G and g combat machine m4 raider shorty

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Jake1161, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Jake1161

Jake1161 New Member

So this is the gun I'm thinking about ordering off line for my first gun. The only thing I want to know if it will be good or bad in outdoor play. The only place I'm really going to play is at the bing field in edwardsville so just plazas let me know

2. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize Active Member

OKC
    It will be a great gun for outdoor play! But since its outdoor I wouldn't get the short barreled. Go with the long barrel raider instead.

3. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime Active Member

Satellite Beach
    I would recommend an ICS sportline M4 or a JG M4 over the G&G combat machine.

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    I would recommend the G&G Combat Machine over either JG or the ICS. The G&G stands a better chance of lasting you out of the box without you having to open the box and fix a bunch of stuff that isn't assembled correctly from the factory.

5. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Barrel length doesn't contribute to accuracy. My 12.5" AR shoots just as far as my 14.5" AR on Semi-Auto.

I second this, but only if you can tune a gun.

This is definitely true, but in the future, if he has plans to upgrade later on, it'll be more of a PITA to deal with this especially considering you will want to replace a majority of both the internals and externals.

6. Knief

Ann Arbor
    That'll depend on the upgrade. If he just wants a bit more power and accuracy out of it, a G&G CM will take a 400 FPS spring just fine, and of course a barrel and bucking is a drop in to anything. If he's looking to make a real build out of it down the line, then there are definitely better options. Unfortunately, those options are either much more expensive or require out a lot of work out of the box to make reliable even with stock parts. This is why cheap guns aren't great for the indecisive. Your choice is either something you don't have to work on at all, but will require much more work if you want to get the most out of it, or something you have to work on immediately but will require much less work if you want to get the most out of it.

7. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    I actually recommended the ICS sportline for that reason. Have the combat machines improved sometime in the past 9 months?

8. Devgru98

Devgru98 New Member Supporting Member

Polo
    Actually, yes they have. I got one last christmas, and it broke rather quickly, but I purchased a raider with all intentions of upgrading to the max on internals, and haven't touched them yet. I'm making 130-150 ft. shots rather easily as well. Runs great.

9. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Any specifics on what has improved?

10. Knief

Ann Arbor
    None, they're pretty much the same guns they've always been. Reliable out of the box, good but not great performance, looks pretty decent, and the best deal for the price for somebody who doesn't want to touch the box. Airsoft companies rarely ever have short term quality drops or improvements outside of the occasional bad run of parts (CA ARs in like, 2007 or so had terrible gears, for example) and new product releases with understandable first-run type issues. The "they've improved recently" line comes from people trying to reconcile their good experiences with the ridiculous and hyperbolic unfounded hate. This false perceptions of up and down swings has been going on since I started playing the game, but really got going when CA released it's AR series to thunderous applause for the first few months until they started destroying themselves.

G&G Combat Machines have always been reliable in stock form. That's not to say that they don't produce a lemon here and there, everybody does. But in general, they'll work out of the box and work for a long time. They shoot well stock, though they could benefit from a better inner barrel. When G&G cut costs to get guns out at the $150 mark, they took a step down in materials, mostly externally, and a bit in things like wiring, but they maintained their quality assembly practices. When JG started producing guns in the same price range, they opted to stick with stronger parts to keep up with their unnecessarily stiff springs and cut on assembly. The results of each decision show. G&G's Combat Machines run fine stock. JGs have problems stock but you can get more with less when you start upgrading. That's the way it's been since these guns first came out (after some growing pains from JG, but again, new companies always struggle to find their place in the beginning) and that's the way it's stayed.

11. Devgru98

Devgru98 New Member Supporting Member

Polo
    I second this, although the motor quality is better on recent models in terms of ROF.

12. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    G&G CM runs fine stock, but they still require tuning for better airseal. i wouldn't recommend their gearbox for high performance builds. all the DSG CM's that i installed cracked the front end. fortunately, i had spare JG gearboxes to replace them. i haven't cracked a JG front end yet, but i have seen some.

the one piece hopup on G&G are much more convenient then the two piece designs. my CQB weapon of choice are upgraded CM's. for christmas, i'm replacing my kids CQB primaries with DSG ICS CXP's.

13. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    @ others If nothing has changed, neither has my opinion on ICS sportline>CM for out of the box reliability and performance.

@ My mom gave me permission to spend my own money I earned through various, legitimate jobs on a p*, and when my dad found out he completely freaked out that my mom gave me such a large Airsoft "present". Please adopt me. I'll be good.