G&G gearbox

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by CplFlores, Aug 30, 2012.

1. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

I recently acquired a G&G v.2 gearbox and I took the trigger return spring from it to fix my other gearbox. I am thinking about rebuilding his gearbox for outdoor use. How good are the stok parts? I was checking for compression and I think I need to replace the o ring on the piston head. Gonna redo the wiring as well. How reliable is this gearbox. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    I wouldnt know, I've never used G&G, but i will say I've never heard a lot of praise. Sorry I can't be much help, the closest I've gotten to one was when I almost repaired one, only my friend forgot to bring it. At least this thread bump may be of assistance.

3. xXTacoMcFacoXx

xXTacoMcFacoXx New Member

I opened my G&G gearbox up after about 10 000 shots and there was pretty much no wear on the piston, gears, etc. Only a couple teeth had some very minor flaws on them. And this was before it was shimmed properly or AOE corrected.

4. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    I've seen you posting multiple times purely based oh what you've "heard" you probably ought to learn a bit more. I would rate G&G reliability horrible from my experience (combat machine) motors are bad, wiring is bad, my nozzle broke the first third time I used the thing.

5. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

Where were you stationed at, marine?

6. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    what are your plans? with proper tuning, they handle 400/20 with no issues.
    here's one of my upgraded G&G being used to test batteries...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-d5mF7bVow"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-d5mF7bVow[/ame]

7. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

Gonna use it for indoor field use for now till I get enough money to buy a high torque setup.

8. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Only G&G gun I've had was the RK-104. The gears were pretty durable, still using the pinion gear in my heavily upgraded AUG, one of the strongest pinion gears I've seen actually. The piston was allright, it was stripped in my RK-104 because I overestimated the tuning of the gearbox and ran it with an 11.1v li-po. If your G&G GB has brass bushings like mine had, I recommend replacing them with steel bushings. You may also wanna replace the piston head, it's kinda meh IMO. If you shim the gears and do the usual reliability mods it should hold up pretty well.

9. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    No stock gearbox can run a 11.1v lipo reliably. The G&G gearboxes are great. It is the motors an wiring that suck.

10. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    I agree with Kmkraft12, the gearboxes themselves are great, the wiring is meh, and the motors are hit or miss. I've had some pull M150s at 15rps with cheap 9.6v batteries (that was a long time ago though), and some that don't work on anything besides the stock spring.

I've put M150s on the stock gears without issues, same goes for the rest of the stock parts. The bushings are fine for most applications. They start to deform at the M160 level though. The piston head is fine, but kinda munches on sorbo padding worse than any other piston head I've seen.

11. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well, the ROF was only about 25rps, and it did hold up for a while, but yeah, I was asking for trouble running a stock gun with an 11.1v li-po.

12. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

Just planning on using it indoors for now. Planning to put in a home made MOSFET as well.

13. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    In my experience with G&G:

G&G piston heads: these typically need a lot of oiling and a new o-ring to seal well.
    G&G gears: seem to be mostly machined, which is awesome, but I haven't tested them extensively.
    G&G brass bushings: freaking awful, I've seen several break within a few hundred cycles with the usual HT neo motor/ high speed gears/ M120/ 11.1v lipo tuneup.

14. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

What if I am running stock motor and a Modify S90 spring?

15. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    You'll be just fine.

16. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

Thanks! By the way, do any of you know how to wire a home made MOSFET?

17. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    There are guides ALL over the internet, try searching for some. I'm fairly sure this forum has one in the upgrades section.

18. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
  19. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

The center pin is the "drain" pin, right? The left is the "gate" and the right is the "source"? If it is, where does the drain wire go, the trigger switch or the motor? I was looking at the diagram and the description of the guide I was looking at and they contradict each other. I have the link on my previous post on this thread somewhere

20. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012