Featured Echo 1 red star Ak 47 RIS / Lipo ready? Battery?

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Engr146, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Engr146

Engr146 New Member

Salem
    New member/Newbie to air soft
    just bought this echo 1 ak 47 details says Lipo ready ,comes with a Nimh 8.4 v 1500mah battery large timya plug and wall charger.,I have a s2/s3 Lipo charger already ,what Lipo battery should I buy to upgrade? Or should
    I buy just a 9.6 battery and smart charger!any help
    Thanks
    Tommy

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Any 2S LIPO that fits will be just fine.

So it came with this Large NIMH battery (Sub-Cells)? The plug that is large (molex type) in Airsoft is actually called a Kyosho. The Smaller Airsoft plug is called Tamiya.

There is no such thing as a Large Tamiya or a Small Tamiya, people that didn't know the correct terms started making up nomenclature. Like another false term for a rubber sleeve around a pipe - aka Bucking. It's actually called a "packing". But, I digress, again.

The plugs are proprietary plugs for the two Japanese RC Houses of:

Tamiya - https://www.tamiya.com/

All Tamiya Connectors has the positive wire on the round plug and the negative is on the square plug.

Tamiya.JPG

and

Kyosho - https://rc.kyosho.com/en/

Always has the positive on the Square plug and the negative wire is on the U plug.

kyosho.JPG

Can you confirm which plug you have?

If you have a Kyosho plug, it will be near impossible to find a battery that is a LIPO with that plug. Most RC LIPO use Dean, XTC or bullet connectors.

99% of the other Airsoft batteries will either have a Tamiya Connector or a T-Connector (aka a low grade Deans connector)

You may need to get a Female Kyosho adapter to "other" male connector or just change the end out to the connector of choice.

If your pack is a Sub-C, you have a lot of options on what you want to run in a LIPO. You could get a Monster 2S at 7200mah and slide it into that stock.

Or just get a Mini-Size 2S lipo at 2600mah and know you can move it to 90% of the AEG's on the market as a useable battery pack.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Ben3721, aotsukisho and Peeque like this.

3. Engr146

Engr146 New Member

Salem
    I actually received gun so I could actually confirm what I have! It came with a 9.6 battery and cheap wall charger, Battery does have a Tamiya type connector. Although I'm happy it came with the larger 9.6 Nimh Battery I ordered a 11.1 lipo with same Tamiya connector, I already have the S3 Balance charger and voltage testers from my quadcopters.
    Thank You for such an excellent breakdown on connectors
    Tom

aotsukisho likes this.
  4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    You have this type of balance charger?

[​IMG]

If you do...it's not ideal. Those chargers charge via the management cable and they are not of any quality. Lose a channel on that charger and it will wreck your pack.

You should charge via the power cable and let a good charger keep the pack balanced via the management cable.

Ben3721, Peeque and aotsukisho like this.
  5. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

The connector on the right is the Traxxas High Current connector, another popular one with Traxxas RCs. It's kind of like a flat Deans Ultra plug that doesn't require heat shrink.

They're not near impossible to find but you shouldn't be using those anyway lol.

Deans Ultra is the gold standard, XT60 has been trying its hardest to catch on but in my opinion they are just not as good. Gold plated bullet connectors on the larger end are also great for extreme high current (100A+ continuous with Castle 6.5mm) but they aren't as convenient to use.

I think the 2s butterfly packs around 1400-2000mAh fit 90% of AEGs as well

Engr mentioned he has voltage testers, I'm assuming they are by-cell voltage testers. Cheap balance tap chargers are fine as long as you monitor voltage after charging and don't expect them to be 100% reliable.

[​IMG]
    My Hitec lipo meter, love this one as it gives all voltages simultaneously and has a 'fuel tank' reading. It will also slowly bleed the cells with higher voltages to balance the pack.

That being said, I do recommend something up to the task especially as you grow your battery investment. Imax B6 or B6AC are what most people recommend and they are very good for the price. I use the B6AC just so I don't have to worry about matching it to an external AC adapter. Those balance tap only chargers tend to fail by not cutting charge at an appropriate time, and have seen them overcharge cells to 4.35v before stopping. You get what you pay for.

6. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Let me add addition information, by 3S Tap Charger (learned a new thing today...thanks Aots.) Cybergun bought a lot of them ($1.98 each wholesale), over the course of use by end users the unit would fail by losing a charging channel. Then the packs get charged with one pack being off by .65V...then pack gets used...and that cell will be drained to a level that is unrecoverable.

If you check it by the way aotsukisho mentions you will catch it...if not...it will ruin a pack. Most of these packs are rated for 200 cycles. Granted it they are not super expensive, but why ruin something with low grade tap charger. Now if you have a really good tap charger, ignore my comments. But in Airsoft and what distribution sells...those are not "good" tap chargers. And this experience is for those that read this article and may surmise Airsoft Tap Chargers are good...when they are not...like the 1500mah pack you have and the 12V wall charger.

It's all marketing propaganda that is making the buyer think they are getting a good deal.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    aotsukisho and Peeque like this.
  7. Engr146

Engr146 New Member

Salem
    I posted pics of Balance charger and 11.1v Lipo I bought,But don't see them, I will just use both 9.6 Batteries and smart charger till I get more knoledge about my unit and lipo's

8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Did you imbed the images into the post?

9. Peeque

Peeque Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lancaster
    When you click on upload a file and choose the image you want to upload it show up below the post/upload/more buttons.

Screenshot_20210430-095544_Chrome.jpg

To insert the photo into your post you will need to then click either thumbnail or full image for each photo you want to insert. The photo will be inserted where ever your cursor is.

Thumbnail looks like this:
    Screenshot_20210430-095452_Chrome.jpg

Full image looks like this:
    Screenshot_20210430-095452_Chrome.jpg

10. Engr146

Engr146 New Member

Salem
  11. Engr146

Engr146 New Member

Salem
    That worked posting Pics thanks! These Pics show what I have! I just bought a CYMA AK 74 cm048 all steel&real wood Battery is stored in stock, Gun Doesn't come with a battery so I just bought a 11.1 Lipo for other echo 1 AK 47 is that OK for both or should I use a 7.4 v Lipo both say Lipo ready ,but theres no Mosfet in either.
    Thanks Guys!

12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    That LIPO is Puffy, it's not supposed to be like that.

Normal LIPO Battery

[​IMG]

See not puffy. Your battery has been improperly used.

That Charger is not good. Back at Palco, we have 40% failure rate on those.

Plus that isn't an Airsoft connector on that battery.

13. Engr146

Engr146 New Member

Salem
    That pic is for demo only, Those batteries are for my quadcopter, and yes they are junk(swollen old) batteries.as I wrote I can use testers and balance charger for my new AK,s Lipos Need to know if I should use 11.1v or 7.4 on my AK,s both store in the stock,and come with 9.6v nimh

14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    2S LIPO is more inline with a 9.6v NIMH under load.

I wouldn't run a 3S in any AEG unless it's rated from the factory that way. Krytac is for an example.

15. Engr146

Engr146 New Member

Salem
    I will do more research before I buy anymore Lipos, But ur rite! I think I would need to stick with 7.4V without having Mosfets