Echo 1 M14 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by RedneckWarrior, Aug 12, 2012.

1. RedneckWarrior

RedneckWarrior New Member

San Antonio
    Howdy guys,

I am thinking right now to replace my M14's 509mm inner barrel with a 550mm inner barrel just to give it some more percision and accuracy. Would I need to do some kind of other upgrade to compensate for adding that extra 41mm besides covering up that little bit of inner barrel?:confused:

Thanks for replying.

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Well it won't make your gun more accurate just by adding a longer barrel that's a common misconception getting a tightbore barrel on the other hand will do you well in the accuracy area.

3. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    A fine tuned hop up system will help more than the TBB. The TBB will up your FPS a tad bit(only sometimes) and increase your shot consistency and range. The bucking is what helps with accuracy. Basically follow Tacketts guide and your fun will get so much better.

Also, just stick to your current barrel length. Your hop up bucking will be shorter on an m14 if I remember right so if you get a new bucking you will have to cut it down.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's exactly right, barrel length is not very relevant to accuracy and range. Accuracy and range is affected by the bb, the hop-up, and the quality and bore diameter of the barrel, in order of priority. FPS consistency is also essential to get good accuracy, varying FPS will give more oval groupings.

5. RedneckWarrior

San Antonio
    Thanks for y'all's help. This solves my problems exactly, unlike stupid AirsoftGI's "tech department", who pretty much just called me an idiot for inquiring about this same information

6. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Lol. ASGI "tech" department. They fail... Anyways, no problem. It's what we're here for.

7. RedneckWarrior

San Antonio
    Also, I am looking to upgrad it from it's stock state to a sort of DMR / Sniper rifle creation. I was planning on the TBB, an avacado burst wizard, some 7mm bushings, and a spring upgrde to make it shoot about 450FPS at MAX ( mid/low 400's would be nice) Any thoughts / advice?

8. ShooterMcgavin

ShooterMcgavin New Member

New Port News
    Well I would use the guide on here to clean out and shine your gearbox then get perfect compresion. Also like stated before hopup is more important for range and accuracy.

9. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Hehe. Finally a build thread! :p

Parts list:

-m130 spring
    -Steel bushings
    -metal cylinder head
    -POM Piston head
    -Metal spring guide with bearings
    -Air seal nozzle
    -Stock gears are probably okay
    -SHS 15T nylon piston (full metal rack with nylon body)
    -Torque motor (Lonex, SHS, AMP are good)
    -Stock Tappet should be good, but I would replace it to a better one because of the mods you will be doing to it.
    -14 AWG wires
    -deans
    -11.1v Lipo battery
    -DE MOSFET (burst avocado doesn't protect trigger contacts)

Mods:
    -radius
    -Compression mods (as many as possible)
    -glue air nozzle to Tappet
    -Sand down from of Tappet to about 2/3 of the original thickness)
    -flat hop or r hop (Guarder bucking)
    -70D Sorbo and AOE Correction
    -reshim relube, etc.
    -Fine tune hop up.
    -Disable full auto (can't remember how right now. Lol)

That's all I can think of right now. There's a lot more mods out there, I know.

10. RedneckWarrior

San Antonio
    :eek: WOW! that is alot of stuff. Honestly, I know about Lipos, and it's not that I trust them, but I just dont really see the point in them except getting a redicilous ROF. I have my 9.6v and I think that it suits nicely. However, all this other stuff seems worth doing.

Thanks