Feeding problems off midcaps

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by S1kkguy, Nov 18, 2012.

1. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Hey guys. Basically while experimenting with my mags today I came across an annoying problem. For some reason, my classic army ak midcap magazines won't feed .25s at a mere 20rps. It feeds .2s fine but will skip a BB every other trigger pull on auto with .25s. My CYMA hicap feeds fine regardless of rps or weight so finding it pretty annoying.

So what I'm asking is, anyone know if there is something I can do to make them feed? I'm pretty good with GB internals but never really needed to open up a mag before.

2. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    Problems with feeding:

1. Magazine can't fit right - it's not high enough for the hop-up chamber tube to press the BB catch back far enough, it too far off-center, etc.

2. Magazine tube is too wide - BB get jammed side-by-side in the magazine and don't get pushed up by the spring

3. Magazine spring is too weak.

4. Too much friction is the magazine.

Your issue might be a weak spring, if lighter weight BB can get pushed up. I bet you that's not the case - emptying the magazine allows the spring to regain some 'spring', so taking all .25's out and replacing it with new BB is probably what made the difference. Also, the magazine might have been cleared of dust when you did this. Also, the BB may not be the same diameter...

But, MID-CAPS get weak springs. That's why I stopped using them. I only use standards - 68 rounds, etc. I have had these full for weeks with zero loss of spring energy. STANDARD MAGs are the most durable.

Don't put silicone in the mag. Lots of people suggest this, but they're wrong. Maybe a temporary fix, but think about this - silicone oil on Bio BB. Silicone oil and the dust it collects, including BB dust. Silicone oil globs on your BB as it flies through the air. Silicone oil residue on our hop-up. This is not theory, this is experience talking.

Good non-winding magazines allow you to split them apart and clean them. I used to do this every couple games. I'd stretch the spring out while I was at it.

Cheap non-winding mags are disposable, basically. $5 for one of those is not a bargain in my opinion. Especially with a KWA - I pretty much have terrible luck getting MAG magazines (110 round, etc.) to feed in my KWA.

I love Marui Std., and Classic Army Std. I've used King Arms Std. (metal) but they are clearly lower quality (and half the price).

Consider this - if your mag does not feed, you are essentially 'out of ammo'.
    Pay more for magazines, people.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

3. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    I'm sure it's due to a weak spring. So is stretching it the best way to increase tension then?

4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You can also search up the bb follower mod. You basically use a file or knife to reshape the follower so that the bb's won't sit side by side in the magazine. By the way, my KA AK mags feed .25's at 38rps with no issues, doesn't even need a tappet delayer.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Cheers mate will just open up the mags today and start trying things out. Didn't think I'd have a problem with the mags considering they were classic army and I paid bloody £68 ($108) for a box of 6 plus shipping...B0llox man...

6. FSTK

FSTK Member

I've had this problem with STAR midcaps too. The bb-follower would get stuck in the plastic molding on the sides of the well. I would have to whack the mag a few times to get it to feed again before the problem reappears during fire. It was truly annoying. I know the pain well. This is why I don't run an all-midcap rig anymore.

If you have a file, check to see if the circular seams (or imperfections) along the wall/bb track is free of imperfections. I also learned that it's not good to remove the bb spacer if there exists one. If the spring tension isn't high enough: it leads to jams because the restoring force isn't strong enough to overcome the friction inside the bb well.

Good luck and do report back if you find success. :)

7. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    My 4 newest Marui mags failed to feed when I first used them. Shocking...

However, they are fine now. I'm sure the 'finishing' on the follower and/or magazine sides was poorer than normal, and use has 'filed' the imperfections down.