G&P Gearbox Motor Grip Threads Stripped

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Sutro, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Sutro

Sutro New Member

San Francisco
    The motor grip threads on the gearbox stripped.

Most likely due to repeated use, ive taken out the gearbox over 100 times. Last time i did not clean out the old loctite gunk, was not paying attention and stripped the threads while re-installing the grip. The screws appear to be M3 type.

I searched and found many answers, bad or wrong info or dated answers. Mostly useless answers.

I saw a post about using different size screws but my threads are now smooth holes. What would you do?
    Replace gearbox?
    Retap the threads?
    Buy a different (bigger) screw?
    Thank you for your time.

Steps that will be taken.
    -pay more attention to gearbox then a rerun of lettermans last show. I overtorqued the GB.
    -loctite seems useless for the gb shell other then piston heads... The gunk build up created additional pressure since i did not clean it out. Tore my threads out... I wont use it anymore for anything other then piston head, not even the motor grip scew holes.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  2. Dannyboyextreme

Dannyboyextreme Active Member

Burbank
    you say the threads are smooth holes now, if you have a tap set i would say make new threads and go buy screws for that thread

3. Sutro

Sutro New Member

San Francisco
    I dont have any on hand. Im going to homedepot to see if i can simply find some screw that is slightly bigger that will thread itself to the hole. Maybe a size 6 screw. Otherwise ill just get a new shell.