First High-Grade AEG: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by SubSnake, Mar 27, 2010.

1. SubSnake

SubSnake New Member

I've been into Airsoft for a while now, but have always used Walmart, ****'s, Academy, etc.. I'm just now getting into the "real deal" when it comes to Airsoft Products, and I'm practically brand new to the Forums as well- So bear with me.:eek:

After a good deal of research, I finally decided on a King Arms Galil SAR. I have to admit I was attracted more by the cosmetic look, but I am under the impression that it's actually a good performing gun as well. The reviews seem to point out only good features- I have seen very few Cons, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I ordered it off of Airsoftgi.com along with a three-bag set of .20 KSC Perfect BB's, all of which seem to be highly-rated.

What's your opinion on my decision? Did I make the right choice? How would you change or would have changed my first High-End AEG purchase? I'd love to hear your total honesty on the matter, preferably the Cons of either product that you've experienced.

Thanks Guys, :)
    -SubSnake

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood Active Member

King Arms are a great brand and I doubt you will be disappointed. I don't know about that particular AEG but I have had experience with some of their other products and they have always been top notch when it comes to build quality etc.

Depending on the FPS (if it's above say 320-350) I would consider using .25g BBs. Might be worth buying a bag & seeing which you prefer.

3. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    I'm not a big fan of that particular gun, but Kings Arms is a reputable company, very few problems. The fire select on this model always confuses me though. If I'm thinking correctly the normal AK-style select is just for show, it has a more traditional select switch.

But overall a good gun. electric blowback and all the bells and whistles. I actually look forward to your review of it in a few weeks to a month.

4. M715ForLife

M715ForLife New Member

Exeter, NH
    When you get it, can you see if it can take AK mags? I remember that the pre-production one could.

5. hairyman

hairyman New Member Supporting Member

Dublin
    Plastic AK 47 and nearly all ak 74 mags can be modified to fit the Galil in a matter of seconds just by filing down the receiver tab on the front of the mag.

Its a glorious replica with nice crisp blowback,,,the selector above the pistol grip does move but serves no purpose which means that its the usual AK method of fire selection,,,,it also has what are in my opinion the best iron sights on any airsoft replica,,,,,we want an in depth review of this when you get it,,,:D

But please be aware that when you do get it there may be a good chance that i will indeed read your review and instantly ban you out of raging jealousy,,,:D:D,,,it will be a crime of passion as i have wanted one of these for a long long long long long long long time but they are a whopping 450 euro over here,,,,that is $670,,:(

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. echo1 vmg-74

echo1 vmg-74 Active Member

Richmond
    I think you made a great decision ... A very nice looking King Arms gun

7. SubSnake

SubSnake New Member

Hairyman is spot on- Everything there matches what I've been able to scrap from the seemingly scattered discussions. I must agree with you on the fact that it's pricey.. But I'm hoping it's worth it. And I'm glad you've got good things to say about it, but I have to admit I'm a little afraid to do that review now.. ;)

And to Robin-Hood, I'll definitely try out some .25's. From what I'm aware of, the SAR averages about a 316, but that was with .20 BB's, and on someone else's review.

The order is supposed to get here on next Wednesday, so expect me to start working on a review by at least Thursday, after I've had enough time admiring it. :D
    Thanks for your time guys- I hope to keep this thread going for a while, and hopefully get out some good info on the SAR.
    -SubSnake

8. SubSnake

SubSnake New Member

Silencers?

Just for starters, does anyone know if any silencers will fit the Galil? I’m pretty sure it’s got a 14mm Counter Clockwise/ Negative thread. Does this mean parts with these specs will fit?

KA advertised accessories for the gun when it first came out, like scope mounts, but we have yet to see anything out. Thanks.

9. hairyman

Dublin
    If you look at the picture in the link below you will see a large notch above the magwell,,,on the real steel that's where the scope mount locks in

http://www.crossfire-ag.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/ka-galil-sar.jpg

Now if you look at the pic in the link below(its the real steel) then you will notice the exact same notch,,,this leads me to believe that a RS scope mount could be used.

http://www.akstories.com/Galil SAR.jpg

So you may in fact get away with using the mount that's just over halve way down in the link below,,,but id research it first.

http://216.23.170.198/LeapersScopeMounts/M1CarbineMini14.asp

As for the 14mm CCW,,,yep she will take most after market mock silencers.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  10. SubSnake

SubSnake New Member

Thanks Hairyman.

The package came today and I was ecstatic, that is, until I opened the box. Not only was one of the BB sets torn open, which really was a minor annoyance, but ASGI had shipped me the wrong gun.

I've got the KA Galil MAR boxed up next to me, and I'm trying to work returns now. I guess they can't be perfect over there, but the 3 day processing and now this, I'm starting to worry about making purchases from ASGI.

Expect the review postponed.. And some more information as this plays out. Sigh. :/

11. hairyman

Dublin
    Its funny you should say that,,,i actually prefer the look of the MAR,,,,,it has a lovely hand guard,,,,you could always lengthen the inner barrel through a mock silencer,,,,,best looking CQB replica on the market bar none.

12. SubSnake

SubSnake New Member

I agree with you that the MAR looks solid, and could very easily be a great CQB weapon, but when you include the price difference of the two, I'm being cheated about 80$ if I keep it. I'd rather get what I paid for instead of worrying about having to change a MAR cosmetically to fit my needs. The SAR was perfect out of the box, so I'm going to stick with it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great gun. Just not for me.

13. hairyman

Dublin
    Well at the end of the day its not what you ordered and from what i have heard ASGI are an honourable company to deal with so you should be fine with regards trading it for what you ordered.

14. SubSnake

SubSnake New Member

I called and Josh had the whole thing worked out in less than 20 minutes. Although the experience may have been sub-par up to the actual delivery, I have to give ASGI props for their phenomenal customer service. I was treated with utmost respect, and my gun is guaranteed here by this Friday.

Which is awesome. :D

15. hairyman

Dublin
    Thats great mate,,,,,now be sure to give us an in depth review with plenty of pics,,,,,im always happy to see somebody moving in a different direction to the hordes of M4's,,,,im incredibly jealous of you.

will you be sticking to the standard Galil mags are going for an AK 74 mag mod.

16. SubSnake

SubSnake New Member

I'm going to stick with KA mags for now, but expect to see me play around with some filing tools on other AK mags too. I want to try alot of things on this one, and I'm already looking into the scope mount you posted earlier.

There's a good bit of company information on the Galil, but user reviews and personal experiences and scarce and hard to find. I'm hoping to lay the first review from an average Airsoft player's perspective, with everybody's questions in mind.. Including mod, magazine, and accessory availability. It's going to be cool to try different products on it.

17. hairyman

Dublin
    Yea it seems to be a fairly unpopular platform in the airsoft world and i honestly don't know why,,,i love them but wont be buying the KA version any time soon although the Cyma version could be a possibility,,,,,im very interested to see if the real steel scope mount is compatible.

18. SubSnake

SubSnake New Member

The gun is here and I'm anxious to begin reviewing it. The battery has not arrived so I cannot play with it yet, but it should show up by tomorrow.

Quick Question- When I first unboxed the Galil, I noticed the bolt wasn't fully closed. I made sure there were no obstructions, and found that the bolt actually rests midway down the lever, like it was fitted wrong. The KA Galil bolt is said to have a strange habit of not fully resting between rare shots, as it lacks a breaking system or whatnot. I'm hoping that during test fire at ASGI, it just caught midway and will slide normal once power is through it over here. Could I be wrong?

I'm also going to be using a 9.6V 1400mAh Tenergy AK Stick Battery. Any opinions on that? I know this is a lot. :/

Thanks.

19. hairyman

Dublin
    The bolt problem is inherent with any mechanical blowback variant,,,,,the bolt is connected to the piston and without resetting the piston(releasing spring tension) with a couple of shots on semi then the piston will hold the bolt back,,,its nothing whatsoever to worry about.

As for the battery,,,,,this is a King Arms replica,,it wont even break a sweat on the 9.6v.

20. SubSnake

SubSnake New Member

I feel like I've abandoned this discussion.. I want to aplogize for not having anything useful posted by now.. Too many complications.

The battery came, I charged it to max, took it to the gun, and what do you know, it's too big. I'm talking width, not length.. The actual battery was too wide to fit in the metal piece that connects the gas tube to the body. Like an idiot, I tried forcing it in and only ended up stripping the plastic coating off of the battery. The battery segments are loose, and the wires at the top are now flimsy. This is going to need a retry.

I'm looking at batteries right now. While we're here, I'm wondering if you've got ANY suggestions.. If the next battery doesn't fit I'll be forced to dremel that piece wider or something. I'm looking for power and speed, but I don't want anything that will stress the Galil.. I need something comfortable in between that 8 to 12V range.

Thanks again.. Remember I'm working hard to get this review out.
    -SubSnake