Externals Idiot Looking For Help

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by AirsoftimusPrime, Sep 24, 2012.

1. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    Well, I'm externally retarded, so I'll keep this short as it's probably a really dumb question.

I'm upgrading to the P* platform, and I currently have a G&P m4 ZK CQBR as my host for the parasite that is my polarstar gearbox. I want to swap upper recievers, so what would I get to upgrade to (this is where I get really stupid, I shall make no attempt to hide it) an m16 RIS.

I essentially want a DMR upper reciever. I have the internals handled, but externals is where I'm lost. I would like a RIS m16 upper reciever. It does not need to be high quality, I don't want it super wobbly though. JG is probably fine.

I would like rails of OD and tan on it (being able to swap the two). Again, no $120 DD rail system please, I just want something usable.

I would appreciate a full parts list (bonus points for links) for this, so I can get an idea of what to use.

Thank you to any gearheads that can answer my question :)

Edit: Everything included here is good, but with the 2 RIS systems http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/hulahulaboy/IMAG0524.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. IainS

IainS New Member

Bay Area

3. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Well, I'm looking for the barrel itself. Also looking for colored (and preferably cheaper) RIS systems, not just rail covers of that colour.

Also I didn't mention this earlier- but if something is only found on Evike (IE some rare outer barrel) I'll gladly pay extra or get another product to not use Evike.

4. IainS

IainS New Member

Bay Area
    Ok, so you're looking for a M16 length outer barrel, tan and OD colored RIS systems and would prefer not to order from Evike, is this correct?

5. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Just assume I have an m4 variant lower receiver and gearbox. I need everything I need to finish my gun except internals (IE the upper reciever). But besides for the upper- this is correct.

Welcome to the forums, by the way. You seem like you'll fit in quickly :)

6. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    I'm not on a computer so I can't link you.

Go to ShooterCBgear.com and go check put the Larue Tacticsl rails. They have some 12 inchers in tan, and only run for $40 or so. Then find yourself a 20in single piece AEG outer barrel. Only 2 parts you need. The Larue rails come with the Rail/Barrel Nuts so you're good to go.

And yes the rail will it your G&P.

7. IainS

IainS New Member

Bay Area
    Thanks, the community is great :). I've personally never seen a RIS handguard that's colored in tan or OD (unless you count the DD DE rails which are more bronze). You could purchase a m16 plastic hand guard and then buy some rails that screw into the holes on the bottom. I'll post some links in a separate post, I'm on my iPod :p.

8. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Do they have LaRues in OD?

Thank you very much :)

I will need the upper receiver still, won't I? Or does the handguard come with one? I'm looking to pop out a pin, pull off 1 receiver, put on another, and essentially swap from CQB to DMR. I'll have different sights zeroed in on each one.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  9. IainS

IainS New Member

Bay Area
    Here's the rail he's talking about, sounds like a good fit: http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?products_id=5480 , they're not made in OD though, and like Mystery said you will need a 20" outer barrel with a sight post (if you want one) and a flash hider. A 509mm inner barrel will fit inside the outer barrel fine.

10. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Yeah, already found and bookmarked it. Not made in OD? Oh well, less money for me to spend.

So, I can fit the flash hider inside the rail system? Alright, that works. But still, what about the upper receiver?

Just to make sure we're all speaking the same language here, please refer to my picture link above.

11. IainS

IainS New Member

Bay Area
    Not sure what you mean by fitting the flash hider in the rail system - the handguard is 12", the barrel should be 20" for an M16 so that leaves ~ 8" of barrel uncovered. The flash hider needed will be CW or CCW depending on the threads of the outer barrel. Any Marui compatible upper receiver should fit fine on a G&P lower, if you search "M4 Upper Receiver" on Ehobbyasia you can find a metal M4 upper receiver for 9 bucks (out of stock right now).

12. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Thank you very much :)

Time to begin my quest for an OD rail system :eek:

13. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    Spray paint my friend.

14. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Eww. I'd rather get a plastic rail system. That won't peel as bad. I'm not going to mount anything on them most likely, anyways.

15. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    Good paint, multiple layers of paint, good paint job.
    Won't peel.

16. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Work. My nemesis. We meet again.

17. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    Lies.

Paint will always peel. The quality of paint, quantity of coats, and amount of protection that those coats have will determine how long it will take to wear with standard use.

I want to build an oven to bake on my paint.

18. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Active Member

China Grove
    Kitchen oven works grate lol, I know iv used it for a lot of things besides cooking.

19. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
    I have a G&P M16 upper receiver I can sell you.