G&P Crapped the bed :(

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by 703, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 703

703 Active Member

Alright so I have a G&P magpull moe. I'm using a 7.4 lipo battery in it and put at max ~1000rnds each time I play and generally shoot semi auto. I've owned it for about 6 months now so it has less than 9k through it.

So about 2 weekends ago I noticed it was having a problem. The gearbox would lock up on semi auto & only full auto worked. Semi worked but it would just lock up after a few shots.

So today I have a friend coming over to rewire the gun with thicker wire and I noticed the gun isn't working at all. Pull the trigger and nothing happens, No motor noise, no gearbox turning, nothing... Checked the fuse and it wasn't the issue.

Any suggestions ? Links to parts would be helpfull as well.

Edit : Honestly this makes me not like G&P... I always recomended G&Ps before but Im not sure now. I've had JGs for years without any problems using the same type of battery.

2. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Is your battery charged? If so, I would just require the whole thing.

3. 703

703 Active Member

Yup tried 2 different lipos. Both work on my other gun so they arn't the issue. Gun is wired to deans but im having my friend rewire it with thicker wire because I hate the stock thin wire that is in it.

4. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Well my friends JG had done that . He adjusted the motor height and make sure your motor is in right or the pinion gear will not engage. I am not a very experienced tech but you just described the exact situation he had so I felt compelled to help.

5. Hydra572

Hydra572 New Member

Superior
    I don't mean this as a flame, but helpful advice. If this was the problem, he would feel some torque and hear some sound from the motor trying to turn over. When there is no sound at all, it is almost always an electrical problem.

6. 703

703 Active Member

Any other suggestions ? Ill let you know what I find once we open the GB in a little bit..

7. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Did you put your ear all they way up to the pistol grip. Usually people don't realize how quiet the noise is

8. CajunAirsoft

CajunAirsoft New Member

Well Hydra if I was in your position that's what I would say ,but it's how my friend got his working right. I think it is his motor to gearbox connection wires.

9. GreenListerine

GreenListerine New Member

Check the solder joints. It's always nice to clean the contacts and motor brushes while you're in there.

10. Adman234

Adman234 Active Member

Wildwood
    Sounds like the growing G&P epidemic.

Pancake, R&R, Levirocks, and others have all had this same issue, crapping contacts.

Clean off the contacts and install a mosfet. This is the only way to fix IMO.

11. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    I just get some dialectric grease from autozone and dont worry about a mosfet anymore. vertually no contact wear...

12. 703

703 Active Member

Once we dissasembled it we found the contacts to be "rusted" and in pretty bad shape. Tried cleaning them but didn't have an effect. Im probaly going to order a new trigger assembly.

I wasn't going to use a mosfet anyways, I have a ICS without one and it's been over 2 years since I baught it used and I havn't had any issues with it.

So final result is Im probaly going to just order a new trigger assembly.

13. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    I wouldnt even order a new one, go to a local shop and dig through there parts bin for a used contact

14. Adman234

Adman234 Active Member

Wildwood
    OK.... then the new trigger assembly will die too.

Mosfets are easy and cheap, and will prevent this from happening EVER again.

15. 703

703 Active Member

What is your definition of cheap ? It could be way different from mine... I've been told by many people a mosfet isn't needed and my other gun doesn't have one and it's been running strong for many years

16. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    DE fets are $18 shipped. They work great for most setups, as long as it isn't too crazy.

They keep your contacts safe, basically.

17. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    Bluedragon micro fets are obnoxiously small and cost $15 shipped.