Filming for Homeland - Options

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by jhawk19, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jhawk19

jhawk19 Member

Naples
    I am an extra in Homeland (Showtime) being filmed in Charlotte, NC.

I am a "Special Operator" on the show and I've been used several times but usually only given a rubber sidearm by the props department.

I spoke to the prop guy and the military advisor and we decided for some of the upcoming scenes that rifles would be needed, specifically tan or desert colored. Since the prop department doesn't want to used tan painted rubber rifles we discussed purchasing a few rifles on our own. The budget is low b/c they are going to buy several.

Options:
    JLS SCAR L - $134
    JG M4 - $134

Sights:
    Holo Replica - $70
    ACOG Replica - $90

Foregrip - Yes/No

They are providing olive drab shemaghs and tan colored (oakley) hard knuckle gloves, black ACU shirts, tan cargo pants, tan plate carriers, etc...

I know the JLS SCAR doesn't have great reviews, but we're not shooting them. We need them to be somewhat accurate when looking at the rifle. Kind of like a wallhanger. No one would notice it isn't real unless they got really close or picked it up.

So what option(s) should I suggest?

2. Courage

Courage New Member

Lexington
    I would say JG m4. JLS Scars are this weird orangey color,I don't think it would look very good on camera.
    Attachment Wise, vary it up for different people. Give some a vanilla m4 with a foregrip, others with PEQ and foregrip, or PEQ and suppressor.

I thought you just lived over at Airsoft Forum :p

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

3. jhawk19

jhawk19 Member

Naples
    OK. So one vote for the M4 - What abt optics, foregrips, peq, suppressor...

4. Courage

Courage New Member

Lexington
    I edited that in. You should mix it up, don't make them all the same, give some a optic (I would say holo) and a foregrip, others a different combo.

5. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    If you're ONLY using it for the money, you can keep it cheap with something in the <$100 range. Typically with extras you're a blink in the background of the screen, so you can be holding a nerf gun, as long as it's painted black it won't be noticed. Check eBay or other cheap places like that. Even a $40 plastic crap-tastic M4 will do fine.

Now if you're a player, I suggest you invest in a gun you're actually going to like and can hold its own the field. With that said, the JG would be a better option

6. jhawk19

jhawk19 Member

Naples
    I won't just be a flash in the background though. I'm with a group of "operators" in several scenes coming up this season. Also, we need tan or mostly tan rifles. A quick spray job won't do.

Hmmm...good point! I'll suggest that.

I think I'll go with the M4 and mix up the optics and foregrips.

The suppressor and PEQ will be a call by the military adviser since he knows more about the "missions" or "ops" being filmed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
  7. jhawk19

jhawk19 Member

Naples
    This is the direction I went. With a $250, reimbursement, this rifle, sight and foregrip put me just over $200. We were told yesterday to get mock suppressors as well, so I have a Madbull Gemtech Halo on the way!! To stay within the $250, I had to find a used suppressor. Some of the other guys are coming out of pocket to get what they want.

Attached Files:

8. Courage

Courage New Member

Lexington
    Thats nice man, looks great.