Firing with a cracked gearbox

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by masterpro72, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

So, I got banned for "Trolling/Stupid". Aparently people on here think it's impossible to fire with a cracked gearbox.......I know I did it before in an M4/M16 series gun. I also went to my local techs to see what they had to say about it and they immediately said "Duh" of course you can fire with a crackd gearbox. So I don't know why being honest should result in being baned.

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would consider it a viable question myself. Yes, you can shoot an AEG with a cracked gearbox if the receiver holds it together somehow. I wouldn't recommend it though, for obvious reasons.

3. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Okay, dude, if you truly think that's possible, and if it is, why didn't you come back with some ammunition for this argument? Such as a video. The word of you're local techs doesn't mean anything to me over the internet, if I lived in your town, different matter, but I don't so you really ought to get a video of it, if you expect serious belief.

4. Nelson

Nelson Review Guru Supporting Member

Spokane
    Now I may not have any ammunition for this, I do have experience through a teammates gun. A while back (5 months) my buddy bought a used tokyo Marui mp7 AEP. Great little gun. Hop up unit was crazy, the shots would go as far as it could and just drop on a dime instead of gradually. Unfortunately when you get a used gun there is consequences.

Anyone who had experience with a micro gearbox should know if they aren't radius'd or have a sorbo with an AoE correction, the front of the GB with explode. This one did. The gun however was shooting just fine on semi auto, which is why we didn't notice at first, but, had major problem shooting full auto. The gun not only shot with a cracked GB, it was shooting with a blown out gearbox. That is because the receiver was able to keep everything packs tightly in it, to where the broken front end didn't move. So it is possible.

Edit: I would like to point out my reference to experience with the micro wasn't directed towards anyone it was just a statement about the nature of the GB.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  5. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Is that enough proof Marines?.......Have you ever actually tested it or are you just making the conclusion Marines? I can''t provide a vid for two reasons: 1-I sold the gun (AS IS) and 2-I spend my money on airsoft not on cameras or smart phones to record stuff with.

6. DadCRO

DadCRO Member

I have an ECHO 1 MP5, and I didn't open the gearbox myself for at least 3 years. When I opened it, I saw that the front end of the GB had cracked. It was being held together by pressure.

It's not good to have a cracked gearbox, but sometimes it will still work.

7. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

I think it maybe possible. Assuming the gearbox staying in one piece and doesn't crack all the way,and shift the internals around. I wouldn't know for sure that's just my guess.

8. DadCRO

DadCRO Member

It can crack all the way, it just needs pressure to hold it together.

9. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Someone want to tell me where I say he's wrong?? I'm saying if you intend to start an argument about something you should have viable information to back it up.

10. Nelson

Nelson Review Guru Supporting Member

Spokane
    That is why I didn't direct my argument towards you, instead I gave some first hand experience, because you didn't say he was wrong.

It would be nice if more people would give some more information like mine to add to the case. If/when my friend gets his gun back (it was being fixed) I'll take some pics and such to add to my post.

11. L5132

L5132 Active Member

Duluth
    It's 100% possible.
    The gearbox in my somewhat well-known as a shitbasket JG SIG 552 was cracked, and I fired thousands of rounds through it with no issues; in fact, I was getting surprisingly good range from that. Albeit it had a very weak spring, but still, it's quite possible.

12. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    I know I was more directing that towards this.

Never made any conclusion.

13. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    Depends on where the crack is. I worked on a buddies TM who was getting some pretty poor range, when I opened it the front window had broken off. It still fired though when it was in the body still had range just not decent range. Now if you have a crack like say the spring guide window you're screwed.

It is completely possible for a cracked GB to work as intended. Most people who bought the first gen ARES M4s should know that by first hand accounts. :p

14. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Marines, I am sorry that I don't have stuff to back it up besides experience. I was making the point because it seems I got banned and everyone told me it was a Lie and "redefining physics". So It seems I got banned for arguing that it is possible. Which it is unfair to be banned for something like that.

15. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Honestly, i think you got banned for the side comments you made in there. You were arguing that G&G gearboxes were good which is obviously not true. Sure, they work when they're cracked, but that crack is going to cause a large amount of stress on the other parts which could cause even more part failures.

I agree that a gearbox can work if cracked, but why would you want to do that? I mean, you run a risk of damaging other parts when that happens. That's all I really have to say on this subject...

16. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Yes you could.....But, You say G&G gearboxs aren't good.....While I've been banned I have been able to put 21k rounds through it without a problem. Do you have any proof to back-up your knowledge of the G&G gearbox?

17. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    I actually argued a bit with the moderator who banned you because I've had a gun that fired with a cracked gearbox. It was a CA M4 that I bought used that had a stupid spring set up (the shop that did the work wound one spring into another so make a stiffer spring, I was livid when I finally opened the thing and saw that) and came with a cracked box. I used it for a few games before I dove into the gun. It shot like normal, though with a lower FPS than it should have given the pressure on the piston. The moderator who banned you wasn't aware that that was possible, however that wasn't why he banned you. You offered up a number of obvious false claims in that thread, one of which was that the crack in the gearbox lowered your ROF to something like 2 rounds per second. A cracked gearbox wouldn't affect ROF. There were others like this as well. He felt that the you were continuing a pattern of posting bad information and gave you a vacation for it.

Masterpro,

That response is exactly the kind of thing that rubs people the wrong way. This thread isn't the place to start yet another G&G is good vs. G&G sucks argument, but you can't help from doing it. Give it a rest.

18. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Not really besides my personal opinion. I can show you how crappy their gearboxes are if devgru98 let's me ruin his internals for the sake of science. Lol.

19. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Archer, you too. Knock it off.

20. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    I figure I shall. There's really no point of continuing this argument as we aren't getting anywhere. It's like it's turning into a flame war like it did the other thread. I'm going to go finish teching this G36 now and continue with my lurking...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.