Forum Interested People

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by Hyperslow556, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Hyperslow556

Hyperslow556 Active Member

PDX
    I've been telling people to join for a while now, but have seen little to no growth in traffic. Today, over at another website, a user contacted me and told me they have been trying to create an account for close to a year. Told me that either the account does not get approved, or sits in limbo for six months before allowed to use email again to try and make account again, only to not receive an email for confirmation of account creation.

When I try to log into this account on my PC, the password I use on my phone will not log into my account on the PC. When I request a PW reset, no link shows up in my email to reset this accounts PW.

What's happening to this site?

redmoon3580 likes this.
  2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    One of the Admins need to be more active.

3. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

This was basically exactly how the fall of ASM forum started. Email services went down, admins stopped caring to fix it, then someone stopped paying the hosting fee. Hopefully they fix the issue here soon.

4. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    Well if it is truly the start of the down fall, time to start copying and pasting ALL the good info. Rip computer memory.

5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    I asked if I could be an admin for approving new members in a "secret" room.

Sadly...no responses.

6. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Member

Hamilton
    I had a fair bit of trouble signing up... took 2 rather pressing emails to get a response. I just hope this doesn't turn into another Airsoft Forum.

7. Wingman703

Wingman703 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Atlanta
    Everyone, I'm going to say this exactly like it is, zero sugar coatings.

I am the only Moderator active. I have limited powers that, in a nutshell, allow me to clean up spam, remove bad threads, and take care of troublesome users.
    ASAdmin is rarely active. This is the account that was, at one point, run by Austin. Austin is long gone, and ASAdmin is our only form of contact for whoever owns/runs the site.
    Shady is the only active Admin. What the extent of his powers are, I do not know, however I have never heard of accounts needing to be "approved". This sounds like a site/server issue to me.
    There are a handful of other Moderators, but most are active only once every few months, if at all. I generally try to check in here every day to take care of reported items and keep tabs on things, but I am sometimes out of town for days at a time and cannot always be here.

I do not know what the issue with new users being approved is. I will PM ASAdmin and cross my fingers I get a response. Guges, I would not expect a reply in your secret room thread, however you can *try* the moderator forum, as that *might* gardener more attention from someone that can do something, but don't get your hopes up. I attempted to get Admin status more then a year ago when I realized the amount of active mods/admins was lower then the number of fingers on one hand and ASAdmin was unable to help for reasons that were not completely clear.

Yes, it is that bleak. The rise of Faceballs has hit many forums hard, not just airsoft forums, although we may have been hit hardest, what with the move to Faceballs, then the ban of anything gun/airsoft related from the platform.

E/ I stand slightly corrected, MJM also seems to have been online recently, but hasn't posted in almost a year.
    The only Admins on this platform are:
    ASAdmin(last active Dec 9th, 2020
    Shady(last active Dec 10th, 2020)
    Shooter(last active June 1st, 2020)
    Aside from that, there are 5 mods, myself included. One of those 5 has not been active in two years, one has not been active in 8 months, and the rest of us have been varying levels of active within the last 3 months.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  8. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

I don't remember the signup process to be out of the ordinary, but that was a couple of years ago. This reason is why I post all of my findings on my own website before copying it to other places, there is no guarantee of longevity anywhere else.

Wingman, your work is appreciated even though most of it goes unnoticed by most.

You mean storage, memory is not used for nonvolatile databases

9. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Hey all.

Sorry for the drag in getting users approved. I try to get to it at least once a week but sadly life does get in the way sometimes. As far as I'm aware I'm the only active admin with the permissions to approve new accounts. Unfortunately I'm also working very long hours in my restaurant job as well as having a pregnant girlfriend which both demand a lot of my time. I'll go through now and try to get a good chunk of those accounts approved.

The reason new accounts must go through approval is because of a rash of spam attacks, so now new accounts are on approval to hopefully filter that out. Sadly I don't know how to change that, or if I even can. It may be something that only ASAdmin can do.

10. Wingman703

Wingman703 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Atlanta
    Interesting. Did not know we had move to manually approving new users. Sounds like doing heart surgery with a sledgehammer if I'll be honest...

Hesterminator and Chow like this.
  11. Shady

Indeed. It's exceedingly tedious.

12. cbrianroll

cbrianroll New Member

olympia
    I just got approved, and am very grateful as I am a noob with noob kids. totally get that it takes time sometimes, other forums I could only respond to "x" amount of posts before posting my own, but that was noted and I knew what to expect.

Chow likes this.
  13. Shady

Got through about half the queue just now, but need to get some sleep for an opening shift tomorrow. Will jump on after work tomorrow night and clear out the rest. If you have any friends waiting to be approved tell them it will be done tomorrow evening.

wetpee, JHat, Hyperslow556 and 3 others like this.
  14. Shady

We are now all caught up on new user registrations.

Splode, wetpee, JHat and 5 others like this.
  15. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    Well, I’m going to try to copy somethings just in case the worse happens in the future.

JHat and Hesterminator like this.
  16. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

I think the most lost knowledge was back when photobucket cut off free embedded photos which ruined most old guides, then hpa exploded in popularity and people stopped caring about high performance aegs mostly as it was just easier to do a hpa build. Then Facebook stole most the traffic and asm forum died taking dozens of guides with it. Most that stuff was outdated but some of those guides were gold mines of info. There used to be a guide of magazine feed rates and motor tpa lists. A couple mechanical hair trigger guides, a dsg guide, lapping guide and more was also lost. I think my hair trigger guide is the last standing one out there unfortunately. Even that one I have on multiple forums.

However Facebook, and YouTube are becoming more anti-gun and with the world drifting to be more liberal your likely to see airsoft drift into the shadows one day, which means forums may come back a little. This younger generation is very impatient and isn't willing to look through a forum to learn. They just want to be spoon fed on YouTube or to post a question on Facebook for quick responses.

JHat likes this.
  17. 1tonne

1tonne Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    We definitely need more admins here. Before things do go down the drain.
    I too will start copying some of the threads.

To be on the safe side, if I make a thread that may be of value, I post it on here but I also post it on the Airsoft Sniper Forums.

aotsukisho likes this.
  18. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Member

Hamilton
    Don't drag me into this political debate. You don't want to hear my "offensive" diehard conservative arguments.
    Anyway, the account registration thing is a good idea, but not if we have only 3-4 active (or semi-active) administrators. Life has a thing for getting in the way of things that need doing. Is there any way we can assign more administrators?

Deus_Vult5687 likes this.
  19. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

...I was just trying to say the world is becoming more anti gun which hurts our sport overall... oops...

Back on topic, why are accounts manually accepted? Is that just to prevent a bot wave from just walking in?

Splode likes this.
  20. Shady

I will look into my permissions a little more and see if I can assign more, that may be something only the site owner can do.

That's exactly what it is. A couple years ago we had a massive attack, they were creating accounts faster than we could ban them, and posting hundreds of threads, or even commenting in existing threads. Enough messages that we couldn't just use our spam cleaner to automatically delete them all.