From a newb: why are high end guns really that much better?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by fradd, Jul 21, 2012.

1. fradd

fradd New Member

Yeah, I don't really know if I'm an actual "newb", because I've been...associating...with airsoft for about 4 years.

But, I've still been to too poor to buy a gun besides my JG G36C and an Umarex "Tactical Force Combat" (G17) blowback pistol, which I lost. And a spring shotgun.

Anyways, why are high end guns that cost more than $250 or so worth so much more? I've heard just as many stories of a high-end gun failing/breaking as I've heard of an MPEG failing/breaking...as well as stories of high-end guns being terrible or broken out of the box, and stories of MPEGs lasting for 2 years.

What makes those expensive guns so much better?

2. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero Active Member

To be honest its all about the externals besides the KWA.

VFC and everything high end up there are just more reliable stock and the externals are more durable. JG's plastic is a bit worse and its not as reliable. Its why if people are going to upgrade people usually buy a JG. If your not then a KWA is the way to go.

That and i believe most of the higher end guns have trades that people want.

3. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    They're better internally and externally stock, and they last longer. With MPEGs, you'd have to upgrade them quite a bit to get them on-par with HPEGs. Consider this, would you rather have a Tokyo Marui with a metal body kit, or a JG that has been upgraded to perform on-par?

4. Napple

Napple New Member

Higher quality material
    More hand made parts
    Less mass produced parts
    More reliability
    Better performance
    Less hiccups

But due to the nature of airsoft there can always be a hiccup in even the highest quality gun.

I had a jg m4 which is a great beginners gun. Eventually i retired it and let it sit in my closet. Im now up to $400-500 guns and thought id take out my old jg.
    What really annoyed me was the slow trigger response because i was so used to instant results.
    But on the jg, rof and range lacked compared to my high end stuff.
    In the end you get what you pay for.

5. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    The upgraded JG, please.

How often do you see an airsoft replica with an abundance of hand made parts that isn't custom?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  6. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    Except you're forgetting the fact that you could still upgrade them.

7. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    It's like anything when it comes to cost. I'll use toilet paper for example because I'm feeling silly.

Cheap toilet paper:
    -cheap
    -works
    -rips when you wipe
    -like used sandpaper
    -smaller amount of sheets/sheets are smaller

Expensive/brand TP:
    -nice and cushion-y
    -full dependable sheets
    -cost more
    -It doesn't mean that it can't break, but it is stronger than the cheaper stuff, you can feel it.

MPEGs, do I have anything against em'? No but higher end AEGs usually have:

-better quality metals and plastics
    -more unique in variety of gun models
    -always have extra gimmicks
    -preform better, don't get me wrong on this one, a JG is a decent gun, but the RoF in comparison to a G&P ZK is substantially less. That being said, the JG could be upgraded to be on par for around the same price, though probably without the metal quality.

There are always lemons in airsoft or in anything. If it is solid, you can break it. I've never had the ratio of high end AEGs breaking more or equal to MPEGs but maybe you have.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  8. Napple

Napple New Member

To Jelly,
    Yes, but essentially HPEGS are upgraded MPEGS are they not? All an upgrade is is replacing something with sonething better. Therefore buying HPEGS is, in a way, buying a proffesionally made upgraded gun

9. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    But there is always the pride you feel when you upgrade a gun yourself. All to one's self, I suppose.

oh, and you still haven't given us an example of a low quality ICS gun.

10. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Not really. An upgraded MPEG could easily out perform a stock "HPEG" depending on the upgrades and the field of performance you are talking about. You see this all the time with people upgrading JGs and the like to awesome levels of performance that won't be reaced out of the factory even from the most high quality brands. But, high quality is subjective.

11. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    Here is what I have gathered from my personal experiences and the reason why I don't buy clones.
    High end guns like Classic Army just stand up better to the wear and tear than guns experience while playing airsoft. My gun goes where I go. Into the swamp, into the dirt, into the rain. After all is said and done, high-end guns are manufactured with better parts which allow them to last longer and be more resilient to tough handling. Buy right the first time and you won't have to buy again.

12. FSTK

FSTK Member

depends on the crowd.

newbs buy it because they think that premium companies like CA, VFC, G&G, KWA, G&P, Ares/Magpul means quality internals and quality externals.

vets buy it because they want the external quality with a good base to which to upgrade. Of course: vets also see certain companies like JG are good base guns as well when one doesn't care for external quality. In which case: save yourself in $250+ external tax and apply that directly to internal upgrades.

13. fradd

fradd New Member

What I got out of this:

-High-end guns have better quality externals and internals than MPEGs
    -High-end guns will last longer and have more durability than MPEGs
    -It's very possible to upgrade an MPEG to have just as good performance as a high-end gun

But, what I'm thinking about mainly is accuracy, because durability and stuff like that isn't very important to me, because stuff I own usually lasts longer than everybody says it will.

So will a high-end gun have much greater accuracy, range, and consistency than an MPEG, even if the MPEG has over 100 more FPS (because TMs and other high-end guns have comparatively low FPS)?

14. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    What people fail to realize is you can make a JG perform better than a VFC for $50. Stock VFC wins...

On to your question. $10 and a half hour and the JG will be just as accurate or more with a simple bucking swap and flat hop.

15. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Well as long as you treat a JG with proper care the externals will be fine, but if you run a few a good many bbs through it with no shimming,AoE,grease that kind of thing something is bound to break. Strip a piston,gear,wear out trigger contacts ect.

16. fradd

fradd New Member

This is mainly because I wanted to know if I should sell my JG G36C (somebody offered 120 bucks) and buy another gun under 160 dollars, or if I should wait a few months to get a gun above 250 dollars.

17. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Well for under 160$ you can't really get much better than JG I would advise saving for higher end .

18. NOMAD666

NOMAD666 New Member

bikini bottom
    High end guns are made with the best things. I dont know much but, For example a WE pistol is made with pot metal well a KWA is high grade aluminum......airsoft is also overpriced

19. RCV

RCV New Member

I have come to the point where I don't even want the stuff I own to be a lower brand or low end. I just want some really nice stuff that I can count on to always work and come together nicely. I love it when things go together properly and work w/o modification. I'm not even into higher brands just because "they have better internals and the externals are stronger". I just enjoy having a nice gun that is made with techs in mind. Externals are the biggest thing for me. If they are solid and nice as can be, it's a keeper. I really don't care if the internals are just ok because chances are, ok will easily get things done for a stock build. Many of you fail to realize that pretty much all guns coming out on the market today are very very good compared to when they all got their stereotypes from. All brands have made major improvements to the point where they are all fairly decent internally. Externals, ironically, is what makes or breaks a gun at this point. Also, with high quality externals, you tend to find great QC on the internals which will last you, if stock guns are your cup of tea. I personally, upgrading all my guns off the bat, really appreciate a gun that comes together perfectly and is made with techs in mind. Brands that have the customer in mind, rather than their profit, will always get my business. VFC and CA have knocked that part out of the park for me. It is amazing when a gearbox comes together without any stubborn anti reversal latches, tappet plates, triggers, or springs. My CA and VFC m4s are extremely good at that, wherein every JG gearbox is always too tight (copying the KWA no shim design, which is good for a stock gun but bad when it comes to being actually good), or having stubborn triggers or arls. It is also very satisfying when the gearbox, rail systems, stocks, etc all just come together without any problems.

I'm just done with dealing with cheap stuff. Too much frustration and money wasted by the time you become advanced in the hobby. I wish I would have had my $1000+ back I spent on the lower end ACM brands and not as high end gear, batteries, accessories, etc. I wish I would have just spent that all $$ on high quality stuff off the bat instead of trying to make half of my money back selling the crap I bought because it was cheap at the time, only trying to afford the good stuff I could have bought in the first place. Also, high end stuff holds its value 9001x better than the low end.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  20. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have owned 3 HPEG's and 3 MPEG's so far, a CA AUG A2, a TM MP5K and a G&G AK-104. The MPEG's are a Cyma AK-47, a JG AUG A2 and a KS P90. The Cyma is something in between though, mediocre externals, but surprisingly good internals, but overall the HPEG's were better. The external quality is superior, and everything just works more smoothly on a high end gun. The KS P90 actually had pretty good internals, except for the hop-up and nozzle. The hop-up unit needed extensive modifications to be satisfactory, and the nozzle is the worst I've ever seen.

The two AUG's is a very good example. I bought the JG as a boneyard gun to strip for parts as AUG's have poor aftermarket support. The JG AUG had strong gears and piston and a fairly decent hop-up unit, but it had a really weird GB shell, nylon bushings, and the externals were simply disgusting compared to the CA. The CA have a much better surface finish, and all the Steyr trademarks and safety and charging handle and such operate alot more smoothly. High end guns aren't just better out of the box, they are also better upgrade platforms, because they will have more accurately cast GB shells, better hop-up units and so on. The total cost is higher with a high end gun, but the end result is simply better overall. JG and Cyma guns are great budget guns though and will give you very good value for your money.