Entry level M58 Pump Shotgun... BB weight and reuse

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by 67cruiser, Aug 17, 2015.

1. 67cruiser

67cruiser New Member

Cotati
    Typically, I know we don't reuse BBs - however, what about reuse in a shotgun that uses 30 round shells that spit 3 at a time? It's not a precision instrument in the same way my M4 is.

What about using 12g instead of 20g since again, it's more of a spatter gun than a precision gun?

2. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Though I understand your reasoning, keep in mind that Tri-shot shotguns either have 3 barrels that each BB is loaded into OR a single barrel that pushes the BBs out behind each other. In either situation, you should not re-use BBs or use low quality BBs. You still have the potential of scratching and damaging your inner barrel, and replacing the barrel in many tri-shots is not as easy as it is replacing the barrel on your standard AEG.

The other reason .12g BBs are discouraged is because they have a higher tendency of shattering. This includes upon impact as well as inside the gun. Now, I've used .12g BBs in a tri-shot and I've even tried mixing the BB weights to get a greater splatter effect. In the end, I didn't find it to be worth it, plus it was a pain finding decent quality .12g BBs. Your end results may be different from that of my own, but I found it better to use .2 and .25g BBs in a 50/50 mix, rather than going down to .12g BBs. Again, my use was in a CQB environment, where I wasn't trying to pick off targets at 30yards.

But keep in mind, a real steel shot gun for taking down actual persons is not going to have a 2ft wide splatter, like you may see in a reel steel shotgun set up for hunting birds. That 2ft wide hole you see in the movies is just a movie thing.

-mobile device-

3. 67cruiser

67cruiser New Member

Cotati
    That makes sense - thank you