First Gun, What's Style Got To Do With It?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Groovy Alex, May 9, 2018.

1. Groovy Alex

Groovy Alex New Member

Montreal
    Hello all!

Very happy to be a newcomer to a wonderful community.

I have long played airsoft as a kid, doing small skirmishes in friends' backyards, and I have occasionally paintballed in outdoor field games.

I'm looking to get into airsoft, and was looking to spend around 300-350 dollars on a new gun, to ensure longevity...

My personal playstyle has me usually situated either on the frontline (Rifleman) or somewhere a little behind the frontline (DMR?)

I would like a weapon that allows me the versatility to have an adjustable stock (Maybe even a folding one?) that also has a long barrel. In essence, I want the long barrel for DMR, but have the possibility to get rid of the stock length to make up for the long barrel in CQC maneuvering.

What sort of gun should I get? Is my price range good? Where can i learn more about all the important parts of a gun? Gearboxes, batteries, etc..

Thank you all!
    Alex

2. Honeybadgerz17

Honeybadgerz17 Well-Known Member

Bellevue
    Barrel length is not suuuuper important when it comes to range in airsoft. It's more about bb weight and the hop up really. Good guns in that price range are the vfc Avalons, krytacs. Now make sure to look around the for sale section, there are some good deals there too.

Now for learning about gearboxes, just search the forums and jump on YouTube. The airsofttech is a good place. Learned a lot from him!

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.

3. Groovy Alex

Groovy Alex New Member

Montreal
  4. Honeybadgerz17

Bellevue
  5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    A price of $350.00 will not always put you in a good gun price range. Durability is highly subjective to the maker/brand.

A 350 Lancer Tactical Product is not as good as say a 350.00 VFC product.

6. Groovy Alex

Groovy Alex New Member

Montreal
    I understand and I appreciate the point you are making, however this is exactly at the heart of what I was hoping to learn. How should I go about making a well-informed decision about the durability of whatever gun ends up being in this price range? I would value your expertise in telling me what I should be on the lookout for in this price range to get the best bang for my buck.

Thank you
    Alex

7. Overwatch97

Overwatch97 Active Member

On the AK side of things, LCT and E&L are also very good if you want some solid Russian steel.

8. Groovy Alex

Groovy Alex New Member

Montreal
    Thank you for the brand suggestions!

What may be some things I should be on the lookout for in terms of internal parts of the weapon, how do I go about comparing different guns for sale? (While being aware of the different tactical situations the differences may call for)

Thanks again!

9. Honeybadgerz17

Bellevue
    I know some websites have a compare function on the site that you can see the specs of two weapon side by side, I wouldn't be too worried about internal parts of the gun yet just get into the sport see if you like it before you try to upgrade your guns

10. Honeybadgerz17

Bellevue
    As we all know on here the second you open that gearbox you sink more of your money and time everyday then you would had you not

BOA_SP3CT3R and Overwatch97 like this.
  11. Groovy Alex

Groovy Alex New Member

Montreal
    This is VERY useful info, thank you

I see a lot of mention on here about upgrades, and you're saying i should go for a gun which I just leave closed and dont mess with

In this case I need a durable gear box I can leave closed and not worry about, that's good to know.. Thank you!

12. Overwatch97

Yea, and you can also get yourself into some deep doo-doo if you open it up and aren’t too confident in what you are doing as a beginner.

A gun in that price range should still usually perform pretty good stock.

13. Honeybadgerz17

Bellevue
    Any of the prementioned brands of guns can do that for you, most of not all of those guns are competitive

14. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    For your first gun, I'd get a LCT AK or Krytac m4 for around the $300 mark. Or a Cyma steel AK or G&G m4 for something under $200.

Lancer tactical Gen 2 M4 is probably the best value at the low end of $100.

And honestly, they will all perform around the same out of the box (you won't be at a noticeable disadvantage with a cheapo lancer tactical against someone's Krytac). The more expensive guns definitely look nicer on the outside and are more likely (but not always) to last longer.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  15. Groovy Alex

Groovy Alex New Member

Montreal
    But then why go with one over the other? I'm so overwhelmed by the options that I would like some guidelines on which I can base my choice

Thank you link0, how would you compare krytac m4s to say VFC avalon or something?

What is your thought process when comparing them?

16. Honeybadgerz17

Bellevue
    Vfc avalon's are very close in performance to krytacs. Personally I'd choose the vfc for the looks. Really its if you want an m4 or ak, then performance, finally looks

17. Overwatch97

Version 3 gearboxes like what would be found in an AK or a G36 typically are very durable and won’t break down quickly. Although I wouldn’t recommend it, you could probably leave it closed for years without problems (as in the gun will at least shoot something out of the barrel).

18. Honeybadgerz17

Bellevue
    To add v2's and 2.5's are in m4s

Overwatch97 likes this.
  19. Overwatch97

Generally AKs are more durable inside and out, while the M4 has many more tactical options in terms of attachments and the mags are much easier to store and quicker to reload. The magazines are really the biggest drawback with any AK platform gun.

20. Honeybadgerz17

Bellevue
    Darn 7.62 making everything harder