal tooth piston have questions about spring and motor) so for indoors would a m95(290-350 fps) and also im not sure where to look for my motor, i want to shoot at least high 20s low 30s, if someone would respond soon that would be amazing.

12. Hangtight

Where to start...you probably need to go and do quite a lot more research. If you're only wanting high 20-low 30rps then a DSG is probably the worst way of achieving it. A standard SSG will be far easier.
    At higher rates of fire you need a heavier spring to accelerate the piston fast enough to avoid premature engagement. This is when the sector gear comes around before the piston had finished its stroke, and things get smashed. For low 30rps a M120 spring with a slightly lightened piston will do the job, and then to bring the fps back down to the level you want, you short stroke by removing teeth from the sector gear so it can't pull the piston back as far.
    A SHS high torque, 13:1 gears and 11.1v will get you about 34-35rps. The gun would also need to be built with good 16awg wiring, Deans connectors and a Mosfet.
    What other build experience do you have?

13. gunny hiway

gunny hiway Member

fairfield
    good reading interested in dsg build myself, do ya gotta use a mosfet?

14. Hangtight

You don't have too, but given the higher voltage and current draw it's a good idea. Doesn't need to be anything fancy.
    http://sparklabs.si/mosfets/
    The microfet would work fine.

fred_ditto and gunny hiway like this.