First custom build (I need help)

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by jimjoe, May 14, 2018.

1. jimjoe

jimjoe New Member

Chandler
    Hello I have been wanting to do a high speed for a while and I have opened up plenty of gearboxes but I'm having concerns about what to do. I want to rebuild my G&G GR4 G26 I was going to put highspeed internals in it, however, I was concerned about the stock G&G gearbox cracking. So I went to evike to see if I could find a gearbox and I found one that seems like it would fit and it has what I need, and I have also created a parts list tell me what you think thanks.
    Matrix Lipoly Ready 8mm Complete Gearbox Set for M4 / M16 series Airsoft AEG (Tornado Speed) - Wiring to the Front:https://www.evike.com/products/30251/
    Burst Wizard King Kong Super 2 MOSFET:https://www.evike.com/products/49578/
    Matrix Magnum High Torque Performance Airsoft AEG Motor: https://www.evike.com/products/29144/

2. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Well-Known Member

Bull Shoals
    That gearbox is overpriced and not that good. The motor is decent(very strong magnets, 16tpa?), I would get a different mosfet. How many rounds per second do you want?

-Spitfire- likes this.

3. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Martinsburg
    ^^^This.

First question... what is your target FPS/RPS?

4. jimjoe

jimjoe New Member

Chandler
    I"m probably going to put an m90 spring in it and I'm looking for about 30-40 rps

5. cetane

cetane Active Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    For that rps, you’re gonna need more than a m90. You’re better off looking at something like a m120 with 3, maybe 4 teeth short stroked off the sector to not get pme.

40rps on a m90 will not return the piston in time to prevent the gear from picking up the piston before its stroke is completed (pme)

-Spitfire- likes this.
  6. Sitting_Duck

Sitting_Duck Active Member

I'd re-do it as rear wired instead of front wired but that is just me
    battery space is limited in buffer tube unless you buy new stock

barrel length is about 260mm - so Short Stroke a few teeth on m120
    or maybe possible DSG option perhaps just about on 8t dsg than 9t dsg
    (might scrape by with 8t dsg with a m150 to get aprox 300fps on 250/260 barrel)

but yeah, blowback or pbb boxes are not wise to push

tricky one, do you re-do it all or just sell as is and start again
    what I mean you could pick another gun to beef up
    than end up buying stuff and having a spare pbb box to sell

-Spitfire- likes this.
  7. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member

Minneapolis
    Why do you need an AEG to shoot that fast at such a low FPS?

Buy wanting that high or a RPS and that low of a FPS means you still have a bit of learning you need to do.

I suggest you try and hit 25rps at that FPS reliably before you step up to 40rps at that fps.

8. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    I don't see anything wrong with that... Personally I like the 50 watt rule. @Lefse

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  9. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have been summoned. :D

I agree with the others, attempting anything above 30 RPS with your current skills and experience (judging from your choice of parts) will not be a rewarding experience. Guges has a good point, start by reaching 25 RPS at a reasonable muzzle velocity, you may need a slightly stronger spring and short stroke even at 25 RPS, but going higher at such moderate ROF isn't really a problem.

I do have a self-imposed 50 watt limit to keep myself from building something that'll potentially ruin the day for others on the field. The highest I've gone was nearly 70 watts with a bonkers RPK build doing 32 RPS at 2.1 joules. I dismantled that setup, it was impractically over powered. Even a 50 watt limit is really high, most stock AEG's do around 30 watts. For clarification, 1 joule at 50 RPS equals 50 watts.

-Spitfire-, link0 and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  10. jimjoe

jimjoe New Member

Chandler
    I mostly play indoors and just want a high-speed build to mess around with see I see how the m90 wouldn't work does anyone know good drop in dsg gear box or a full gun with a dsg for like $200-$300 because thats my buget here

11. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    OC Airsoft on Youtube sells DSG gearboxes.

12. jimjoe

jimjoe New Member

Chandler
    Yeah those are nice but with shipping and everything it comes to like $400

13. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's a good price for a properly built DSG gearbox, the gear set alone is around $100. I would probably charge more to build a DSG gun.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  14. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  15. link0

link0 Active Member

San Jose
    G&G also has a cheap DSG Sector Gear + Piston combo. Cuts down the price a bit. Wouldn't trust the durability though.

16. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    Interesting. Likely a better option than the Modify dsg lol, But I'd probably go with the SHS dsg instead. Odd that it's a dsg/piston combo, and not a dsg/tappet combo...

Oh, and added a link to it in your quote.

Edit: looking at the reviews, it seems like there may be a spacer inside the piston... interesting approach, if that's the case.

Last edited: May 15, 2018 at 8:47 PM
  17. BOA_SP3CT3R

Bull Shoals
    Except that IIRC the G&G DSG's have no cutoff cams so they're different than the patented Siegetek DSG's. I'd just build a low stress ~25 rps setup first though.

18. -Spitfire-

Martinsburg
    How the heck is that supposed to work? Also, source?

19. BOA_SP3CT3R

Bull Shoals
    Full auto only, yes it's lame. @Sitting_Duck

Sitting_Duck likes this.
  20. jimjoe

jimjoe New Member

Chandler
    So would there be a way to disable the blow back on the G&G blowback gear box or should I buy a new gearbox? also would you recomend the shs 13:1 gears for high speed?