fps/range

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by bal1, Dec 16, 2012.

1. bal1

bal1 New Member

Hello all, I'm getting 355 on a 100 spring in my cxp, but I'm not getting decent range. I'd like to get better range without using a higher spring, I have a tbb 6.03 that goes about halfway through my six inch suppressor. Besides that and an upgraded motor, that's the only upgrades I've done internally. How could I get better range/fps without upgrading the spring?

2. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Looking at your post count I would have thought you'd have come by more than enough threads covering this sort of topic? I see one popping up almost everyday.

Anyways, look up r-hops. If it seems too complicated or difficult, then just get yourself a Lonex, Systema or a Prommy hop packing aka bucking. Once your above a certain FPS, it pretty much looses any correlation with range. Adequate air seal and a good hop unit with the appropriate bucking - for your fps and rps - will better determine your effective range.

3. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    Read the sticky about achieving perfect compression, tackets hop up guide, robins rhop guide and you can get higher fps with a ball bearing spring guide because the ball bearings act as spacers. Polishing the piston rails can also get you a few more fps.

4. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    I think nobody is mentioning a very simple solution. If he wants more range, he should just throw in a flat-hop.

5. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    How's your compression? With good compression you can throw BBs quite far with a mere decent hop-up assembly.

6. CoppertopNeasg

Boston
    That's what Tackets hop up guide is.

7. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    No it's not, it's an outdated SCS guide. A flat hop uses a flat nub, it makes a world of difference in performance, and is not the same as using a hard nub. Perhaps it's time I wrote something a bit more up to date.

I think you guys are missing something even simpler. OP, tried using heavier bbs?

8. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    Lets start with the simple things

- Clean your barrel
    - Make sure stock hop-up is working correctly
    - Use heavier BB's
    - Quality BB's (no crossman junk)

Upgrades you can do to improve range

- R-hop
    - Flat-hop
    - Make sure you have a good air seal (compression)
    - Quality TBB , Just because it's a 6.03 doesn't mean it's good...
    - Better hop-up / bucking

Lastly how far is the gun shooting now & what do you want it to be at ?
    Not getting "decent" range is a very general statement. Use actuall distances so we are all on the same page.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  9. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you ever lube your barrel and/or hop-up bucking, then that will have a massively negative effect on range and accuracy. It's true what they say about BB weight, I would use .25g minimum in that gun. Combined with a high quality soft bucking you should get 200ish feet effective range with a traditional hop-up.

10. bal1

bal1 New Member

I typically use .2s or .25s.

11. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Do you notice a difference with how they fire. You should be using at least .25s in a field rifle.

12. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    This. Best accuracy upgrades are the simplest.

13. CoppertopNeasg

Boston
    I agree about the updated guide.