G&G G96 Best Possible Modifications

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by DualNature, Oct 28, 2012.

1. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    Im going to be trading my KMP-9 for a G96 within a week here. I would like to get this thing to be a 250ft gun, maby even 300 if possible.
    I know the few problems that people have with them, the nozzle and the hopup unit.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What nozzle would be best for my needs, it has to be 550 or less with .20's and must be more consistent than the stock short nozzle.
    How would you install it? I hear some people say the stock nozzle is glued in, and others say its a part of the assembly and needs to be milled out.
    The hopup i hear are really inconsistent, so what can be done about that? possibly modify it for a VSR-10 hopup and barrel assembly?
    I also notice alot of people cut down the barrel length, will this actually help with the accuracy and consistency at distance? and what length would be best.
    Please tell me if my following theory is correct,
    It would be better to buy a new barrel than cut the stock one. As the end wont be grooved to allow even expulsion of gas around the BB as it leaves the barrel. With a straight and possibly uneven cut from a hack saw wouldn't it allow gas to expel from one side just a fraction of a second before all the others, causing the BB to throw off in one direction.
    As for the Gas inconsistency that comes with all gas guns, i would like to run a HPA rig. But a little different than most people.
    I want to find a small enough gas cylinder to fit in a "battery bag" of sorts on the stock of the rifle. Then i wouldnt have a hose running to somewhere on my rig, i could keep it all tight and controlled :)
    Have any of you ever done this? if so, how did it work out.
    Lastly, do any of you have any experience doing this with a G&G G96, or a Tanaka M700/Bell M700 as there all very similar.
    How difficult was it to get the gun to shoot beyond 250ft (im going to run .36)
    I can do all the work on my own, im really skilled with gas guns :) and machine work. So, what can i expect for price.
    Any and all help is much appreciated, as i would love to have the best sniper on the block :D
    Anywho.. i searched the forum and didnt come up with anything to suit my needs. If there is a thread and im outa place, please let me know

2. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    R or ER Hop. .

3. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    You can run 12g CO2 cartridges to cut down on size. Airsoftforum has a huge thread on rigs.

4. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    Come on guys, i need more feedback and help than this.
    For example,
    Will a Laylax Zero trigger fit into a G96?
    and is it worth the insane $200 pricetag

5. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

You need to understand first of all, that a trigger that is used to upgrade a spring rifle is useless for a gas rifle. Gas rifles need no over-priced trigger groups... instead, many will upgrade their gas rifles with over-priced and cumbersome high pressure air rigs.

The G&G G96 is a gas operated bolt action rifle. G&G makes many upgrades for other gas platforms like the Tanaka rifle systems and the KJW M700. All of the upgrades that they make for aftermarket use, have been incorporated into the G96. These upgrades enhance the stiker in the magazine, seal better with nicer seals etc. You might need a better hop-up rubber, and some will say that you need to swap out the hop-up chamber... I say get the rifle, learn the system, shoot a bag of ammo and waste 100 cans of gas... then you will know what you need to fix or upgrade. $200 is a great price for a quality rifle, the G&G G96 is well built.

Here are some videos of my G96:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0VzvsP1cI&feature=plcp[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEc_atuu998&feature=plcp[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmS5mZNHNY&feature=plcp[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUwK6FBuoIo&feature=plcp[/ame]

I rarely upgrade a rifle, and I never buy or trade for a rifle based on the available upgrades... I just do not buy into the whole upgrade hype. Besides, the money saved allows me to buy the rifles I want.

Good luck toy you in your research.

6. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    would 134a be a good way to decrease the FPS slightly?
    Or could i weaken the hammer spring? then it would let less gas from the mag, which would decrease the FPS in theory..
    Its got to high of a chance to fail the chrono tests here in the MN area. Our limit being 550 w. .20g bbs.
    As for modifications, most will be my screwin around to find the best possible combination. but i do know it will NEED a nozzle and or HPA to get the consistency between shots. other than that, everything else is experimentation

7. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

With an HPA rig, you should be able to dial in your fps, and you will not have to mess with R134A... You could also try "Duster gas" You can find the gas at most Home Office stores like Office Max etc. But finding a way to use the gas is one issue, and yes, the FPS will be lower, but you will still be inconsistant. Duster gas is the small can of air used to blow out keyboards etc... it is not very popular, but can be used to meet FPS limits.

8. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    Yeah :/ thats what i was thinking. I could always cryo my mags and cheat the chrono XD but then i would get banned..
    Idk, What is the best way to go about an HPA rig? I want it small and tight to the gun.. maby hollow out the stock and throw in a small cylinder (large enough to be efficient) and have a regulator so i can play with the PSI
    Is it even possible to hide one in the stock without wrecking the gun

9. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Did you even bother searching the other forum I mentioned... it goes into great detail explaining rigs... brainy is the guy who created it IIRC. Hell, I think he we something similar to what your envisioning. But you know what, I don't feel like doing your homework for you.

10. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    ^ shoulda asked sooner, but will an HPA even out the consistency caused by having a short nozzle that comes with the power bolt.

Dragon,
    I watched your videos before you even posted them XD
    I know the G96 is a top notch gun, its just i need to push it out as far as possible.
    I dont know if you noticed, but most AEG's only fall 50' or less shy of sniper distance. That can be covered in a matter of seconds by someone who is running. So i wanna squeeze every Ft. possible out of this gun. Make it less of a possibility that i will get taken out by sprinters
    If i can get close to 300 ft. i will double most AEG's ranges. Even triple short guns range, like PDW's and P90's Thats my ultimate goal.
    I think im going to buy a very long inner barrel. Then test it indoors, and cut it down 10mm after every mag. Measure the distances i can shoot, and with what type of clusters. Then thru process of elimination i will find the perfect barrel length :) Obviously i will try to find a stock barrel at this length, or end up buying another to cut down again. As i will only know its the best length when i go to short and start loosing ground again

11. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    It should eliminate most of the inconsistencies. However, gas rifles performance increases with a pings barrel. It helps push extremely heavy BB's better. When I get my HPA rig perfected I plan on running a 600mm erhopped LRB'd barrel with .88g bbs. We are talking ridiculous range at that point.

Edit: And with your post under me I'll kindly unsub from this thread and leave it to you... this is a volunteer job. You can't force someone to search for a thread for you...

12. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    I cannot make heads nor tails of there sight.
    I looked for well over an hour, i find stuff about 134a over green gas, things about how to tweek your guns performance to its best.
    Basically a whole ton of stuff that has nothing to do with what i need.
    Im new to that site, so have no idea where to dig to find it.
    So cut the attitude, and just assist. Im knowledgeable with gas guns, and prefer to help myself. Not some little guy who wants everything read out for him.

13. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    Anywho, thanks for your help thompson.
    You would run .88? so what do you think would be the best weight in a field legal sniper?
    i currently have some .36's that i got a while back and never used (javelin greens)

14. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    ...dang it... I actually like this thread unlike most these days...

Heavier is better for accuracy right? They are less effected by wind..

So,you want to use the heaviest bbs possible. Wanna hear the best news about gas rifles? They don't lose the fps as fast as an AEG. What I mean is an AEG shooting 400 with .20s will shoot drastically slower with .25s. With gas rifles they only shoot a little bit slower. This means your .43s are still traveling fast enough o not be dodged. All of this means you can use the heaviest bbs you can find.

*Disclaimer* FPS is actually a medium for energy. This means you will technically be cheating the chrono.

EDIT: Very reluctant to post this.... http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Constructing-Air-Rig-56-t127562.html

Very first page on bing when searching HPA rig for airsoft..........

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  15. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    Thank you for commin back :) I wasnt trying to come off as rude... im sorry for the mix up :/
    Hmm.. i always knew my GBB ar shot much straighter, and with more consistent velocity. But i would have never thought that the weight doesnt effect the round as much... interesting, well then. i guess i will have to invest in some really nice heavy weights, maby some Golden balls.

16. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    You see the link I edited in?

17. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    I do now XD lol, guess i should pay closer attention

18. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Its a great read. Long but tons of information.

19. DualNature

DualNature New Member

kerkhoven
    Thanks Thompson, its really alot of information. Im reading it now :) im def. going to run HPA on my rig...
    Now be patient with me as i havent read that far yet,
    but is there a such thing as to small an HPA tank to run.. If i go small enough to use a stock bag, or put it in the stock itself will it negate the advantages of HPA?
    Because i wanna go quite small... roughly the size of a pencil bag? perhaps..

20. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Its been a long time since I have read through it all... IIRC if you wanna go small you gotta go CO2.