EBR Build

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Sophomore, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    So i've decided to build my first DMR.
    I've built a couple of speed guns in the past but never a DMR.

I need your opinion whether or not I should use some of the parts I have laying around.

My target FPS is 500

I have 2 sets of KWA 2GX gears laying around, should I just use that and kwa's piston+metal non-ported piston head or purchase SHS 32:1 and new piston+ported plastic piston head.

KWA claims that the gears are high torque on their site.

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Uh I'm no super tech but won't you need a new spring to get near that FPS?

3. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    I stated the goal to see whether or not the gears are capable of pulling a spring strong enough to give me 500fps

4. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Yes. 18:1 ratio will pull a 500fps spring given you have a high torque motor. You shouldn't have a problem with it being KWA either.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    KWA gears are sintered.....watch them crumble like cookies.

6. bbattlefield

bbattlefield New Member

Hey OP, and no offense to the guy above me, but i am actually curious to see this happen. I think it might work (kwa gears). I think you should try the gears for the fun of it.

7. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    M14's are complicated to take apart. I don't want to take it apart more then I have to.

8. GreenListerine

GreenListerine New Member

XYT 18:1's
    M145 spring
    Neo torque motor

Those can get you over 500 fps.

The non-ported piston head isn't a bad idea. A heavy piston assembly will help transfer energy for heavier bbs on DMR builds (semi-auto only of course)

9. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Eh, GE gears :p
    But XYT, GE, JG gears will still give out eventually at 500+ fps.

BTW. don't listen to bff, he probably doesn't even know what sintered means :p

10. bbattlefield

bbattlefield New Member

I mean, they make jet turbines by sintering, so I guess the gears are pretty good. I was actually referring to the cookie crumble :p

11. bbattlefield

bbattlefield New Member

Well they make jet turbines by sintering, so I guess the gears are pretty good. And I was referring to the cookie crumble lol

EDIT: sorry about double post, my phone froze, so I went back in and refreshed it and there was nothing there. So I posted again. Then it showed up :/

12. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    What kind of gun is this going into? You say EBR, which in my book is an m14. If its a TM spec it has special gears. If its G&G spec, I'm not sure.

13. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    I am confused. If you are doing a DMR Build, you are going to have to disassemble everything down to the last bushing.

So is this the only thing you needed help with, or is this the only thing you know you have to do so far?

14. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    That's a completely different type of sintering, just Google broken KWA gears and look at the yummy pictures.

15. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    well if its the GG m14 ebr you bought i am very curious. I just bought archers marui ebr. I am thinking of capping out at 400fps tho. shs gears and a solid high torque motor. following a teflon cylinder, shs air nozzle, guarder double o ring cylinder head, and a m120 spring. then a jbu 6.01 inner barrel for the shot placement i want. gonna see how it works and may end up going to the m130 if i am real short. just going to disable full auto on it.

16. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    G&G and Marui M14s gearboxes aren't the same.

JBU 6.01 = crap, double O-ring cylinder head isn't needed.

17. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

You need to know how to take your gun apart/put it back together and the gearbox so well that you can do it blindfolded. You need to know it inside and our, period. V7's may be difficult, but practice makes perfect.

18. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    I know the gearboxes aren't the same. And I'll do my thing the way i want it. Can't find prometheus barrels that are 6.01 and 500mm long. All sold out. So i will use the jbu and eventually drop it in my cyma. But thanks for your input

19. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    6.01s are horrible.
    6.03 = better

20. Blades

Blades New Member

I would really, really recommend going up to the 6.03 and getting a Prometheus barrel, I have one 9mm longer and it is fantastic, you won't be disappointed. I was skeptical about going from a 6.01 to a 6.03, but it works very well. I'll do some more searching around for you because it would definitely be worth your while to get one of those.