Electrical Help

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Laserfish, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Laserfish

Laserfish New Member

Columbia
    Hey all, I'm working on a new gun. It's an M16A4 DMR built from a CA M15A4 SPR. I've already installed all of the gearbox parts necessary except for wiring stuff. I have very poor electrical skills so our very own pienoob will be helping me out by installing it. Anyway, on to the question.

This gun is currently pulling a 500 FPS spring, and will be pulling up to a 600 FPS spring in the future. I have an 11.1v 25-50c 1600mah LiPo battery and I want to run it with a MOSFET. What kind of wiring and MOSFET do you recommend to ensure that the trigger contacts don't fry and the gun has a good lifespan.

2. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Pick up an Extreme Fire Panther mosfet and grab a wiring kit. All you have to do is solder the trigger contacts, rest is just plug and play.

Be warned, if you go with the Panther, you won't be able to use 14.8vs.

3. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    I have limited teaching experience, but I think 16 gauge wire combined with a DisguisedEnemy MOSFET combined with good soldering will be all you need.

4. Laserfish

Laserfish New Member

Columbia
    So the Panther should just plug between the battery and the gun? And that will be enough to protect it? Also, do they make them wired to Deans by any chance?

So I should only need the MOSFET and the wire then?

5. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    The panther is still a mosfet, and will still require you to open the gearbox and rewire it. Which is why I suggested the wire kit, as it will provide everything you need to wire the gun.

6. Laserfish

Laserfish New Member

Columbia
    Oh, okay, so that will come with the mosfet and wire?

7. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Um, the mosfet and wire? If you want anything else you'll have to buy it.

8. Laserfish

Laserfish New Member

Columbia
    Yeah I mean the wire kit. That would come with the MOSFET and wire right?

9. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    16awg pvc coated will be the thinnest 16awg that will fit easily in the gearbox.
    24awg for the trigger contact.
    decide if you want a 3 wire or 4 wire mosfet.

10. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    The panther has screw terminals wires go into... You'll have to do a bit of soldering, but it's not too hard.

It shows how the wires go inside this manual.

EDIT: In case you can't see it, "this" is a hyperlink.

11. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    i always put a hidden full auto switch on my DMR's. all it takes is one semi-auto lock up to ruin the day.

12. Laserfish

Laserfish New Member

Columbia
    Difference in 3 and 4 wire fets? Thanks for the resources guys.

EDIT: Tutorial on the full auto switch?

EDIT 2: More questions. What does "programming" mean when referring to a MOSFET? And when using the last MOSFET I had, it caught on fire due to low voltage. How can I protect against this one burning out?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  13. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    3 wire requires the main positive (red) to connect to one of the trigger contacts then routed to the motor.

4 wire has 2x 24awg(thin) wires going to both trigger contacts.

full auto switch is a parallel connection to the trigger contacts (bypasses the trigger contacts). hook up 24awg to trigger contacts to any type of push button switch. if you are creative, you can use the forward assist as the full auto trigger (but don't let others use your DMR without warning them about it). i usually mount mine up front in the handguard/RIS.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  14. Laserfish

Laserfish New Member

Columbia
    Thanks much Alex. Do excuse my lack of knowledge. I can build a gearbox just fine but when it comes to anything that has to do with h electricity, I am a caveman.

15. Laserfish

Laserfish New Member

Columbia
    Just an update, if anyone is still listening or has any suggestions. I'm ordering the Extreme Fire Panther MOSFET and the Extreme Fire Panther wire kit. Anything else I'll need?