Electric Recoil Guns - Update on Tokyo Marui vs. KWA?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Happydonuts5, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    Hi everyone! I've always really liked this forum but haven't posted much. I am looking for a good electric recoil gun, and after much digging around I wasn't able to find a really updated view on this. For anyone who has a view on this, can you help add some details on how KWA's Electric Recoil Gun (ERG) now performs? It's now 2018 and they have come out with the AEG 3.0 platform which has simulated recoil and is supposedly an improvement over the original ERG. Can people comment on what is new and how good / reliable the KWA platform is?

I also have gotten caught up in the Tokyo Marui mystique. Their Recoil Shock series (https://www.evike.com/products/56862/) has caught my eye, and I have been going back and forth between the two. The TM is more expensive, harder to find and ship, and also seems to be more proprietary. Between the TM and KWA, how do they stake up and is there a clear reason to choose one over the other?

Thank you!!

2. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    The TM is far more reliable than the KWA ERGs. The KWA ERG's have more recoil than TM and shoots 400fps rather than 300fps of the TM. TM is more expensive.

-Spitfire- likes this.

3. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    Thanks for the reply! Is this because TMs are just put together better or is it because it shoots less FPS so there is less strain?

My impression was that KWA was at least close in terms of reliability but it seems like TM is the way to go if they are far more reliable.

How does one go about getting a TM in the US (California)? I checked with eHobbyAsia and Echigoya and they say they don’t ship to California, while RedWolf does but they caution that the TM trademarks might get them seized at customs. Does anyone have experience with this?

4. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    TM is definitely put together better than any other brand. They have the best quality control of any company. Less FPS does mean less strain on the gun too, esp with recoil guns, which inherently have much more strain than non-recoil guns.

I haven't done it personally, but I believe most people use a re-shipper service from the East Coast + Echigoya to get TM in California.

5. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    Awesome thank you for the responses!! Seems like TM is the way to go.

Another question - TM makes an M4 SOPMOD and an HK416D replica. The HK is a lot more expensive - is there a reason for this? Is the primary difference largely styling or is a there performance related rationale as well? I’m aware the HK has a monolithic rail but overall the silhouette is similar to the M4.

I’m having trouble deciding which to go after because both look great. Any opinions here are helpful too!

6. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    My friend's new KWA ERG locked up on his first game. He got it fixed, but I'm not so sure if that problem will go away permanently now. I wonder how common this problem is on their 3.0 ERGs.

7. Mewgen

Mewgen Member

San Francisco
    I own 3 and this has been an issue where the bolt lock would engage due to weak spring. I remedied all of my ERG's by replacing the bolt lock with a slightly stronger spring. All of mine have been very reliable after the mod.

MADR77 likes this.
  8. Mewgen

Mewgen Member

San Francisco
    Having owned both, the HK416d was more solid all around. Internals were exactly the same. Externals were more refined; less wobble, better tolerances with receiver threading. To me, the HK416 felt like a much better quality product. It should be noted the HK416 is heavier. That club stock is ginormous.

Hk416 has a gas piston and higher top rail. It also has an ambi selector. I would rather have the 416. If you're going for the HK416, get the Devgru because it comes with the rear sling mount and suppressor.

MADR77 likes this.
  9. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    This is great to know, really appreciate the detail! It seems like they do a great job with marketing; would have thought these things were indestructible now that they’ve been around a while now

10. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    Thanks! Did they both hold up pretty well for you? I was planning to keep it mostly stock except for maybe a 7.4 Lipo (I hear this does not require additional internal mods, but an 11.1 would).

Also thanks for the detail on the M4 vs HK416. Seems like they’re essentially the same internally so I assume performance is similar. I believe the 416 is a newer release - is the felt “recoil” harder it also just about the same?

Also thanks for weighing in on the models - I actually really liked the 416D non DEVGRU because it allows you to change barrel length a bit and that clunky stock for some reason is what I imagine as the stereotypical 416. Seems like for all practical purposes the 416 is better but I still sort of like look of the classical triangle front sight on the M4 (realize this is less practical and flip up sights are better), so will have to think about it a little more. In any case, it seems like the 416’s rail sits higher vs the M4. Do you like that over the SOPMOD’s rail height?

Thanks again everyone for the insight - really can’t get this info even if you dig around a lot of reviews

11. Mewgen

Mewgen Member

San Francisco
    Same, or less recoil with the 416 huge stock. Rail height doesn't bother me. If you like the Sopmod, just get that. To each his own. Just make sure you get the Sopmod v2.

12. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    Thanks! So I’m aware, how does one tell if the SOPMOD is v2 or not? Asking because the Japanese sites / sellers on EBAY do not describe the product that extensively. Is it a pretty big difference?

May get the 416 if safer because all of those are the relatively new models, correct?

13. Mewgen

Mewgen Member

San Francisco
    You can't differentiate from the outside. The only way to tell is by removing the upper receiver. On newer models, there's 2 plastic shims that prevent the receiver from wiggling. It sits between the upper receiver and gearbox toward the buffer tube. The 416d has this along with all newer models. Usually looking at the manual parts section is a pretty good indication it's a newer model.

14. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    You have to remember that TM guns only shoot 300 fps. If you are going to use it at a 400 fps field, you will be at a disadvantage. To bring the TM up to 400fps and have good reliability, you'll have to change out a lot of the gearbox internals, which won't be cheap on parts/labor. This adds to the already high TM upfront costs.

I actually think the KWA ERG's are a great deal because they come stock at 400fps and are pretty cheap to boot. Just buy from a store with a really good return policy. Immediately put a ton of rounds through your KWA when you buy it to check for any issues.