Duster Gas in Metal Hi Capa

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by gb65, Sep 10, 2012.

1. gb65

gb65 New Member

I'm new to Airsoft and this forum as well but not new to shooting. Got some great info in the newbie section and it led to more research and questions. Don't have an Airsoft pistol yet.

Found that the Marui Hi-Capa's need to run on duster gas and their pistols have a plastic slide. Also found if you use Duster gas on the metal slide units like KWA, KJA, WE you'll probably get jams as it doesn't have enough power to operate it properly. In real 45's, you can swap out the recoil spring for lighter or heavier loads and it will operate fine.

In the full metal 1911's, can you get a lighter recoil spring or make some type of modification so it will work with the duster gas instead of the more powerful green/propane gas? I'm looking to shoot in my basement and with the cold weather coming won't have windows open much and see the propane could be a problem without good ventilation.

Are these GBB's using green/propane really intended as outdoor guns?

Thanks!!

2. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    TMs do not need to run on Duster Gas. They will do just fine on Green Gas. Been running mine on GG and never had any problems with them.

3. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

^this.

Been runnin my TM 5-7 on straight propane for almost 2 years without any major issues. Only thing is it has issues firing when it's hot, due to the increased pressure.

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    The bit about TM (or any Japanese GBB) needing to run on duster is a bit out dated. The vast majority of newer TM and KSC GBBs are just fine on Propane or Green Gas. The older TM M9s are the notable exception, though now that they've released an updated version, it's likely that it'll be pretty propane safe as well. Maruzen and WA are still on the fragile side stock, but TM and KSC will be fine on propane.

As for aftermarket recoil springs, they are available but they're almost all going to be stiffer springs. You use these when upgrading from a plastic slide to a metal slide so you don't lose that snap. You're right that a lot of guns with metal slides have a hard time cycling on lower pressure gas, but a lot of that comes from nothing but the extra weight in the slide itself. Airsoft recoil springs are much much softer than real steel springs. In most cases, they're as soft as possible while providing a bit of snap for the user. If you go lighter, can end up with a slide the bounces around when you move the gun (WE 1911s do this, for instance) or won't return to battery on every shot. The stiff recoil spring is rarely the reason a GBB won't cycle, and I haven't seen a case where lightening the recoil spring solved a problem.

5. gb65

gb65 New Member

Is there a way then that I can use the duster gas in the all metal 1911's and have it work reliably? I'm not convinced yet I can shoot the green/propane gas in the basement during the colder weather without the windows getting opened alot.

Also, are these green gas guns really meant for outdoor use, not in the home?

Thanks

6. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

They can be used in home all the time. I'm a GBB tech, and do a lot of the test firing in my room. I can dump several magazines worth of ammo before I start smelling the propane/GG.

7. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    What? You can safely use gas blow-back guns inside your house. There will be no problem at all. You need a certain ratio of propane/air to make it a flammable combination and you will never achieve that with a green gas gun.

Also, you can use duster gas in every blow-back gun without problems.

8. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    You can shoot with propane/green gas indoors as long as you have a little ventilation. It'll stink, but you're not releasing that much gas per shot. It's far too little to be a fire hazard, and unless your basement is the size of a dog kennel, I can't imagine you'd have to worry about asphyxiation. Don't sweat it so much.

This isn't necessarily true. You can try to use duster gas in every GBB without harming the gun or yourself. However, many Taiwanese guns require the extra pressure from propane/green gas to cycle properly, especially if you're talking about a house heated to say, 68 degrees F (or colder in the basement) in the winter.