First upgrade

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by PnutButtaToast, Nov 29, 2012.

1. PnutButtaToast

PnutButtaToast New Member

South Bend
    I have been looking all over for a good cqc gun and I saw this on sale for $100 and I just could not say no:
    http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_217_497&products_id=30825

I read that the base gun is pretty good and upgradeable. I want high rps, good range (better then is necessary for cqc), and of course there is no point in these without accuracy.

Since this is my first ever upgrade I want to start slow and easy. I'll start with shimming and possibly AoE.

Where I get lost, and hopefully you awesome Techs can help me out, is picking out things such as motors, gears, springs, MOSFETs, and any other parts that I have left out. I have read through a few of these upgrade help threads and when I try to look for parts myself I get overwhelmed by all the choices and manufacturers. So please when you suggest a part please link me it.

I went ahead and tried to find some of the parts. Tell me what you guys think.

spring
    http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=31454

spring guide
    http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=35850

gears
    http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=32916

motor
    http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=25608

MOSFET
    http://www.hhairsoft.com/Products/Custom_MOSFET_Units/HH-02.html

wire
    ?

I really appreciate your help and I will be sure to keep you all updated every step. :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    Spring:No matrix sucks

Spring guide:no bad brand

gears:No again matrix sucks

motor:No lonex is better

mosfet:No it's active breaking (puts stress on the gearbox)

Order from clandestineairsoft.com

And get some shs and lonex parts!

3. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

If you've never opened a gearbox before, start with that. Trust me, it's exciting just to be able to take it apart and (if you can) put it back together again. If you can just open it, clean it, and put it back together, you will have gained a ton of experience. After you do that, then you can try AOE and upgrading.

4. PnutButtaToast

South Bend
    I planned on taking it apart, putting back together, and repeating before shimming. I have watched several videos on how to get the gear box out and apart and only 1 part really looks annoying but I guess I won't know until I do it for myself. I figure after that switching out everything but the motor and rewiring would be easy.

Please don't just go through my list and say no, no, no. Please suggest something helpful and link me to it. Did I get the right kind of spring, gears, motor, or spring guide?

5. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    All the parts you linked are not that great if they're matrix. Go look through Clandestineairsoft.com to find some decent parts. Hivemindairsoft.com is great too. For high ROF, low ratio gears are your best bet (13:1 ratio). I suggest doing a 30 RPS build first with durability in mind first before you attempt anything higher.

6. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

Actually, I heard a rumor that Matrix gears were just rebranded SHS. Whether it's true, I don't know.

7. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    I suggest the A1 motor, and lonex 13:1 gears for a better trigger response, but same ROF

Also, you are lucky, P90s are supposedly the easiest guns to work on.

8. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    Mind linking me to lonex 13:1 gears?

9. PnutButtaToast

South Bend
  10. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    They only make 16:1 as low speed don't they?

End result though OP, avoid SHS gearsets for the time being. They are having some QC issues.

Edit: yea, I screwed up. They only make them in 16:1.

11. PnutButtaToast

South Bend
    So the Lonex 16:1 speed gears won't help my rof? Is there another good brand if I can't use Lonex or SHS?

12. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    CORE and ZCI are both good. CORE has been proven to be good and can be purchased from SPAZZ on the classifieds of AirsoftMechanics.com. ZCI is being tested right now, so they are iffy.

13. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Exactly what ROF are you aiming for? A Lonex A1+13:1 ratio gears+M100=destroyed piston by the way. And get a li-po battery, using ni-mh batteries in 2012 is just silly. You don't seem to have nearly enough experience to do a high speed build. I agree with the others, learn how to do basic maintenance and tune-up first.

14. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    I guess Maek| was having issues with the CORE bevels. I can't remember if he posted about it on ASM or Facebook, but it's around somewhere.

15. PnutButtaToast

South Bend
    I know I don't have the experience. If I did I would not have started this thread. Right now I'm working on a list of parts to get after I get comfortable with the gear box and maintenance.
    I did not know that the spring+motor+gears would destroy the piston. What piston should I get to prevent this?

16. Lefse

The spring strength is determined by what ROF and power you want. If you're gonna go past 40rps with a single sector gear, you'll need a M120 spring minimum with short stroking, an M130 if you wanna be on the safe side. The thing with a high ROF build is that if something fails in the gearbox, it really fails. The higher the ROF, the more cycles the gearbox will do before you can react and let go of the trigger.

17. mpanary_fako

mpanary_fako Member

Nashville
    I was the one who broke the CORE bevel, Maek| replaced his after he saw what happened to mine :)

To answer OP, well, the only bad parts that need immediate replacement (if you want that 30 rps) are the nozzle, the motor, and the bushings. Get that Lonex A1 and a nice 11.1v lipo (1600 mAh is the highest you can fit in the battery compartment btw) and that should put you close to 30 rps. The stock piston is will hold up fine at 400fps/30rps, make sure you correct AoE though.
    And yes, V6 gearboxes are a feast to work on :)

18. Lefse

19. Blades

Blades New Member

When you do open your V6 and perform the upgrades could you possibly take a video of it? I'm in the same boat as you are; I've got an E1 P90 that could use some speed upgrades.