First airsoft sniper rifle?? Upgrades??

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by JakeTheDog, Oct 9, 2013.

1. JakeTheDog

JakeTheDog New Member

Hey guys I just joined this site in hopes of meeting many new people and learning a bit more about airsoft :D

Now I have an AEG already and though its fun, I never liked running and gunning and I always liked the aspect of the sniper camping.

I have been looking around at guns lately and I have found a few. Keep in mind I am in time wanting to invest into the gun and get top notch performance from it

These are the guns ive found that I may be interested in as of now
    -UTG L96 http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=2119
    -JG Bar-10 http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=2493
    -A&K SVD http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=5963
    -Craigslist airsoft gi upgraded l96 http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=7962
    Heres the Craigslist ad as well http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/spo/4040209838.html

Right now I am currently leaning towards the one I found on CL, It is the airsoft gi upgraded l96 and he is selling it for 90$

The only thing that is holding me back from it is I don't know if the upgrades that ASGI put in it are actually decent ones, or if they would need to be changed out in the end anyways. If I was to get this gun the upgrades that I then would look into would be a zero trigger and (hop up mech?) I don't know much about sniper hop ups...

I am looking for any advice on what to do with buying and getting into sniping!! And upgrades that I would need would be much apreciated!

As I am new to this site, I don't know if I am allowed to post links.. If anyone could let me know that would be awesome as then I could post the links to all the guns which may help you out in finding out what would be my best bet...

Please post and let me know as much as you can :D

Thank you!!

Cheers, Jake.

P.S. Sorry for any grammar errors.. Dyslexia probs.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    Links are fine, post away.

As far as your four choices, your going in the right direction. All those rifles are upgradeable, and most use popular upgrade platforms such as VSR (Bar-10) and APS2 (UTG L96 and possibly the GI L96... A link to that one would be great). The A&K SVD is also upgradeable, but uses specific parts.

The most popular upgrade platforms in the airsoft sniper world are the APS2 and VSR platforms. Both great systems, but the VSR comes stock with a 45 degree trigger Mech/piston, which if your running stronger springs you may encounter slam fireing (basically means the sear gets worn to the point were it no longer catches on the piston). This is an easy fix, you can either upgrade to a new steel 45 degree sear or upgrade to a 90 degree trigger unit. However if you choose an APS2 platform you no longer have to worry about that as it comes stock with a 90 degree trigger/piston.

Anyway, post those links. Sounds like your off to a solid start. As far as money goes though, how much do you have to work with (for both the gun and upgrades)?

3. JakeTheDog

JakeTheDog New Member

Thanks for the reply and I'm glad that I'm on the right track haha. As for money wise I have about 100-150 for the gun and then i have around 300 for upgrades as of now. I'll be selling my old snowboard and drum kit so I will be able to buy more parts after that.

Yeah the 45* sear is one of the reasons I was staying away from the VSR but it wouldn't really matter if I can change that with upgrades..

Thanks for the help man, I posted some links :D

4. TRex

TRex New Member

Atlanta
    Remember that a vsr10 is typically lighter than an l96 variant.

5. JakeTheDog

JakeTheDog New Member

I did not know that, how much of a difference is the weight?

6. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    Alright. Looking at the GI L96 now...

Did some quick researching, and in my opinion... It's not really worth it. Sure its $90... But Airsoft GI's "upgrades" aren't that much better then the stock parts.

In my opinion the best way to get into the role is to buy your base rifle, then upgrade it yourself with better quality parts (PDI, Laylax, etc.). Not only can you yourself guarantee the quality of the parts your putting inside of it, but you can also learn how the rifle works and where each part goes.

So with that, I'd say find a good base rifle, such as the UTG L96 (APS2 compatible), BAR-10 (VSR compatible) or my personal favorite, the Classic Army M24 (most parts are APS2 compatible, but everything about this rifle is solid... Finding one might be a challenge though.).

While your at it, check out a thread I made awhile back. It should help you in your decisions.

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f88/so-you-want-sniper-65842/

7. JakeTheDog

JakeTheDog New Member

Just read through your article and it was very through thank you! Alright thats kind of what i thought, but I wasn't sure.. If that is the case though do you think it would still be worth it in the sense that I get the UTG l96 base + scope and 1000 .3 bb's for only $90? then i would be able to do upgrades such as a zero trigger, hop up, new TBB? maybe? Since the ASGI one is a 6.01? and then after I completed that I would upgrade the piston and spring and whatnot? I'm just wondering because then I would have some semi upgrades in the rifle so it would still be playable in the state as I keep upgrading it.

If you don't think this would be a good idea though ill stay away from it ill take a look into the other two rifles you said as well :D

Edit: I also just found this bar-10 http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/FS-JG-BAR-10-KSC-TMP-C-t276224.html

8. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    The rifles price is pretty good, but looking over the classified add you see that its on its second owner, and the fact that the seller won't do refunds kinda sketches me out. That said, its really up to you. From some research I've found out that the piston and spring guide are cheap... not plastic, but still not the best thing out there. The sears are upgraded in the rifle but the trigger box is still plastic so if that isn't already messed up it probably won't be long until it is.

Your call. I myself would let it pass though. That Bar-10 you linked sounds decent (minus the double feeding issue)... Angel Custom parts are nowhere near top notch, but they're better then stock. You might be able to find an even better deal if your not in a rush.

9. JakeTheDog

JakeTheDog New Member

Yeah I'm defiantly not in a rush at all, I just have no idea whats good in an airsoft sniper and what isn't, besides like the zero triggers and ect. I know nothing about the hop up upgrades or bolt mechs ect.

Yeah that was a few of the things that I was weary about when i saw the gun as well

The only reason I'm looking at used guns is because I think it could save me a bit of money if it has some slight upgrades in it, and its usually just a bit more expensive than buying a new basic gun before upgrades

10. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    I'd say buying used is a great idea. You can get some outstanding deals if you know where to look.

11. JakeTheDog

JakeTheDog New Member

If you ever see anything pop up would you link me? :D thats what im leaning more towards right now is the used market

12. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    Sure thing. I'll keep an eye open.

13. JakeTheDog

JakeTheDog New Member

sweet thank you man! thanks for helping so much too

Edit: Any other ideas from people? :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013