Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to build myself a DSG because I never got to build one before and only have built some nice 30 rps builds. The problem I'm having is somehow it's still over spinning and I have no idea why. The nozzle is fully pulled back which is also causing a low fps problem as well. Anyone got any ideas??? Is my battery too strong?

Build

RetroArms Gearbox

SHS Piston (Removed teeth for the dsg and AOE)

SHS 18:1

SHS DSG Gear

SHS 190 Spring (Cut off two coils)

Lonex Cylinder head

Gate Aster (active braking 100% and zero pre cocking)

Krytac 30K 22tpa Motor

G&G tappet plate (cut off half the fin for the geras and took off two coils)

Bushings and piston rack glued

5500 Mah 11.1 50c lipo

· Administrator
12,527 Posts
Battery is never ever too strong. The components that draw on the power source is the issue.

I'll let the DSG Guru's speak up but there are some issues with your components...

· Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Personally, I'd put the ssg sector back in for now, and start working on the quirks of the build. I had a titan mosfet that I used to run on 100% AB and still ran into overspin issues with, but i can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it, or if I even did fix it.

Off the rip, you can diagnose a lot of these parts and figure out where your problems are occurring.
Overspin: comes from battery, motor, mosfet/wiring, gearset, piston, and spring
low fps: air seal components, tappet timing, spring.

ssg swap will let you test the tappet timing without it needing to be as exact for dsg, since theres only one cam instead of two. id start with swapping to a regular tappet plate and plate spring and ssg and testing it. If your fps is good, you know its probably related to tappet timing.

immediate solution to the overspin is to use a smaller battery right now(7.4). get the ssg and fps squared away first, and then revisit it. My initial guess is that its either a mislabeled spring or the mosfet isnt doing cycle detection properly (make sure its set to dsg if thats a setting on the aster)
if the spring is mislabeled, and its not actually an m190, you may be at risk for pme and it would definitely cause overspin. I don't use shs springs in builds

also, I believe the RA shells have reinforcement in the front which causes the air nozzle to not sit as far forward as other gearbox shells. This means you have to make up for that somehow.
E/ just measured one and it seems teh same as vfc

havent worked on an aeg in a long time, but i got the email notif on this one and figured id chime in.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will go ahead and buy a new m190 spring and see how that goes, but I am considering that I might have a defective gate aster but I did find an old forem that Umbrella Armorer was having some problems with their DSG builds. They claimed that the censors were defective or that they needed to move the gate aster to try and get the censor to detect better. Ive’d tried this and it didn’t do much to help.

Like you said, if I also just put back in a single sector gear with an uncut tappet plate and spring I could test my fps and I also could test if the gate master censors even work with the single sector cam.

My last resort would be to buy a Perun Hybrid V2 because instead of the censers detecting the cams, it will detect the teeth. The Hybrid v2 also has a DSG mode that's not locked behind a $60 paywall that the gate aster is. That's the last thing I could come up with.

Thanks for the extra help!

· Premium Member
1,812 Posts
I will go ahead and buy a new m190 spring and see how that goes, but I am considering that I might have a defective gate aster but I did find an old forem that Umbrella Armorer was having some problems with their DSG builds. They claimed that the censors were defective or that they needed to move the gate aster to try and get the censor to detect better. Ive'd tried this and it didn't do much to help.

Like you said, if I also just put back in a single sector gear with an uncut tappet plate and spring I could test my fps and I also could test if the gate master censors even work with the single sector cam.

My last resort would be to buy a Perun Hybrid V2 because instead of the censers detecting the cams, it will detect the teeth. The Hybrid v2 also has a DSG mode that's not locked behind a $60 paywall that the gate aster is. That's the last thing I could come up with.

Thanks for the extra help!
AH i couldnt remember it but I definitely did this to fix my issue. Umbrella had posted up about the boards being too far away, and i ended up stacking I think electrical tape wads on teh base of the titan to bring it closer.
I was getting the double shots but i believe it went away after this.

· Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah it's over spinning just enough to pull the tappet plate all the way back.
That's normal. What's not normal is if it actually double shoots from overspin. Then you have a problem.

Overspin actually prevents overspin in the next cycle for semi as the rpm doesn't peak as high as when cycling from the very start of the cycle.

· Registered
3 Posts
Over spin as in double cycling? Or over spinning like a faux pre-cock?

I have built a couple DSGs with Asters and they initially had feeding/low fps issues. Try adding some pre-cocking and making the AB Active/Adaptive. ETU's can be weird where you may need to fiddle with AB and pre-cock (I built a 10:1 SSG 5 teeth short stroked Warhead 52k Brushless build that required some pre-cock to not double cycle). Try setting it at 20 m/s and working from there to get rid of the double cycle.

Low FPS can be a bunch of things. Try a stronger tappet spring (McMasteCarr) or cut 2 coils from the current one. Are you able to try out different length nozzles as well?

You may also need to closely look at your tappet timing again. See if the plate actually pulls back all the way and if it has enough time to pull back AND reset. I think tappet timing is the DSGs main problem in like 90% of builds.

I got a 16:1 DSG 30k 23tpa slim motor Aster DSG to pre-cock at 14m/s and feed reliably at 1.1-1.15 joules (field limit). The other Aster DSG build I am still working to get reliable pre-cock, but I think it is mainly due to the hop rubber and nozzle dimensions as it is reliable with no pre-cock.

Mid cap syndrome is a another issue, the stronger tappet spring seems to work best for me.

I am building 2 Perun Hybrid V2 DSGs at the moment, and I think I prefer the Aster at this time. The Peruns feed and FPS is fine, but I want to work in pre-cock, so same issue as my other Aster build (nothing to do with the ETU).

Hope that helps.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I turn on pre-cocking it will double shoot. If I put active breaking on adaptive it will double shoot. The low fps and feeding issues are coming from the fact that the nozzle is pulled all the way back from the over spin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.