Effective ambush setup?

Discussion in 'Tactics & Strategies' started by Death_by_turtleZ, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Death_by_turtleZ

Death_by_turtleZ New Member

I was wondering how I could effectively set up an ambush on the other team sometimes. I play in a large wooded area. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Atlas

2. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

Is there a path through the woods commonly used? If there is, get some nice camouflage and set yourself up about 35 feet from the edge of the path. Make sure you are well camouflaged and in a crouched/prone position! Standing up will make it harder for your human silhouette to be distorted, making it easier for the enemy to see you. Also, make sure you have a light of sight that is clear of brush and trees. Otherwise, your BBs will hit the brush or trees and bounce off.

I'll need a better description of your woods to come up with better tactics. It's hard to come up with tactics for land described as a woodland because it's hard to tell what kind of woodland it is.

3. Death_by_turtleZ

Death_by_turtleZ New Member

Sounds like a good plan. The wooded area I play in has tall trees and low brush not too much though. And yes there is a commonly used trail I could set this up on.

Thanks

4. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Determine their most likely route, then hide as best you can, keeping a line of sight to the route. When the come along, wait for them to relax (because they don't think anyone is there) and then shoot them.

5. 123456abcdef

123456abcdef New Member

Chapel Hill
    Your ambush will be most effective if you go out and make dig a hole or make a camo barrier to hide in or behind, you want to be comfortable. Also, it is important to wait until the last man passes you to ambush them so that you can get all of them, be patient.

6. Panther-

Panther- New Member

El Diablo
    Well, sort of;

I know that some teams don't like digging holes, because they can be a hazard to have on the field if concealed. They management at my field doesn't allow any holes to be dug unless they are well defined trenches at a established base. This may seem like a bit much, but no-one would want to be sprinting and fall/trip in a hole, just safety.
    You do want to let the last man pass If you are the first line, but not if you are the last line of ambush. It loses steam when the target can just sprint out of the kill box easily. Ideally, for a good ambush, to avoid friendly fire, you will want to form into a "L" shape. When they walk into frontal fire, they will want to move off to a side, or get out the exposed area, which is where the other part of the "L" comes in to take them out when they do. Front to scare and get a few, side to mop up. Whether you want both segments to open fire at once or not is your choice. Personally, I let the side flank of the "L" start firing about 3 seconds after the front. Just my two cents.

7. 123456abcdef

123456abcdef New Member

Chapel Hill
    The L shape is very effective but a well timed ambush from one firing position can be just as effective. If the teams are more than 6 you should do an L shape but if not than you can get all of them easily. And letting the last man pass is if you are ambushing from the side. It will help you be able to escape if you have to because they won't know where the ambush came from. You could always set up an ambush from a head on position. Those are very effective and scary if you are on the receiving end.

8. Axis

My earlier tactic is still valid then. Good. :)

If you have the right kind of ghillie suits, you could climb a tree and wait for the enemy to stop by before shooting them.

9. 123456abcdef

123456abcdef New Member

Chapel Hill
    Climbing a tree might not be the best idea unless you make a sturdy platform in the tree because if you get shot at you might fall out of the tree.

10. Axis

True. xD Didn't really think of that. It would make for a hilarious Youtube video, though. x)

11. 123456abcdef

123456abcdef New Member

Chapel Hill
    Ya I have thought of climbing trees for a good ambush but I didn't want to fall out of the tree.

12. S1lentkiller910

S1lentkiller910 New Member

i usually like to do several different ambushes depending on the terrain. if there is a bridge or small spot where the enemy must go through i use this tactic often. in my team i have 10 players but for this you could easily use 5 or 4. have one person with a loud gun (a saw in my teams case) straight across the bridge with two other people on either side a bit closer. of course this is an obvious ambush because of the choke point and most teams will see it. but what i do is ill have 1 or two people (either with high ROF or quiet guns) on the side of the bridge hiding and letting the enemy pass them. once they try crossing the choke point have everyone start firing. more then likely the enemy will notice the saw first and hide from that (in my experience because the saw on my team sounds like a F#&king beast) and thats when they are caught in the cross fire with almost nowhere to hide.

of course that may not always work so basic rules are
    1. hit them where they don't have much cover
    2. when they don't have much space to move
    3. Ambushes have to be fast to be effective otherwise you risk them calling for help.
    4. don't spring a trap when they are too far away. i have seen that happen way too often.
    5. you are the one who is setting the trap. use the terrain to your advantage. if you cant get a good ambush from where you think they will most likely head try to push them into another ambush that they may think is safe way out.
    6.use noise to disorient them. use thunder b's or just louder guns in general.
    7.if there is possible cover for them try to have someone ready to flank it.

sorry for the long list but i have always been a fan of setting ambushes and im just writing everything in my head XD

13. matthewzguitarz

matthewzguitarz New Member

anza
    I have only done a few ambushes, but I usually do something like this. Set up along a commonly traveled path and wait for them, or set up around a path, and have a high priority(spelt wrong?) target walk up and down the path to lore enemies in, then attack and hope you don't kill your team member. Or do it with a easy to kill target, the people I battle go after the people with weakest guns first, then use their whole team to hunt down the strong weapons.

14. AKJoker

AKJoker New Member

Well last ambush I set up was in a forest. There were three hills in a triangle around a 20 yard clearing. I set up 2 guys with aegs on each hill and as soon as the enemy walked through the clearing, we lit them up. It worked extremely well

15. AirRaider19

AirRaider19 New Member

This tactic may not apply to you but is sure to succeed every time. In the middle of my airsoft field is a huge ravine, that opens up on both sides. It also has huge hills on either side. What I do is order one of my scouts to act as a rabbit and draw the enemy into the ravine. Meanwhile, the rest of the team sets up, half of the guys hiding on one side of the hill and half on the other. When the rabbit is clear, we open up and completely slaughter the enemy team. Works every single time.

16. AirRaider19

AirRaider19 New Member

It's a densely forested field so I thought this tactic might help you.

17. Tbs021

Tbs021 New Member

Castle rock
    This is your basic ambush set up done in the military.

___road____________________________________
    <A B >
    These two people should looking down the road, they are your alert system and watch your flank.

___road____________________________________
    <A A A A SL B B B >
    B
    This is the best way to set up an ambush."A" is your alpha team and "B" is your bravo team, "SL" is the squad leader. You can also alternate your teams like <A B A SL B A B A B>. The squad leader needs to be in the middle in order to maintain control. Once you find a place to put the ambush the squad leader should ensure all personnel are not easily visible. You can also have a person watching your 6.

___road_________enemy_____________________
    < <A A A A SL B B B >
    B

When everything is ready and the enemy is coming down the road wait till the majority of their force is middle than open fire with the highest causality producing weapon.

That is your basic ambush.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  18. MikeyBugs95

MikeyBugs95 Member

New York
    I, and probably everyone else on this thread, don't know what you mean...

OP. Usually some of the best ambush setups are in "L" formations or from higher up than the enemy. The reason why these setups work so well is because it provides both sides with very good line of sight (as long as there are no trees in the way of said line of sight) and it also minimizes the risk of friendly fire because both sides are out of the firing line of the other side.

Possibly another good setup is, if you have a trail with a sloping hill and a sniper or two on your team, is to have the sniper act as a distraction by laying on the hill firing down at the enemy as they approach. Have one or two guys supporting and protecting the sniper. Set up the rest of your team along the road in a "L" formation or on just one side. When the sniper starts firing at said enemy and when said enemy takes up defensive positions, thats when you spring your trap.

19. UrdnotWrex

UrdnotWrex Member

Gettysburg, PA
    Kudos to Weasel for using a diagram. How 'bout citing where it is from in whatever source/FM?