First Ever Build - MP5 DMR.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by DSCAllDay, Aug 30, 2012.

1. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    I'm going to start off with a big thank you to Minerva who helped build this list, planetarian for help explaining electrical stuff both in this thread and in PM, Blake for his all around knowledge, wetsuitxninja (Ben from No Limit Airsoft and Paintball) for getting me a good deal on some parts, EDI1st for his guidance in the early portions of this build and others on ASC, ASF, and ASM to help nitpick, give me my list, and help edit the list a tad.

I am looking for the best possible parts on a high end budget. If you could help me out with the questions I have and give me advice on which parts to use, I would greatly appreciate it.

This will by my thread for my MP5 DMR Build, I will be documenting the build from start to end.

Base Gun:
    G&G/Umarex MP5A4

Internals

Lonex A2 Infinite Torque Motor: 55
    Lonex D Air Nozzle: 7
    Lonex 1/4 Port Upgraded Cylinder: 14
    Lonex POM Piston Head w/o Bearings: 14
    Lonex Double O-Ring Cylinder Head: 13
    RiotSC 10:44 Revolution + Gears: 120
    Modify Ceramic Ball Bearings 8mm: 30
    Modify Torus Reinforced Gearbox Shell: 65
    ARS Hayabusa Thrust Bearing Spring Guide: 20
    Prometheus MS135 Non-Linear Spring: 20
    Prometheus 6.03 363mm EG Barrel: 60
    Prometheus Soft Hop-Up Bucking: 18
    HunterSeekerArmory Barrel Lockdown Kit: 10
    HunterSeekerArmory 2-ER Hops: 17
    HunterSeekerArmory 2-EM Nubs: 14
    Lonex Blue 10 Steel Teeth Piston:
    Extreme-Fire: Cheetah 2N! Mosfet: 100

14 AWG PTFE Wiring
    Deans Ultra Connectors
    Custom 14.8v 35c LiPo Battery

Mods (Done by experienced Tech):
    70d Sorbo
    Correct AoE
    Shim Job
    Polishing
    Radiusing

Externals

Real Steel Fleming's Firearms HK to AR Adapter: 115
    Real Steel Magpul PRS:
    Real Steel DMPS A2 Buffer Tube: 15
    Real Steel Troy MP5 BattleRail:
    Real Steel VLTOR Mod Pod
    Real Steel Accushot Adjustable Precision Monopod
    Real Steel Trijicon ACOG TA31A
    Real Steel LaRue Tactical 1 O'Clock Offset Mount
    Real Steel Aimpoint T-1
    Real Steel Troy Aluminum Modular Foregrip
    Real Steel Gear Sector Aluminum Handstop

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Is this gonna be semi only? Because you'll get an insane ROF with that motor+gear+battery combo, the ROF will be 60+ RPS in full auto, just FYI. The trigger response in semi will be like a gas rifle though. This is an interesting build, something different than the 5 million M14 DMR's. You'll probably be okay with high quality 8mm bearing, but I would go with solid steel bushings myself, one less thing to worry about. I've heard bad things about the teeth rack caving in on the SHS 14 teeth piston, but I haven't tried SHS pistons myself, so I can't really confirm or disprove this. The SHS 15 teeth piston is said to be one of the strongest pistons around.

3. richman992

richman992 New Member

Rochester
  4. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    Are you sure? Even with a 14.whatever lipo he is using I'm not sure that's possible with a single sector gear

5. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Looks like a pretty solid list.
    - Drop the X-Mod 14 tooth and get the standard SHS 15 tooth instead. The 14 Tooth is less reinforced.
    - 8mm Modify Bushings instead of the Bearings, just for reliability's sake.
    - 14 AWG PTFE coated wire instead of 16 AWG.

6. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Sure it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yKXOaFtKQk#ws
    No, that is not a DSG.

Edit: Can we no longer embed Youtube videos?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. Lefse

I'm getting 32rps with my Lonex A2 pulling an M120 spring on 16:1 gears with an 11.1v li-po, just do the math. I didn't say it would work, I just stated that the motor will pull the piston at roughly 60rps, the Lonex A2 is a very strong motor you know. The motor doesn't care if the piston will survive or not.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    You must post pictures when you are done, I would like to see this.

9. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    @Green Listerine: Yep, all that good stuff is going to be done :p Reshim, AoE correct, sorbo, polishing and radiusing.

@Nortech: Its going to be Full Burst Safe. Is trigger response like a GBB good? And OK, I will probably consider 15 tooth ss'd 1.

@richman: I actually had the idea sometime in June. I was going to blog about it. Search it up on WordPress.

@Batman: I was thinking 45-5x rps.

@SilentVectorX: Ty, I will probably change the parts you indicated as many people are suggesting the same. What's the diff between 14 AWG PTFE and 16 AWG?

@IHOP: Epic.

10. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    why do you call it a DMR build?

11. Lefse

If you're going for 45-50 rps, then an 11.1v li-po should be enough really. When I say trigger response like a gas rifle I mean that the trigger respone will be instantaneous. AWG indicates the wire thickness. Most stock guns have 18AWG or 16AWG wiring, so 14 AWG will be significantly thicker, you may struggle to fit 14AWG wiring in an MP5 though, even PTFE insulated.

12. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    @Alex: Well it could be considered as a DMR. I could always do semi only when I need to.

@NorTech: Thanks for the advice and knowledge. I'll try to fit it in.

13. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    From what I've heard, the generally accepted status of DMR is only achieved with the combination of the following: an FPS greater than 450, semi-automatic only, and being capable of hitting targets at least 220' away.

14. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    Ahh OK. Thanks. But I don't have any doubts that this gun could do that.

15. Lefse

By that definition this build can easily qualify as a DMR if you tune it well. By that definition all my AEG's would be considered DMR's if I simply put in an M130 spring and disabled the full-auto.

16. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    That's just what I consider to be the bare minimum for qualifying as a DMR.

17. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    in our field, any AEG over 400 fps must be locked on semi-auto and are classified as either DMR's or bolt action sniper rifles. maximum allowed is 550 fps. with select fire capability, that AEG will not pass tech inspection.

18. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    @Alex: With the mosfet, I could enable semi only. Your field doesn't allow that?

19. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    I live just north of A|ex, in SC, and our rules are similar to those of GA. We allow using a mosfet to cut off full auto, and to my knowledge, most places allow this.

But I do have to agree, that this is a field build, not a DMR build. Call it what you will, but this isn't a DMR build as long as you plan on using full auto.

I would guess about 50rps with the 10:1s on a 14.8v. If you really want to do that. Be warned, this is a very high pressure set up that you're going after, you're calling this your first ever build, are you sure you know what you're getting into?