Fixing G&P M4

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Urbanprodigy, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Okay I know I always ask stuff for my friends but I'm just trying to get to know tech work pretty well so I can, well fix guns.

So my friend has a G&P M4 and he went to Play today at an event. But a part of the way through his gun broke and he came home. It has a loud clicking noise every time you pull the trigger. There is a little bit of motor activity but not much. I have tried to unlock the gearbox but that was not it and of corse I tried motor height. The battery was fully charged. Does anybody know what that might be? The trigger also has some resistance right before the click. If you need more information I'll help as much as I can but I don't have the Gun right with me so my knowledge of what is happening is just based on what I just tried. Thanks for any help.

2. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Well I can tell you it was a particularly hot day (to the point where multiple guns were overheating). There was something wrong with the motor but that was able to be fixed on the field. At the end of the third round your friend went to clear out his barrel and the gun didn't shoot. Said friend thought it overheated and got a ride home with another unfortunate individual who's gun also overheated. Then your friend went to test out a new mag at home and the gun didn't shoot. After looking at the motor your friend decided to call you for help. And now we are here. Lol :p

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

3. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Said friend is you? Lol yeah but johns 2 guns were the multiple guns.

4. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Yea, you beat me to my own troubles lol.

But a couple other random kids gun overheated as well. There was around 5 overheated when I left. And im sure there were plenty more.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  5. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Yeah anyway does anybody know what the problem can be?

6. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    Well start off with the basics. Make sure motor height is set properly, then try a stronger battery.

However, that isn't going to solve what I believe to be your issue based on your explanation.

AEG's don't "overheat". The motors keep turning until they fry. Which is what I believe your problem is.

It isn't uncommon to fry your motor on a poorly tuned rifle, especially the stock G&P m120 motor. I've managed to fry 2 of them so far when paired with AB FETs.

Swap motors and see what happens.

7. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

I'll try that but I don't believe the motor is the problem. The reason I believe this is because the motor spins when it is not set into its place. Just before urbanprodigy came to my house I had lifted the motor out if it's place so that it could spin freely, Which it did.

8. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

We tried motor height. I believe I said that. But Remo I'll let you check my motor when your home again.

9. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

How much are motors, preferably a decent one, should that be the problem. But putting ourselves into another situation, what if I put in urban's motor and my gun still doesn't work. Could this just be a locked gearbox, or something worse?

10. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    A fried motor will still spin under no load (unless there's catastrophic failure). It just has next to no torque after being fried, thus it can not cycle the GB.

11. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    It could be anything from a fried motor, to a broken gear, and then anything else random that is hard to imagine.

But the cheapest decent motors run for about $30. If I were you, I'd grab a Lonex A1 Balanced for $50. If you want to save some money, I'd go with an Element HT for $30.

12. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Motors can run between $30-$90. $30ish for an SHS, $50ish for a Lonex, TX is somewhere around $70ish?

What happened to G&P being the best thing since polished BBs?

13. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

No guns perfect, and thanks if it's the motor I'll probably go with the Lonex

14. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    G&P's are lovely guns. Beautiful externals, but internals can always be improved.

Piston and PHead can be replaced.
    Gears can be replaced.
    Motor is pathetic.

All else is alright for mild builds.

15. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Exactly. That's my point since everyone here seems to have a G&P fetish.

16. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    Yeah, but it really is the same for every other company. There isn't a simple brand that I would run stock.

And the basic G&P M4 is $250, so it's not a bad deal.

17. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Okay So today I took out the motor and hooked it up outside the gun so that it would still run. What happened was that it spun what appeared ti be normally on full. But on semi the trigger clicks (with or without the motor in) and the motor either doesn't turn or turn little. I really have no idea what is happening here. Any ideas?

18. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Alright in bringing this thread back. The clicking noise is not from shiming, motor height, or any of that stuff. The clicking is on the trigger and there is also resistance when you pull the trigger. So I thought this was just a problem in the trigger assembly and nothing else. Can anybody else verify that

19. Col1500

Col1500 Member

Kent
    Sounds like something got bent in the trigger assembly really bad, or maybe a contact even broke off and is interfering with the trigger pull. But yes, it seems to me it's just the trigger assembly.

20. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

I'm brining this thread back up. I've opened up part of the gun (lost my Allen keys so can't finish) and found a detail not added. The gun only clicks when on semi, on Full the trigger doesn't stick and is not heavy on full. Is there a reason for this. I'd also like to add that it does this without the motor and batteries so it is a gearbox related problem.