Elite Force/VFC MP7 AEG Reliability/ Potential Issues

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Happydonuts5, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    I wasn’t looking to buy a new AEG but saw the MP7 AEG in person (the non AEP version) made by VFC. Tempted to buy but heard a handful of people have had issues with them.

Is this worth getting / what has your experience been? I’d like to get a sense for how reliable they are so I know what to expect. I won’t likely be able to field it regularly so it will likely to months at a time without regular use - is this an issue?

2. fred_ditto

fred_ditto Well-Known Member

Des Moines
    I'd go for the GBB version. The "AEG" is just a glorified AEP capable of AEG-like performance, but with basically zero parts compatibility with either AEGs or AEPs. AI have one of the GBBs, and they're great. Everybody I know who has one of the GBBs loves theirs, too.

Happydonuts5 likes this.

3. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    Fred_ditto - thank you for your reply! It seems like the community is split with some folks hands down preferring GBB while others think the VFC is a great electric option.

GBB is amazing but I do also like the idea of saving on gas. May I clarify - is the designation of glorified AEP more because of the lack of compatibility with other AEGs or is it due to some issue with the quality? You acknowledged it has AEG-like performance and the reviews online seem to say the same so I’m guessing that is good or great so long as it’s up and running. However, I’ve heard stories of the hop-up being hit or miss while some folks have had problems with the cutoff feature, but am curious whether these are rareness or if it’s 50/50 chance you’ll buy one with a problem.

4. boombapbattlerap

boombapbattlerap New Member

I think you just need experience with it (no offense), the AEG VFC MP7 preforms as well as my ASG CZ Scorpion. It may not have aftermarket upgrade parts but it's like that for the GBB too and you don't really need to upgrade it since it already shoots very well and outpreforms a lot of stock rifles on the market. I think a lot of people just sort of looked at it when it was new and assumed it would be some kind of LPEG tier aeg when in reality it actually preforms very well.
    IMG_2563.JPG

I can't speak on the GBB model as I don't have experience with it, but from what I've seen it seems to have a lot of issues though maybe they had QC issues early which were ironed out?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    link0 and Happydonuts5 like this.
  5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Take into consideration who made it. It's made by VFC. Which means it will be pretty decent.

Unlike something made by WELL, APS or Evike Rebrand.

They have a reputation to maintain and putting out junk is going to tarnish that reputation. The other companies I listed, don't care...because they know new players are "impulsive"...

Happydonuts5 and -Spitfire- like this.
  6. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    While it's definitely just a beefed up AEP, that's just due to the overall design, not compatibility.
    Complete breakdown of internals:
    -thicc AEP shell
    -QCS spring guide
    -cut down AEG cylinder(23.82ID) and spring
    -Proprietary piston
    -AEG piston head
    -v7 cylinder head
    -23.55mm AEG nozzle
    -proprietary tappet plate
    -standard bevel gear and pinion
    -Proprietary step[x2] and sector gear
    -8mm AEG bearings
    -proprietary motor (not AEG or AEP, reminiscent of a shortened ptw motor)
    -standard AEG barrel(102mm) and bucking
    -Proprietary trigger, wiring harness (microswitch, empty mag cutoff, and mosfet)

So a surprising amount of compatibility with AEGs.
    Its performance is tolerable for a stock gun, but I wouldn't put it on the level of the Scorpion. And the GBB issues were ironed out quite a while back.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  7. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    That’s an awesome picture! So you’ve had no issues with the hop or jamming, etc? Was just hesitant because it’s a novel gearbox design, and it’s an awesome achievement but sometimes with these novel designs there are QC issues. How did you get the flashhider swapped to fit the suppressor?

8. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    Thats a great point. It’s remarkable how they engineered a gearbox to fit in the MP7 too - my main concern was maybe there’s underlying QC issues stemming from the new design. Seeing as it’s VFC it’s easier to trust it but wanted to get everyone’s perspective because I guess by definition it’s unproven.

9. Happydonuts5

Happydonuts5 New Member

Menlo Park
    Thank you for the detailed answer! When you say it’s an AEP not because of compatibility but because of the overall design, are you saying it would be less reliable and prone to breaking, or that given the space restrictions in the MP7 body, the gearbox inherently cannot have as much performance as a more conventional AEG?

10. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Not as powerful as a conventional AEG.

This is the physical factor.

It's all the 6mm ball being pushed through a blow gun that has a "cut down AEG cylinder(23.82ID) and spring"

It's plain and simple physics. You can't get any air pressure for long range with that.

Unlike a real firearm where you can play with powder to mess with ballistics.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  11. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    The VFC MP7 is far closer to a AEG than an AEP in performance and features. I'll take the electric over the Gas version personally, as I only use Gas for pistols.

boombapbattlerap likes this.
  12. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    I say that because it's literally a beefed up AEP gearbox by design... Compare it to a TM MP7 gearbox, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Performance wise the only real issue is the motor... There's more than enough cylinder volume for the stock barrel length, even with heavier BBs. And honestly, even the motor could be modified of you know what you're doing. The main advantage of the design is that it's essentially just the TM design, but bigger... Which translates to stronger springs, gears, and more cylinder volume.

fred_ditto and link0 like this.
  13. Jac259

Jac259 New Member

Oklahoma City
    I love mine. Hop up is good to about 150’ hitting a 12” plate. ROF is great for a stock aeg. Mags are pricy and can jam with heavier bbs (>25) during the break-in period, but improve with time.

It’s not better than the GBB - it’s different. I think GBB is more fun, has (slightly) better range, slower rof, but feels more special to me. The AEG is just easy to use, weighs next to nothing, seems more reliable, needs barely any maintenance, and is super quick

AEG build quality is on par with Vector (externals). Shoots higher FPS and a similar ROF. Vector’s hop up is more consistent. Range is about equal.

Compared to scorpion evo - mp7 has nowhere near the hop up or range.