G&G M14 problems

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Thatguyoverthere1111, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    I recently bought a G&G M14, and I've a had few problems already.

1. Wiring and motor are hearing up like crazy. I was using a 9.6v 1600MAH battery and I shot semi with roughly 4000rds through it. any thoughts?

2. Fuse blew at the end of the day, it's a small Fuse that I've never seen before, as don't have replacements, should I bypass?

3. I was shooting on semi, but was getting a 2rd burst occasionally. Not sure this is much of a problem per say, but worth noting.

4. The bbs are curving up even with the hop-up all the way off... I turned the hop-up halfway and it was curving way up. Any thoughts?

Any input will be appreciated. All the internals are stock. I was using King Arms bio .20s, TSD .23s, and Goldenball .25s throughout the day. Mostly TSD .23s.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    Woohoo! A G&G gun.
    Your motor and wiring heating up is because of bad shimming and/or bad wiring and motor.
    G&Gs have terrible wiring, not too amazing motors either.
    The shimming usually isn't TOO bad, but G&G could've easily messed up.

Tune up the gun before bypassing the fuse.
    Add deans, reshim, relube, correct AOE. Adding a new motor while your at it isn't a terrible idea.

As for the hopup;
    What BBs are you using?

3. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero Active Member

use .30s as you should be T_T and the hop up should work fine. If it doesnt then use even heavier.

4. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Ugh, I didn't want to have to touch the internals yet... Check the the part i added at the end of my OP for BBs. Also, is a G&G M14 shooting 410FPS unusual?

5. ShrapnelMike

ShrapnelMike New Member

For the gun heating up, I would suggest checking your motor height. I'm not a big fan of G&G motors and I learned from first hand experience is that they aren't very reliable. I would just bypass the fuse; they aren't very necessary for airsoft guns. I would suggest opening up your gearbox and spacing out the trigger contacts a bit because G&G builds them a little bit too tight. As for the hop-up, I'm not sure. I don't know if you can reset the hop-up like in a gas gun. That's all I've got. Hope it helps!

6. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Well I'll let my tech take a look tomorrow...

Would bypassing the fuse be a good idea if the motor and wiring aren't all that great?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  7. ShrapnelMike

ShrapnelMike New Member

I wouldn't imagine it to be bad because airsoft guns aren't getting much voltage intake to begin with.

8. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Well the thing is, seeing as the motor isn't the greatest possible motor, the fuse protects it from overheating. And even with the fuse it was super hot. So by bypassing it I might overheat my motor, which I don't want to do.

9. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    WELL HELLO THERE! Look what I found...

image-983183428.jpg

For those of you that can't tell, that's the wires poking through the rubber tubing. This wire is the same wire that the battery plugs into, and goes in to trigger assembly. Could this be the reason is was heating up so much? Either that or I was just top trigger happy... Which I think I was and that's why the fuse blew...

10. Courage

Courage New Member

Lexington
    Pic is low res. What is it?

11. Courage

Courage New Member

Lexington
    If it needs to be teched, take it to one. Those things are a PITA to take apart.

12. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Did you see the description under the pic? And I am taking it I one. Probably this week.

13. Shootingstarr

Shootingstarr New Member

Lockport

1. If what I'm looking at are exposed wires in that picture then yeah thats a huge problem. Either re insulate with liquid electrical tape or just regular electrical tape but do a good job at it!

2. If it's the same fuse thats in my m14 it's just a small glass fuse, a hardware store or automotive shop will have them. Should you bypass?.......In my opinion never, fuses are safety devices put there for your protection as well as protecting your guns electrical components.

3. Could be from the short. Your drawing so much power from the battery that it's arcing the contacts. Another thing you can check is the selector switch make sure is working properly with the selector plate lever (I think thats what it's called.). If that lever is not fully engaged or disengaged it could be giving you those 2 shot bursts.

4. Ah I know this one myself. My m14 does this exact same thing. To me it seems that these hops are meant to use heavier bb's. Before I did any changes to my gun it didn't shoot .2, .23, .25 well at all. I did get it to use .28's thou. My suggestions would be to sand down the nub a little and/or sand the bucking down so the bump is not as far into the hop chamber.

14. Shootingstarr

Shootingstarr New Member

Lockport
    The G+G v7 gearboxes are stupid easy to take apart put back together.

15. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    I think he means taking down M14s in general, because I had to take down a CYMA the other day and it was a PITA...

16. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    I think I'll get my tech to look at it. I have a 60 day defect warranty so that can get fixed for free!

I don't like bypassing them either. I think I'll solder on a larger fuse box so I can use my 25 amp fuses I already have.

Damn I did short it didn't I? I was way too trigger happy, I need to slow down...

I'll probably start using .25s or .28s. Maybe even .30s. I'll save my .23s for my M4.

Edit: is the trigger guard supposed to be flush with the receiver? Or like this:

image-1172452618.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  17. Shootingstarr

Shootingstarr New Member

Lockport

Yep, if it's on warranty use it. Tell them everything that has gone wrong on it.

As far as I'm concerned as long as you have some type of fuse your good.

Using a Mi-Mh battery? If your statement was true then the guns wiring is substandard and should be replaced under the warranty with better wiring. I think the wires where pinched between the stock and the receiver and when it heated up it created a short, again thats a manufacturing problem not yours.

.25's, Unless you have a bag laying around I wouldn't even bother with them just use the .28's and .30's.

Yes the trigger assembly looks like that when it's installed.

18. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Thanks for all the help! I'll make sure to give it to them. I'll replace the motor and wiring eventually anyway.

19. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    I think my problem was just trigger control... I was using two hi-caps per game (20-40mins) all day, so I think I'm just spraying... Once I get heavier bbs and switch to mids I think I'll lose that habit. Now I need to replace the fuse... I have yet to go to a hardware store to pick some up lol.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012