Frost: A MilSim Platform

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by iunruh, Jul 23, 2012.

1. iunruh

iunruh New Member

Manhattan
    Hey everyone. I'm Ian and I wanted to come here and get feedback on my project I've been working on for awhile. It's in its very early stages but a lot of the design has been finalized.

It's called Frost, and it's a platform for conducting military simulations in airsoft matches. It basically takes a plain old airsoft match and turns it into a full-blown networked battlefield. Simply download an app to your iPhone or Android and join the simulation.

Out of the box, you get encrypted, high-quality voice communications, instant messaging, the ability to receive objectives from unit and team leaders, the ability to request support, a map that displays the positions of your fellow teammates and any enemies that have been spotted, and intelligence reports from analysts and field units.

I want to put this technology into the hands of every airsofter out there. I want this system to not only make field units more effective, but to increase fun, competition and participation in airsoft matches. To do that, I need your help to figure out how to make this system as efficient and easy to use as possible.

To see more details, visit the main website at http://frostmsp.com/ and to suggest ideas, visit the feedback page at https://frostmsp.uservoice.com/

I look forward to your ideas! Thanks for your interest

Ian Unruh
    Frost Technologies

2. soviet

soviet Active Member

Woah, that's epic. I will download that app if it ever comes out. Great idea.

3. CAPdeucesWild

CAPdeucesWild New Member

Yes, I'm all for this. This is a step in the right direction for airsoft!:)

4. Swoledaddy

Swoledaddy Active Member

east moline
    I think this would be amazing. Don't rush the production. Make it perfect or as close as possible anyway. Awsome idea. Can't wait to see what it turns out like.

5. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    Sweet. And you're from Kansas. Double Internet points for you my friend

6. Retrospection

Retrospection Member

Kimballton
    I would definitely download that!!!

7. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    Its a very cool idea, but my only concern is that, it would be hard to pull off you gloves (iPhones and androids are heat sensitive) during play and link up with this system. I would just simply take too much time to download and process that much real time information for it to be effective during battle. And I would defiantly not take my phone out during a game or Milsim. Radio's work wonders. But I do like the idea I just don't think a phone app would be a good means off using this data.

8. iunruh

iunruh New Member

Manhattan
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. I've been planning this for about 2 months now and I've gotten quite a bit of the internals finished. I'm talking ~30 pages of feature specs and 20,000 lines of code (with unit tests).

I wanted to gauge the community's interest in such an idea, so give me a shout out if you're interested.

I share that concern as well and I'm looking into alternate means in which to interact with the system, including voice commands and a more robust UI that can is made for people wearing gloves.

The system works in the background and constantly downloads data and shares GPS positioning data. This way, if you want to look at your phone, there's no wait for new data, it's already been synchronized. Ideally, you could have your phone attached to your forearm (using a case like the ones people use when they jog).

9. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    Well I really hope it works out and I might need to check out one of those forearm adapters. I'm defiantly going to check out the app when it comes out.

10. tallandcreepy

tallandcreepy New Member

Ladson
    How would you keep the enemy from using your data? Would there be a password protected parties, or something along those lines?

11. iunruh

iunruh New Member

Manhattan
    To access the system (whether by web, phone, or through the raw API), you have to authenticate with a username and password. All data is sent over SSL to avoid eavesdropping (if your enemy is REALLY determined).

Once you're authenticated, you can only see data pertaining to the team that you're joined with. The ability to join a team can be restricted by an administrator to prevent people from changing teams in the middle of a round.

12. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Well-Known Member

China Grove
    Cool I'm interested in this as well, you should make the app laptop friendly as well, like be able to send data to a laptop back at the base spawn so that the whole team can see what you see as that respawn, that would be cool.

13. Darek

Darek Member

You fine sir are a genius and I would take no hesitation to buy your app especially if you pick me to get it for free if you decide to charge for it ;)

But I would definitely shove this app down my team's throat especially since I'm the team leader lol

14. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    I will say this reminds me of that $500 GPS tracking system that you could mount to your gun to know where other people with the GPS where. But this sounds way more cost effective, and I would definitely get behind this.

15. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Yeah frostbite I remember that.
    OT: this app sounds great and I support it for the sake of improving the sport. The idea with the simple jiggers band is great. I have one already and am more ten willing to use it and I'll just add a protective layer to the case to ensure it isn't damaged

16. Darek

Darek Member

Maybe even add a realtime map of where your team is

17. iunruh

iunruh New Member

Manhattan
    That's one of the central features, being able to see where any members of your team are that are equipped with the app.

Yes, my intent is to use as much existing infrastructure as possible. That's why I intend to have support for Android/iOS phones/tablets (native apps), feature phones/laptops (web interface), and basic phones (SMS + telephone). All the interfaces use plain old IP, so they'll work under 2G/3G/4G, WiFi and ethernet.

18. Darek

Darek Member

God whenever I try to suggest something you just say "already added" kind of and better then I already thought an awesome app would be.

I will definitely shove this down my teams throat now

19. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

This is really a great idea. I will be following the product through your website and any updates on here