First airsoft gun

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by ALOTOFMARIJUANA, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ALOTOFMARIJUANA

ALOTOFMARIJUANA New Member

Hey, long time paintballer. Never really got into airsoft for no other reason than I already had a paintball gun. I want to try it out now though, but I don't know much about it at all. First of all I guess I'm going for gas blowback purely because I prefer the sound it makes. I'm looking for either an assault rifle that's not an AK preferably, or maybe an SMG. If range is a factor between those choices I'd go for a rifle. Something under like $550.

About the orange tips.. what do you guys do or use to get rid of them? I live in a place that doesn't require it and I definitely don't want it ;p . Also, is there a way to make these guns any louder? Some kind of attatchment/modification? Anything to make it more realistic. I'm really attracted to airsoft for the realism and the sound the guns make is important to me. I really appreciate any response that helps.

2. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    Welcome to airsoft and welcome to Airsoft Society!

GBB Rifle
    It seems like you have the right sized budget to enter the gas gun market. It's not my speciality so I will let someone else handle specific selection.

Orange Tip
    All the guns I buy have removable flash hiders. I take off the flash hider and then paint it black.

Amplification
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=3730

3. MercyZ

MercyZ New Member

Paintballer here to, gonna try out Airsoft huh? Congratulations, anyways on to the point. For your first gun For an Gas Blowback, i would highly recommend the KWA KMP9, it is $215.99 which would nicely fit your budget. Other brands you could choose from is JG, D-Boys, Umarex, Well, King Arms, AGM, and A&K are good beginner brands. Do you want like an M4 or a MP7? Your gonna have to decide what category you want to go with because theres to many choices.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. MercyZ

MercyZ New Member

Dang it you beat me to it!! :'(

5. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    If you want an AEG (can be a lot easier and cheaper to run for a new player, albeit you go through more BBs), look into a G&P, SOCOM Gear/VFC AR15, and you can get sound amplifiers for AEGs, and I'm told they work fairly well. One issue with GBBRs is that the magazines are usually $50-70 each, and hold around 30 BBs, so it can quickly become very expensive, as well as the high base cost. The sound amplifier will replace any orange tip the gun has, or you can pick up a flash hider separately.

6. MercyZ

MercyZ New Member

Thats what i was gonna say, but his budget is $550. With that amount he can easily afford a GBB and some mags but i does depend on what the price of the GBB is, you just have to know how to use it correctly, But an AEG is a better beginners rifle.

7. ALOTOFMARIJUANA

That's fine about the expensive mags, I'm willing to jump into airsoft because I already know I like it, I have tried it a few times. Main reason is there's a place by me that's open on weekdays so that's awesome. I go paintballing 3 times a week and I want to go more but I can't because there's weekend only places around me.

So I'm looking for something that will last me a long time and I'm willing to spend the money to a reasonable extent. The more metal the better! I want something durable. As far as m4 or mp7 type, I'd want something more like an m4. Also I prefer regular mags over 200 round ones.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  8. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    Cool, you'd probably like a GBB then. I've actually heard WE recommended for GBBs due to an almost 1:1 compatibility with RS parts, (Not firsthand information mind you) so they can be rather realistic, however the stock parts are typical WE: Not all that good.

9. ALOTOFMARIJUANA

10. Mel

Mel New Member

Marietta
    You could buy a classic airsoft gun since you already have the gear to run it. You only need to hook up a HPA tank. A few companies that made HPA-powered guns were JAC, Asahi, and Kokusai.

11. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    Eh, I wouldn't recommend a classic for most people (including myself). They're pretty damned expensive, and they don't fill enough of the OP's realism requirements.

12. schlabie

schlabie New Member

Anyone notice his name???? Lolol

13. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Just sayin, for someone new to the sport I would not recommend purchasing a GBBR as your first rifle. For the money you would spend on one, you can get a very nice AEG that will not have near the failure rate that GBBRs have.

14. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    Put a big mock suppressor on it then you have a reason it's quieter than the real deal. There are some things to put on the barrel which are supposed to make it a little louder, but it's the gearbox/motor on the AEG that makes the sound, so not really. At least not that I know of.

15. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Full cylinder, short barrel, and heavy bbs will result in a loud pop from the end of the barrel.

In a gas gun, simply using heavier bbs can do this, as they already have an almost unlimited amount of air.

You will need to be careful about Joule creep in both cases though.

16. MercyZ

MercyZ New Member

Are you sure you want a GBBR? Because an AEG for your budget will do just as well, and you don't have to spend extra money on gas.

17. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    Though coming from Paintball, maybe the pneumatics make more sense to the OP than electronics?

I chose AEG for the reliability and because they perform better in cold weather. As for the mags, you want 'Mid Caps' as they typically hold like 70-130 rounds (note you always want to put less than the max capacity in them to keep them working well). Or 'Low Caps' which are closer to real steel round capacities. Which sounds cool, but then you realize it takes a lot of rounds to hit the far off targets due to wind and whatver. I like Mid Caps because they have enough to compensate for the accuracy issues, but low enough that you still get to do reloads (which is fun). The 'High Caps' hold a lot and you have to wind them up after you fire some rounds. That takes away the realism for me. Plus the bbs are loose in the hopper, so you hear them shaking around.

18. Lil_Shady

GBBRs and paintball guns operate on different systems, very few similarities.

19. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    Agreed, but a knowledge base of pneumatics from paintball would be helpful with a GBB, especially if the OP doesnt have a lot of experience with the electronics/battery side of AEGs.

I run RC vehicles and my knowledge base from that has been very helpful with understanding my AEG.

20. Lil_Shady

Perhaps, but AEG basics are easy to learn. The failure rate in AEGs is much lower, and with his budget he could get a very nice G&P and still have enough money left over to get some nice gear or a GBB side arm.