FIRST DMR BUILD : Need final thoughts before purchase.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Alex Sourakakone, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Alex Sourakakone

Alex Sourakakone New Member

Utica
    First off, thank you for taking your time to read this and trying to help, this is my first time posting through the forum as well as building a DMR.

I've provided a parts list and as much specifications as I can, I really would appreciate any type of advice or opinions. Keep in mind, this is a somewhat budget build.

Excuse my noobness as well, I've taken apart m4s before, my base gun as well multiple times so I am familiar with putting it together but I'm sorry for my pleb terminology and ignorance.

My base gun is the Apex R5 Battlemod 14 AEG

*Info from Evike [I tried to put only relevant points]

Inline MOSFET protects trigger contacts

One piece metal rotary adjustable hopup unit

Reinforced metal gearbox with quick change main spring system and radiused cylinder cuts

Pre-installed 6.03mm tightbore inner barrel

9mm bearing bushings and high torque steel bearings

Length: 845mm / 940mm, Adjustable
    Weight: ~2660g
    Inner Barrel: ~400mm
    Muzzle Velocity: 390~430 FPS
    Gearbox: Ver 2 Full Metal, Fully Upgradeable
    Motor: High Torque Long Type

I got this AEG through a mystery box, I was not going to originally build a DMR but after research I completely changed my mind. I did as much research as I could and after hours of trying to plan and budget I came up with this parts list.

Lonex Aluminum One Piece Metal Hopup
    https://www.evike.com/products/35846/

Maple Leaf AST Macaron Bucking -70°
    https://www.evike.com/products/42460/

RA- Tech Maple Leaf Precision Spacer
    https://www.evike.com/products/53142/
    (Which is the nub... right?)

Angel Custom G2 SUS304 6.01 Inner Barrel 510mm
    (Hollow extended suppressor being purchased to compensate extra barrel length)
    https://www.evike.com/products/40455/

I'll be running an 11.1V lipo 25c
    And .28 bbs

I plan on making this purchase soon, I've also considered an M130 or M140 spring since I do already have a high torque motor. I would appreciate any help and advice, thank you so much!

Update - June 27th, 2018 - Stock internals
    Gun:
    20180627_110107.jpg

Stock hop-up
    20180627_110641.jpg

Lower Reciever
    20180627_110756.jpg

Air seal nozzle (I think)
    20180627_110807.jpg

Stock motor by Classic Army
    20180627_111644.jpg

Also marked by Classic Army?
    20180627_110728.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    link0 and Peeque like this.
  2. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    Nice hopup chamber, but the stock one should be fine if you shim the arm.
    No, it's the bucking. Very good choice.
    Good nub, works very well with that bucking.
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money get a ZCi barrel. Various barrels in order from best to worst:
    EdGI
    PDI
    Prometheus, Madbull stainless steel
    ZCi
    Stock cyma, Krytac, etc
    Angel Custom, Madbull aluminum
    Poorer quality stock barrels
    Stock Tokyo Marui would be fairly high on that list, not quite sure where.
    How many mAh is the lipo?
    What brand BB's? For a DMR at least .32-.36g BB's should be used.
    What motor?

Alex Sourakakone, JHat and Peeque like this.

3. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    Skip the Lonex Hopup. It's likely a DOWNGRADE from your stock one, which should be very good.

Don't get any inner barrels longer than 420mm, EVEN with a full type-0 cylinder (which you may or may not have).

Check to see if you have a full cylinder. If you don't, change to a full cylinder.

Alex Sourakakone and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  4. Overwatch97

Overwatch97 Active Member

I would avoid the Angel Custom barrels. You get a lot less than what you pay for them.

5. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
    I updated the post with internal photos.
    So yes on nub and bucking?

Unfortunately I literally cannot find any 6.01mm barrels around the 400mm-500mm between Evike, Gi, AMS, and Brills. Any recommendations?

The motor is a classic army high torque motor.

What do you reccomend for BB brands for .30+?

6. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
    I updated my OP with photos, is that a full cylinder? I'm sorry I'm not too familiar with the cylinder aspect also as I put in another reply I cant find any inner barrels! Help pls!

7. AirsoftRyan778

AirsoftRyan778 Active Member

Baltimore
    6.01 barrels are mostly only good for CQB or for increasing fps. (Most) of the top snipers/techs agree that 6.05-6.08 is the ideal bore for a DMR. Even PDI now markets their 6.08 barrels as their best option for accuracy.

I bought an angel custom barrel for my first sniper back when I was a n00b, and it was definitely lower quality than even ZCI barrels, which are normally half the price. Depending on your budget you should choose from the barrels that BOA_SPECTER mentioned.

8. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    Your stock cylinder is a 4/5 type ported cylinder. Change to a full cylinder (meaning no ports), IF you want to use a long inner barrel. Or you can use your stock cylinder if you keep the barrel length under 400mm and you don't plan on using BBs heavier than 0.3g.

Your stock hop up chamber looks to be very nice. Keep it.

Your stock motor is not very strong, so do upgrade it. I suggest a Classic Army Extreme Torque motor, which I use in 3 of my guns, or a ZCI or SHS high torque motor.

And yes, as the others have said, the best barrel bore size is 6.03 to 6.08mm. Anything tighter just gets clogged up more and has zero real benefit.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Alex Sourakakone likes this.
  9. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
    Thank you for the info!
    Now I'm assuming there is no black and white answer to which is the "best"? I'm guessing there's too many variables with other parts, but is there anything you can reccomend? Lower sizing like a 6.03 or bigger one like 6.08? I know this is a controversial topic but I'd love your opinion.

I'm going to probably get an SHS high torque and I want to run .30s+

10. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
    Thanks for the info!
    So keeping the stock cylinder, and ~400mm inner barrel, what do you personally reccomend for the size? Lower like a 6.03 or higher like a 6.08? I will be going with the SHS high torque.

11. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
    Side question -

The only reason I wanted a longer barrel was because I was a suppressor that's 120mm, but I've read it the suppressor is too long that the bbs might hop into the suppressor and hit the walls. Does anyone else have this problem or is 120mm not long enough to make a difference?

Also... M130... or M140

12. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    Bore size doesn't really matter, only quality matters. Edgi > PDI > Prometheus > ZCI > other steel barrels > brass barrels > alum

13. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
    Thank you! Any recommendations on a spring or will it not even make that much of a difference?

14. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
  15. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
  16. Overwatch97

Overwatch97 Active Member

Trust me. You really want to invest in a chronograph if you don’t have one already. What spring you desire should almost solely depend on the limits of the fields/events you want to attend.

17. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    ZCI springs are great and economical (I believe the guys at Umbrella Armory really like them). What's your field's FPS limit. You obviously want to be close, but under that limit.

18. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
    Thank you I will probably invest in one soon!

19. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
    400 is my fields limit

20. Alex Sourakakone

Utica
    Like I said in original post, this is my first time posting to this forum and I'm shocked on how fast you guys reply.
    Thank you all for your help by the way, and for being patient with my stupid questions I really do appreciate it guys!
    I think one of my problems is I'm trying to combine being budget friendly and building the best gun I can with one purchase not realizing most master pieces require a lot of trial and error.